Best IPS Officers in India
An IPS officer is the one who leads intelligence agencies like the National Investigative Agency (NIA) and Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), state and Union territories police forces, Central Armed Police Forces, National Security Guards (NSG), etc. Check the list of best IPS officers in India so far who have set an example for others through their fearless attitude and exceptional command over work.
- He joined the Indian Police Service in 2009 and was appointed in Bihar and Ujjain before getting posted in Morena, Madhya Pradesh in early 2012.
- He was constructively involved in arresting criminals accused of mining scams which became a reason for this death.
- When he was trying to stop them, he was hit by a tractor carrying illegally mined stones and was killed in March 2012 by members of the mining mafia, which provoked the debate on corruption in India.
Shivdeep Waman Lande:
- He is an IPS Officer of the 2006 Batch who is currently serving in the Anti-Narcotics Cell as Deputy Commissioner of Police, Crime Branch (Mumbai) in Maharashtra Police on Central deputation.
- In his career, he has arrested many fake cosmetic sellers and the medicine mafia which is why he is one of the best IPS officers in the country.
- He is also very active in taking strict action against eve-teasers.
- He took strict action against eve-teasers and became a hero among young girls of the cities.
- In just 10 months of his career as an SP, he not only curbed the medicine mafia, and illegal wine shops but also forced strict traffic laws and won the hearts of many people with his selfless service and devotion to work.
Ajit Kumar Doval:
- At present, IPS Ajit Kumar Doval is the National Security Advisor of India.
- He joined the Indian Police Service in 1968 in the Kerala cadre.
- He was actively involved in anti-insurgency operations in Mizoram and Punjab.
- Also known as India’s James Bond or Sherlock Holmes.
- He is the first IPS officer to get the gallantry award Kirti Chakra, which is only reserved for the Army after his success in various national missions.
First Woman IPS Officer in India: Kiran Bedi
Kiran Bedi is known as the first woman IPS officer in India who is one of the most popular civil servants of India who fought against women's exploitation and drug abuse and initiated various campaigns for the same.
- She was born on 09 June 1949 in Amritsar (Punjab), India.
- She joined the Indian Police Service in 1972 and served in various roles such as narcotics officer, administrator, and antiterrorist specialist.
- She is the one who introduced prison reforms in India by improving the Tihar Jail in Delhi which is one of the largest prisons in the world. She worked to reduce the corruption and human rights abuses there.
IPS Officer Aftab Ahmed Khan
Another one on the list of top IPS officers in India is Aftab Ahmed Khan. He was born on 27 February 1941 and died on 21 January 2022. He was a former IPS officer who was famous for his encounters with Gangsters in Mumbai and as the founder of the Anti-terrorism Squad (ATS) in 1990, inspired by the Los Angeles Police Department's Special Weapons & Tactics (SWAT). He joined politics in the later years of his life and died at the age of 81.
Youngest IPS Officer in India
When we are talking about the top IPS officers in India, it is important to also check who is the youngest IPS officer in the country so far. Safin Hasan became the youngest IPS officer at the age of 22 by getting an All India Rank (AIR) of 570 in the UPSC exam in 2018.
Hasan’s life is full of struggles. He was from a financial deficit household. According to reports, his father was a wage earner who used to carry bricks, and his mother used to work in homes to teach her son till the 10th. Despite all these struggles, he cleared the exam with good rank and became the youngest IPS officer in the country.
List of Woman IPS Officers
Both men and women are eligible to become IPS officers in India if they satisfy other eligibility criteria. Some of the famous IPS women officers in India are as follows:
- Kiran Bedi
- Ilma Afroz
- N Ambika
- Meera Borwankar
- Pritpal Kaur
- Soumya Sambasivan
- Aparajita Rai
- Merin Joseph