Other important topics under this section include:
- Atomic equivalent
- Physical and chemical changes
- Oxidation and reduction
- Mole concept
- P block elements
- Properties of air and water
- Elements, mixtures & compounds
- Molecular weights
- Chemical formulae and equations
- Laws of chemical combination
- Preparation of soap, glass, ink, paper, cement, etc.
- Fertilizers and their types
- States of matter
- Dual nature of matter
- VSEPR theory
- Transference of heat (rate of reaction, factors affecting the rate of reaction, rate expression, mechanism of reaction)
- Different types of solutions
- Laws of thermodynamics
- Laws of chemical combination
- Redox reactions in aqueous solutions
- Colligative & periodic properties
- Mendeleev’s periodic table
- Types of elements.
Understand the basic concepts of Chemistry
- Understand the concepts rather than memorize them.
- Divide your preparation time topic-wise and stick to one topic at a time.
- Almost all past candidates feel that the questions asked are easier as compared to the X and XII boards.So, stick to the basic concepts of all topics.
- You should also have basic knowledge of the classification of elements, compounds, and mixtures.
Simple chemical formulae and equations
Make short notes of all chemical formulae and simple equations in such a way that it is easier to refer them during last-minute revisions. You can make notes of chemical formulae as follows:
Brine / Rock Salt
Di-Hydrate Aluminum Oxide
Hepta-Hydrate Magnesium Sulphate
The general formula for different series of hydrocarbons is given below.
Alcohol and Ether
Aldehyde and Ketone
Acid and Ester
Balancing of chemical equations
- Ace balancing chemical equations.
- Follow the basic rule of balancing equations - the number of atoms of each element on the LHS (called as reactants) should be equal to the number of atoms of each element on the RHS (called as products) for each element.
- To balance it, we need to add coefficients accordingly.
Take the following equation for instance,
N2 + H2 ------> NH3
Here, the reactants are N2 and H2 and the product is NH3. The equation, however, is not balanced as the number of atoms of N are 2 on the LHS and 1 on the RHS. Similarly, the number of atoms of H are 2 on the LHS and 3 on the RHS. Hence, we need to add a coefficient on both sides. If we add the coefficient 3 before and 2 before NH3, we achieve a balanced equation where the number of atoms of N is 2 and the number of atoms of H is 6.
N2 + 3H2 ------> 2NH3
Balancing equations is quite simple, and the underlying concept should be understood rather than trying to remember different equations.A little bit of practice can help you do well in this question in your CUET 2022
Preparation and Properties of Hydrogen
Hydrogen is another important topic expected to feature in the chemistry examination of CUET 2022
Let’s see some easy facts about hydrogen -
Hydrogen can be prepared using many methods. The basic formula applied in each method is listed below. A few important properties of hydrogen are:
- It is a colorless and odorless gas.
- It is particularly important in a number of acid-base reactions.
- It is used abundantly in the processing of fossil fuels as well as ammonia production.
- Its melting point is -259.2o
- Its boiling point is -252.87° C.
The methods for the preparation of Hydrogen are:
- Method 1 – By the action of dilute strong acid on metals such as zinc
Zn + H2SO4 --------> ZnSO4 + H2
- Method 2 – By the reaction between an amphoteric metal and a strong base
2Al + 6NaOH + 6H2O -------> 2Na3 [Al(OH)6]3 + 3H2
- Method 3 – By electrolysis of water
2 H2O -------> 2H2 + O2
In a similar manner, learn about the preparation and properties of carbon dioxide and oxygen. In all the cases, you only need to have a general idea about the compounds involved, the chemical equation, and the process.
Preparation methods for other substances
- You should also know about the preparation method for substances or products like soap, ink, glass, paper, cement, etc.
- You need not have in-depth knowledge of each preparation method and must prepare only the chemical equation involved and a gist of the procedure.
- When it comes to the preparation of such substances, the questions asked are direct and no extra information is usually required.
For CUET 2022 preparation
Follow a strict schedule for preparation
Stick to one topic at a time
Prepare short and easy notes on important topics