In this article, we are discussing SEBI full form, SEBI history, SEBI Powers, SEBI vacancies, etc. Go through this article to get an answer to all your queries regarding SEBI.
SEBI Full Form
The full form of SEBI is The Securities and Exchange Board of India
SEBI Official Logo
Image source: Wikipedia
History of SEBI
on 12th April 1992, SEBI was given statutory powers to regulate the commodity and security market in India with the passing the SEBI Act 1992 by the Indian parliament. Later it was constituted as regulator of capital markets in India under the resolution of the Government of India. SEBI has its headquarters in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It has offices in Jaipur and Bangalore. SEBI has also opened its offices in other cities like Patna, Kochi, Chandigarh in the financial year 2013-2014.
Check also: SEBI Grade A Notification 2020
SEBI manages its members as
- Chairman of SEBI is nominated by the Union Government of India.
- It appoints two members that are Officers from the Union Finance Ministry.
- It also appoints one member from RBI
- The rest remaining five members are nominated by Union Government of India where three of its members shall be whole-time members.
Organizational Struture of SEBI
Ajay Tyagi replaces U K Sinha as the chairman on 10th February 2017 and took the charge as the chairman on 1st March 2017.
List of Chairman of SEBI
|Ajay Tyagi||10th February 2017 to Present|
|U K Sinha||18th Feb 2011 to 10th Feb 2017|
|C.B Bhave||18th Feb 2008 to 18th Feb 2011|
|M. Damodaran||18th Feb 2005 to 18th Feb 2008|
|G.N Bajpai||20th Feb 2002 to 18th Feb 2005|
|D.R Mehta||21st Feb 1995 to 20th Feb 2002|
|S.S Nadkarni||17th Jan 1994 to 31st Jan 1995|
|G.V Ramakrishna||24th August 1990 to 17th Jan 1994|
|Dr. S.A Dave||12th April 1988 to 23rd August 1990|
Powers of SEBI
To carry out the functioning of the organization smoothly SEBI performs the following tasks.
- It approves the by-laws of the Security exchange.
- To make any changes in the laws of the organization.
- It also inspects the books of accounts and asks for returns from the respective offices.
- It also inspects the books of account.
- It also tries to compel companies to invest their shares in the security market.
- It is also responsible for the registration of brokers and sub-brokers.
Functions of SEBI
- It protects the interest of the investors
- It promotes the development of the market.
- It regulates the business in the market stock exchange.
- It promotes and regulates the self-regulatory organization.
- It prohibits insider trading.
- It restricts fraudulent practices in the market.
- Conducts research for efficient working of the security market.
SEBI is responsible majorly for the three groups mentioned below
- issuers of securities
- market intermediaries
Vacancies in SEBI
SEBI has released its official notification for the recruitment of SEBI Grade A officers. There are a total of 147 vacancies in SEBI grade. Recruitment The recruitment process is still going on. Eligible candidates can apply online for SEBI Grade A recruitment till 31st July 2020.
This was all about SEBI Full form, SBI History, SEBI powers, and SEBI vacancies. We hope the article has served its purpose. In case you have any query, you can let us know below in the comment section. We will be happy to assist you.
Why BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series?
- Unlimited access to 18+ Bank and Insurance Exam mock tests
- Mock Tests designed by Exam Experts.
- Detailed Performance Analysis.
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
Commentswrite a comment