The first and very important step in the preparation, which students generally tend to ignore, is knowing the CAT 2021 syllabus and objectively looking at each of the topics. This will help in understanding which all topics require more time for preparation so that you can plan accordingly. The syllabus, pattern of the exam, and essential topics related to the exam should be scrutinized very carefully.
CAT Preparation Strategy 2021
The CAT 2021 exam preparation strategy involves focusing on the three sections mentioned below:
- Quantitative Ability
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
The CAT syllabus 2021 is divided into categories, and each of the three categories consists of different topics. To make the work easy, prepare a chart that includes the topics from each of the sections, and accordingly, approach the syllabus. This will help in dividing time between topics that require more dedication and topics that you are familiar with.
If one puts effort with dedication and wholeheartedly, one can master all the concepts within 4 months. Here are the CAT preparation strategies that include important tips, study material, plan-wise study, and other aspects of preparation.
CAT Preparation Material 2021
An ample amount of study material is available. A lot of books, question banks, preparatory books, and sample question papers are available online and offline. Selecting the right material is very important for systematic studies. Make use of sample question papers and practice papers to understand your strengths and work on your weaknesses. Solving authentic PYQPs (Previous years Questions Papers) of the last 10-15 years can give you clear ideas about concepts & a variety of questions that have been asked in CAT of past years.
For basic concepts of QA refer to any good book with good practice questions. For topic-wise online practice, you can use Daily Quiz.
How to Start Preparing for CAT by Self Study
CAT 2021 preparation is possible through self-study also. Just make sure you are regular enough with your studies. Procrastination is a big challenge when it comes to studying on your own. Here are a few tips you should follow in case you decide to study on your own:-
- Go for the best study material
- Also, procure some online study material from some coaching institutes.
- Join selected one or max two excellent online study groups on social networking sites like Facebook, Telegram, etc.
- Buy a good mock test series. For CAT 2021 & other MBA Exams Mock test series
Break Down Your CAT 2021 Preparation
Since there is a sectional cut off, therefore it gets all the more important to score well in all three sections. Keeping that purpose in mind, break your preparation down; section wise and topic wise and invest your time accordingly. It’s like working on the small chunks and perfecting each of these small chunks.
- Identify the sections you are facing challenges in and identify the very topic within that section that is the cause of your concern.
- More often than not, people claim that QA is their weakness whereas what turns out is; it is just two topics in QA they are facing problems in. So be very specific, when it comes to your shortcomings!
Devise A Workable Study Plan for CAT 2021
The next step is to prepare a study plan because it will help you to keep a track of the CAT 2021 syllabus and your progress.
1. Follow CAT Preparation Timetable
- It is essential to follow a timetable while preparing for CAT 2021.
- CAT 2021 preparation requires dedicated hours of concentrated studying. Though, make sure not to set unrealistic goals and deadlines as the same can get demotivating when not achieved.
2. CAT 2021 Section-wise preparation
- It is necessary to prepare section-wise as it helps in breaking all sections individually and focusing on each of the topics. This helps in learning the concepts and their application. Breaking down the sections and individual topics helps in analyzing the area that requires more focus.
3. Shortcuts and Tricks
- The shortcuts and tricks are the primary components of the preparation process.
- Many a shortcut technique is being taught in the Aptitude and Quantitative part using which a problem can be solved in lesser time.
4. Clear Your Concept
- Start from the very basics such as fast calculation techniques, and applying tricks to solve the questions in less time.
5. Practice makes a man perfect
- Rigorous practice is required so that you are well of the types of questions you may be asked. Also, you become well acquainted with your strengths and weaknesses.
- A SWOT analysis is a must for each section.
- You must also regularly practice CAT exam mock test to identify your mistakes and improve accordingly.
Be Regular & Punctual in Your Studies
Regularity is the key to success. It is one of the fundamental attributes which a student should inculcate. Being regular with anything accelerates efficiency and accuracy, and both are much needed in your CAT Exam.
CAT Preparation Books 2021
It is important that we choose books that have authentic sources from credible Authors. Since CAT has three sections following are some of the best books for CAT preparation 2021
Books for CAT Preparation 2021
How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT
30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary Mass Market Paperback
Wilfred Funk & Norman Lewis/ Simon & Schuster
High School English Grammar & Composition
Wren & Martin
Attempt CAT Mock Tests
Make sure you attempt CAT 2021 Mock tests on a regular basis followed by thorough analysis. Also, go for a sectional quiz for sectional revision.
- Taking mocks religiously is very crucial.
- Rectifying the errors is a must. Analyze the areas where you need extra practice.
- Understand the pattern of mistakes you do.
- Also, try to take notes if you find a different type while attempting mocks or sectional quizzes.
- This will get you another set of question banks which you may want to revise again.
Practice CAT Previous Year Papers
Your preparation doesn’t stand complete until you practice past years’ CAT question papers in a real-time situation. That is when you know where you actually stand and how much is yet to be done. This will also boost your confidence.
CAT Preparation Time Management
- The best strategy is to work on better time management skills.
- This is important for preparing for CAT 2021 and also while taking it.
- After attempting a mock test, it becomes easy to analyze the areas you are getting stuck in and the areas which are comfortable to you. Lack of time management is one of the reasons many candidates fail to clear the cut-off despite solid preparation.
- Divide each of the sections and time you want to dedicate solving each question.
- Do not waste time on a question if you are not able to solve it in a stipulated time; sometimes not solving a question can be a great strategy, too.
CAT VARC Preparation 2021
Since, VARC section consists of questions from Reading comprehension and Verbal ability, vocabulary and Grammar. For scoring better in Reading comprehension one needs to start early i.e one should develop a reading habit. The more you read the better you will be at scanning the passages and understanding the words. Verbal ability can be tackled by solving the previous year's papers and attempting mock tests.
CAT DILR Preparation 2021
For DILR the concepts need to be clear. The student needs to constantly practice the questions. The aspirant needs to practice questions on Tables, Line Charts, Pie Charts, Bar Charts, Mixed Charts etc.
CAT Quantitative Aptitude (QA) Preparation 2021
This is one of the tough sections of the CAT exam. This section includes questions from Algebra, Arithmetic, Geometry and Mensuration, Number System. The concepts need to be clear. Formulas and theorems should be clear. And again this section requires a lot of practice by attempting the previous year's papers and mock tests.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
If you are aiming to crack CAT, join BYJU'S Exam Prep Online Classroom Program where you get :
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card