Semiconductor memory is an essential part of GATE ECE and computer science and technology associated with digital data storage. It stores data in metal-oxide-semiconductor on a memory chip made from silicon integrated circuits, naming it as MOS memory. It is one of the branches of digital circuits that forms a crucial part in electronics assembling. It is the whole unit that describes different memories and their importance in digital data storage. Although the semiconductor memories questions for GATE isn't too vast, yet it plays a crucial role in understanding Digital Circuits' core. If you choose GATE ECE or Electronics and Computer Engineering, semiconductor memories for Computer Science are of utmost importance. The article focuses on Semiconductor Memories book, Semiconductor Memories for computer science, Semiconductor Memories topics for gate ECE, Semiconductor Memories mcq pdf, study notes.
Important Semiconductor Memories topics for GATE ECE
Read-only Memory (ROM)
ROM is also considered as the non-volatile memory implements; the use of combinational circuits. Different sub-categories of ROM are:
· Mask Programmed ROM
· Programmable ROM (PROM)
Nonvolatile Read/Write Memory (RWM)
The structure of RWM is similar to ROM, which uses ultraviolet light and electrical technique as an erasing method. It has two types:
· Erasable PROM (EPROM), using ultraviolet light method
· Electrically Erasable PROM (EEPROM), using electrical technique of erasing.
RAM or Random Access Memory
Irrespective of the device’s physical location, RAM ensures one to read and write data at the same time period. It has the following types:
· SRAM (Static RAM): It retains data till the power supply
· DRAM (Dynamic RAM): Capacitors store data in DRAM, requiring periodic refreshments.
PLDs (Programmable Logic Devices)
It is a special type of integrated circuit, featuring rewritable memory technology. It has three types:
· Programmable Logic Array (PLA)
· Programmable Array Logic (PAL)
· Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA)
Tips to Solve Semiconductor Memories Questions for GATE
- Know the marks weightage: Before you start solving, get an idea of the total weightage of Semiconductor memories MCQ questions in GATE ECE. You may lose confidence in other questions if you give maximum importance to the ones with low weightage.
- Understand the basics: When you solve the Semiconductor Memories quiz, try to understand the straightforward meaning of what it says. You should have subtle knowledge of the basic points before you solve application-oriented questions.
- Make strategies for answers: It takes less time to solve easy questions. Hence, keep it for last if the question is tricky or it takes a longer time for you to solve. Generally, the semiconductor gate questions aren't lengthy like arithmetic ones.
- Solve previous years' questions: The best way to get a command over semiconductor memories GATE syllabus is to practice previous years' questions thoroughly. Moreover, you can get used to the general pattern of questions, making it easier to solve when you appear for GATE.
Importance of Semiconductor Memories in EE and EC section of GATE Exam
- Compulsory section to attempt: When you go through the semiconductor memories notes for GATE PDF and the question pattern, it falls under the third section, which candidates choose individually. If you have selected ECE or EE, you should learn about semiconductor memories.
- Understand digital circuits better: Semiconductor memories are the sub-chapters of Digital Circuits. You should know about memory and data storage for a thorough understanding of the circuit working.
- Defines the core of memory: Semiconductor memories define the memory, the basic component of Digital electronics. Modern technology supports magnetic storage, which stores crucial information and data in special-designed ICs.
- Help you score better: Being a vital topic of Digital electronics, semiconductor memories connect you with several other topics that help in easy understanding. Moreover, when you learn it, you can effectively grasp the other components of the electrical assembly.
Most Recommended Books For Semiconductor memories
Here is the list of semiconductor memories books and semiconductor memories study material for GATE ECE:
Digital Logic & Computer Design
M. Morris Mano
Digital Circuits and Design
Salivahanan S. Arivazhagan
Why Prepare Semiconductor Memories Questions from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep is the one-stop destination to learn about semiconductor memories. At one place, you get notified about the trending changes, the top semiconductor memories GATE questions and answers pdf, syllabus, notes, and complete details on the topic. Moreover, experts guide you with an apt solution. It is the best site to learn from top tutors and prepare for the toughest GATE exam with subtle strategies. Learn how to prepare for the exam and make strategies with top-notch tips, GATE ECE study materials for semiconductor memory.
Q. What is semiconductor memory?
Semiconductor memory is the MOS memory that stores data in metal-oxide-semiconductor.
Q. Which are the semiconductor memories?
RAM, ROM, PROM, EPROM, EEPROM, DRAM, SRAM are the typical semiconductor memories
Q. What are the characteristics of semiconductor memories?
It stores data in magnetic form, has high storage capacity, gets affected by the magnetic fields, and alike.
Q. Which semiconductor uses ultraviolet light as an erasing method?
EPROM or Erasable PROM us UV lights as an erasing method.
Q. Which memory loses its content when the power supply is lost?
Volatile memory loses its content when the power supply is lost.