Public Administration Optional Books
Public administration is one of the 48 Optional Subjects in UPSC. just like every optional subject, public administration is divided into two papers as well- Paper 1 and Paper 2. Each paper carries 250 marks, and the syllabus for each paper is different.
That’s why the public administration optional booklist for each paper is different as well. Below we have mentioned the list of highly recommended Public Administration Optional Books for effective preparation.
Public Administration Optional Books Paper 1
Paper 1 of the public administration syllabus for UPSC includes topics related to administrative theory. The best public administration books for UPSC to deal with those topics covered in paper 1 are given below:
- Introduction: Mohit Bhattacharya – New Horizons of Public Administration
- Theories of Administration – D. Ravindra Prasad, P. Satyanarayana, and V.S. Prasad
- Structure of Public Organizations by R.K. Jain : Public Sector Undertakings
- Administrative Behaviour : Paul Hersey : Organisational Behaviour
- Accountability and Control by Mohit Bhattacharya
- Ferrel Heady : Public Administration - A Comparative Perspective
- IGNOU Lessons on Public Policy R. K. Sapra : Public Policy
Public Administration Optional Books Paper 2
Paper-2 of pub ad UPSC syllabus deals with Indian Administration. The Public Administration Optional Books cover the evolution of Indian administration, public sector undertakings, state government and administration, and so on.
Books for Public Administration Optional Paper 2
B.N. Puri Administrative History of India (Vol. I, II ) (Volume. III)
D. D. Basu An Introduction to the Constitution of India central Administration by A. Avasthi
Central Administration by A. Avasthi
J.D. Shukla State Administration
T.N. Chaturvedi District Administration
S.R. Maheswari Local Government in India
How to Cover UPSC Public Administration Optional Books?
As there are tons of options when it comes to choosing public administration books for UPSC, candidates need to have an effective strategy to cover the books. It is not practical to cover all the Public Administration Optional Books we have mentioned above; in this case, following a systematic approach would be helpful.
- Candidates should not be dependent on multiple books for reading one topic; however, gathering additional information should be a priority.
- Following several books for one topic would cause confusion. Instead of this, candidates can make notes while covering a topic from the public administration books for UPSC.
- Additionally, it would be helpful for the candidates to just glance through the notes in the revision period rather than reading the whole book.
How to Make Notes with Public Administration Optional Books?
Note-making is undoubtedly the most important part of UPSC preparation. Note-making is not tough if you follow the right approach. We will give you some tips on how you can make notes with Public Administration Optional Books below.
- First, you need to understand the core of the topic while reading from the Pub Ad optional books.
- The notes should be explanatory but precise. Don’t make too long notes, or you will end up covering the whole book.
- Highlights the most important points of the topic.
- Try to find the What, Why, and When questions of a particular topic.