Forest and Wildlife
Forests and natural Flora in Uttar Pradesh
- The temperate, tropical, deciduous, and thorny forests are found in the state.
- In Uttar Pradesh first forest policy was declared in the year 1952 and the second forest policy was in the year 1998.
- Forest Corporation was established in Uttar Pradesh on November 25, 1974.
- Total Forest area is 14,769 sq km, which is 6.98% of the total area of Uttar Pradesh, in which 2617 sq km is dense forests (1.09%), 4069 sq km is medium density forest (1.69%), and 7993 sq km is open Forest (3.32%).
- The plantation area in the state is 7044 sq km, which is 2.92% of the total area of Uttar Pradesh.
- The area of shrubs in Uttar Pradesh is 803 sq. Km, which is 0.33% of the total area of Uttar Pradesh.
- Forest area between 2013 (13th report) and 2015 increased by 112 sq km
- 5 districts have the highest forest area (in descending order): Sonbhadra (2539 sq km), Kheri (1274 sq km), Mirzapur (805 sq km), Pilibhit (688 sq km), Lalitpur (587 sq km).
- 5 districts having the lowest forest area (increasing order): Sant Ravidas Nagar (3 sq km), Mau (11 sq km), Sant Kabir Nagar (14 sq km), Mainpuri (14 sq km), Varanasi (17 sq km).
- 5 districts have the highest forest percentage (in descending order): Sonbhadra, (36.77%), Chandauli (22.24%), Pilibhit (18.67%), Mirzapur (18.27%), Chitrakoot (18.22%).
- 5 districts having the lowest one percent (in ascending order): Sant Ravidas Nagar (0.30%), Mainpuri (0.51%), Deoria (0.59%), Mau (0.64%), Ballia (0.74%).
Important schemes related to forests
- Social Forestry Scheme was started in 1976.
- U.P. Forestry project was started on March 1998.
- Operation Green Yojana started in 2001
- The supreme organization of the conservation of wildlife in the country is the Indian wildlife board; the Prime Minister is the chairperson of this board.
- Zoo in Uttar Pradesh is in Lucknow and Kanpur.
- India's first-night Wildlife Park (Night Safari Park) is in Greater Noida.
- National Lion Safari Park is in Etawah.
- National Elephant Safari Park is also located in Etawah.
- The rescue and rehabilitation centre of elephants is in Etawah.
- The rescue and rehabilitation centre of bears is located at Mathura.
- The country's largest alligator sanctuary is in the Chambal river area.
- Peacock protection center is proposed for Vrindavan.
- The National Park of Uttar Pradesh is in Dudhwa, which was declared in 1977.
- The first tiger reserve of the state is Dudhwa, which was declared in 1987.
- The second Tiger Reserve is in Pilibhit-Shahjahanpur districts, which was declared in June 2014.
- The state declared its eco-tourism policy in 2014.
- There are a total of 11 wildlife sanctuaries in Uttar Pradesh.
- There are a total 13 bird sanctuaries in Uttar Pradesh.
- The first wildlife sanctuary of the state is Chandraprabha Wildlife sanctuary which was established at Chandauli in 1957.
- Uttar Pradesh's largest wildlife sanctuary is Hastinapur Wildlife sanctuary, which has an area of 2,073 sq km.
- Uttar Pradesh's smallest wildlife sanctuary is Mahavir Swami Wildlife sanctuary, which has an area of 5.40 sq km and is located in Lalitpur. Uttar Pradesh's first bird sanctuary of state is located at Nawabganj. Which was established in 1984.
- Uttar Pradesh's largest bird sanctuary is Lakh Bahashi (लाख बहाशी) located at Kannauj.
Uttar Pradesh's smallest bird sanctuary is Patna bird sanctuary which is located at Eta
List of Wild Life Sanctuaries in Uttar Pradesh
|1||Bakhira Sanctuary||Sant Kabir Nagar district|
|2||Chandra Prabha Wildlife Sanctuary||Chandauli district|
|3||Hastinapur Wildlife Sanctuary||Amroha, Bijnor, Ghaziabad, Meerut, and Muzzafarnagar districts|
|4||Kachhua Sanctuary||Varanasi district|
|5||Kaimoor Sanctuary||Mirzapur and Sonbhadra districts|
|6||Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary||Bahraich district|
|7||Kishanpur Wildlife Sanctuary||Lakhimpur Kheri district|
|8||Lakh Bahosi Sanctuary||Kannauj district|
|9||Mahavir Swami Sanctuary||Lalitpur district|
|10||National Chambal Wildlife Sanctuary||Agra and Etawah districts|
|11||Nawabganj Bird Sanctuary||Unnao district|
|12||Okhla Sanctuary||Ghaziabad, and Gautam Buddha Nagar districts|
|13||Parvati Arga Bird Sanctuary||Gonda district|
|14||Patna Bird Sanctuary||Etah district|
|15||Ranipur Sanctuary||Banda and Chitrakoot districts|
|16||Saman Sanctuary||Mainpuri district|
|17||Samaspur Sanctuary||Rae Bareli district|
|18||Sandi Bird Sanctuary||Hardoi district|
|19||Sohagi Barwa Sanctuary||Maharajganj district|
|20||Suhelva Sanctuary||Balrampur, Gonda, and Shravasti districts|
|21||Sur Sarovar Sanctuary||Agra district|
|22||Suraha Tal Sanctuary||Ballia district|
|23||Vijai Sagar Sanctuary||Mahoba district|