The word environment is derived from the French word "environ" which means to encircle or surround. It is a word for the surrounding in which organisms live. The environment consists of biotic and abiotic substances. Environmental Studies is a multidisciplinary science, which may require the attention of experts from different branches of science when a decision regarding environmental matters has to be taken and is very important for getting clean drinking water, hygienic living conditions, and clean and fresh air.
Significance OF Environmental Studies
1. Environment Issues Being of International Importance
2. Problems cropped up in the wake of the development
3. Explosively increase in pollution
4. Need for an alternative solution
5. Need to save Humanity from Extinction
INSIGHTS INTO PROBLEMS IN EVS
The teaching of Environmental Studies is a critical human activity. Environmental Study is not only related to the particular subject but related to the group of the subject. Environmental Studies is related to the establishment of national goals and on the other part related to the establishment of the goal of the school, teachers and students toward the environment. The major problems of the Environmental Studies are:-
1. The Syllabus of Environmental Study is not according to the need of the students and is arranged haphazardly.
2. Lack of Resources- inefficient and ineffective utilization of the resources.
3. Lesser scope of exposure to natural resources as resources is scarce and less information about natural resources.
4. Community Resources are not properly utilized.
5. No scope of personal experiences in the environmental curriculum as teachers is not well qualified.
6. Lack of practical experience and drill.
7. Methods of teaching are not adequate.
8. The attitude of students towards the subject.
9. Environmental Pollution Control System is not properly taught according to the understanding level of the student.
10. Natural Resource Conservation System is not properly taught according to the understanding level of the student.
1. The Syllabus of Environmental Study is not according to the need of the students and is arranged haphazardly:- EVS is a very crucial subject and its syllabus is crucial too if its syllabus is not properly understood it may create a problem for prospects. To train children, it is important to locate and comprehend the relation between the natural, social and cultural environment. But the syllabus of the EVS is not properly managed according to the need, the requirement of the children, and even awareness about environmental issues is not properly communicated.
2. Lack of Resources- inefficient and ineffective utilization of the resources:- As the EVS is about environment protection, awareness and knowledge about the activities of the environmental issues but it is limited to issues of sanitation and health, and inadequate information about pollution control, biodiversity conversation, waste management and conversation of natural resource all these issues required expert suggestions as resources are scares in nature and proper way of optimal utilization of resources is not known to the concerned person.
3. Lesser scope of exposure to natural resources as resources are scarce and less information about the natural resources:- Research and Development play a major role in making students and teachers aware of the environment, but because of inadequate funds and inefficient technology, we still lag. A teacher can teach in the class to the students about soils, sand and cement and sometimes can plan a visit to a nearby park or farm but the information rendered is only limited. For example:- there are many types of soil available- Black, Red, Sandy, Clay and Silt and these soils are available in different parts of the country so it is impossible to make students aware of each type of soil.
4. Community Resources are not properly utilized:- Threat from global warming, an increase of greenhouse gases and inefficient renewable energy resources. Less awareness regarding the use of solar energy for a variety of purposes. Proper measures should be taken to make students curious about social phenomena, starting a family and moving on to wider spaces. The community here can play a major role by making them aware of social responsibility, educating them about the environment by making them celebrate Environment Day on the 5th of June of every month.
5. No scope of personal experiences in the environmental curriculum as teachers are not well qualified:- A well advisory board should be set up to make the student aware more about the environment, disaster management and environment protection & pollution. As these are the burning issues to be discussed in the coming scenario.
6. Lack of practical experiences and drills:- As three types of environments exist- Physical, Social & Cultural, and Psychological. As Physical Environment is classified into Solid, Liquid and Gas and these state of matter should be properly taught as they are based on students. As Biological Environment consists of Plants (flora) and Animals (fauna)so these should be properly taught along with practices i.e. measures to save water, save the earth, and how reduce pollution. - play, dance and song competitions can be arranged for the same.
7. Urban Problems related to energy:- Transportation, Socio-economic changes.
8. Global Warming
9. Green House Gases
10. Acid Rain
11. Ozone Layer Depletion
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The most comprehensive exam prep app