TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus for Prelims consists of two subjects: General Studies and Aptitude & Mental Ability Test. The General Studies section shall have degree-level questions, while the Aptitude & Mental Ability Test will have SSLC standard questions. We have provided candidates with the TNPSC Group 1 Prelims Syllabus to help aspirants understand the critical topics.
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus for General Studies
Candidates who apply for the Group 1 exam will have to first appear in the first stage of the Preliminary exam. This will be a qualifying stage and only those who clear this will be appearing for the Mains exam. Therefore, it becomes important to go through each topic of the TNPSC Group 1 Prelims syllabus.
General Science Syllabus for TNPSC Group 1
- Elements and compounds, bases, acids, salts, fertilizers, petroleum products, pesticides
- Scientific temper and scientific knowledge - conceptual learning vs rote learning – the power of reasoning – science as a tool to understand the present, past, and future
- Nature of universe – mechanics – general scientific laws – properties of matter, motion, force, and energy – everyday application of the basic principles of electricity, mechanics and magnetism, sound, light, heat, laser, electronics, nuclear physics, and communications
- Main concepts of classification of living organisms, human diseases, life science, evolution, genetics, nutrition, physiology, health, and hygiene
- Environment and ecology
Current Events Topics
- History – national symbols – latest diary of events – profile of states – eminent personalities - sports and places in the news, books, and authors.
- Polity – political system and political parties in India – general administration and public awareness – welfare government-oriented schemes and their utility, problems in public delivery systems.
- Geography – geographical monuments.
- Science – the latest inventions in technology and science
- Economics – economic issues - current Socio.
Geography Syllabus for TNPSC Group 1
- Physical features – rainfall, monsoon, weather and climate – location – water resources – minerals, soil, natural resources – rivers in India – agricultural pattern - forest and wildlife.
- Social geography – distribution and population density – racial, major tribes, and linguistic groups.
- Transport – communication.
- Disaster management - natural calamity – environmental pollution: preventive measures and reasons – green energy - climate change.
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus for History and Culture of India
- Indus Valley Civilization – Delhi sultans, Guptas, Marathas and Mughals – age of Bahmani Kingdoms and Vijayanagaram – south Indian history.
- Unity in diversity – language, race, custom, characteristics of Indian culture.
- Change and cultural history of India - continuity in the Socio.
- India is a social harmony and secular state.
TNPSC Group 1 Prelims Syllabus for Indian Polity
- Union executive, panchayat raj, union legislature – state legislature, state executive – local governments.
- Citizenship, fundamental duties, rights, and directive principles in state policy.
- Election – the rule of law – judiciary in India.
- Spirit of federalism: state and center relationships.
- Corruption in public life – Lokpal and Lokayukta – anti-corruption measures – empowerment of women – the right to information – human rights charter, consumer protection forums.
- Constitution of India – salient features of the constitution – state, union, and union territory, the Preamble to the Constitution.
Syllabus for Indian Economy
- Nature of Indian economy – an assessment – five-year plan models, Niti Ayog, and Planning Commission.
- Structure of employment generation and Indian economy, agriculture and land reforms – application of technology and science in agriculture – rural welfare-oriented programs – industrial growth – social problems – education, population, health, poverty, employment.
- Sources of revenue – fiscal policy and monetary policy – Reserve Bank of India – resource sharing between state and union governments – finance commission – services tax and goods.
TNPSC Group 1 Prelims Syllabus for Indian National Movement
- National Renaissance – Indian National Congress – an early uprising against British rule – Bhagat Singh, B.R.Ambedkar, Bharathiar, Jawaharlal Nehru, V.O.Chidambaranar, Kamarajar, Thanthai Periyar, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Rajaji, Mahatma Gandhi, Subash Chandra Bose, and others – the emergence of leaders
- Partition and communalism.
- Various modes of agitation: militant movements and growth of Satyagraha
History, Heritage, Culture, and Socio-Political Movements in Tamil Nadu Syllabus
- Role of Tamil Nadu in freedom struggle – the role of women in the freedom struggle – early agitations against British rule
- Thirukkural : (a) relevance to everyday life (b) significance as secular literature (c) Thirukkural and universal values – equality, humanism, etc. (d) impact of Thirukkural on humanity (e) philosophical content in Thirukkural (f ) relevance to Socio – politico-economic affairs.
- Evolution of 19th and 20th century socio-political movements in Tamil Nadu – justice party, growth of rationalism – Self-Respect Movement, Dravidian Movement and principles underlying both these movements, contributions of Thanthai Periyar and Perarignar Anna
- History of Tamil society, Tamil literature from the Sangam age till contemporary times, and archaeological discoveries
Development Administration in Tamil Nadu Syllabus
- Welfare schemes for several sections of people and political parties – the rationale behind access to social resources and reservation policy – economic trends in Tamil Nadu – impact and role of social welfare schemes in the socio-economic development of Tamil Nadu
- E-governance in Tamil Nadu
- Health and education systems in Tamil Nadu
- Geography of Tamil Nadu and its Impact on Economic Growth
- Achievements of Tamil Nadu in diverse fields
- Social harmony and social justice as the cornerstones of socioeconomic development
- Human development indicators in Tamil Nadu and a comparative assessment across the Country – the impact of social reform movements in the socio-economic development of Tamil Nadu
TNPSC Group 1 Syllabus for Aptitude and Mental Ability Test
- Simplification – highest common factor (HCF) – percentage – lowest common multiple (lcm)
- Simple Interest - area - compound interest - volume - work and time.
- Proportion and Ratio.
- Logical Reasoning – number series – visual reasoning – puzzles-dice – alphanumeric reasoning