Fundamentals for GATE ECE exam comprises of the basics of mathematics. Ranging from arithmetic and algebra to geometry and trigonometry, questions revolving around the fundamentals of maths are not only among the most asked questions in entrances but also often play a crucial role in determining the cutoffs and qualification benchmarks in these various exams such as GATE ECE. Besides acting as a decisive measuring yardstick of the candidate’s mathematical foundation skills, they act as a basic prerequisite for students who aspire to pursue higher education. Hence, it is important for you to have a grip to solve questions on the fundamentals of mathematics for GATE ECE exam. You should practice GATE ECE fundamentals practice tests, MCQs to ace this part.
Important fundamentals topics for GATE ECE
Following are the fundamentals topics for GATE ECE, and all other branches that constitute a significant part of the fundamentals GATE syllabus.
It is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of numbers and all their associated properties, including addition, division, multiplication, subtraction, extraction of roots, and exponentiation. It helps us draw relations among numbers and draw relevant observations subsequently.
It is the branch of mathematics that brings together geometry, number theory, and analysis. Broadly, it deals with the study of various mathematical symbols and the rules that are used to operate on these symbols.
It is among the oldest branches of mathematics that deals with the size, distance, shape, and relative position between various figures. In most entrance examinations, candidates are asked to study the properties of these shapes in either 2 or 3 dimensions.
Trigonometry is the branch of mathematics that revolves around the relationships that exist between the constituent angles and side lengths of triangles. Candidates are expected to make use of trigonometric ratios to determine the various unknowns within a triangle.
It is the branch of mathematics that helps us study continuous change and the variations that take place between different values that are connected by a function.
Tips to solve Fundamentals questions
The following tips prove to be useful while solving fundamentals for GATE ECE and all the remaining branches in GATE as well as other entrance examinations.
- Be proficient with the mathematical theories first before you attempt solving them. That way, you will be efficiently able to deal with all the variations of a particular concept should they appear in an examination.
- While solving questions in fundamentals, try breaking down the problem statement by drawing diagrams wherever possible. This allows you to visualize the problem in a much better manner and solve it quickly and with minimal errors.
- While solving trigonometric questions, it is considered a good practice to express the entire trigonometric equation in the form of sines and cosines.
- While solving calculus questions, students are advised to know the nature of the functions and remember standard formulae before attempting to solve the problem
Important of Fundamentals in GATE ECE exam
The following points discuss the importance of fundamentals in GATE and other entrances and other competitive examinations.
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of maths helps you tackle and solve the more advanced concepts and problems that are generally asked in competitive examinations.
- A sound understanding of the various fundamentals in mathematics helps you develop solid problem-solving skills, besides arming you with strong analytical and logical reasoning skills.
- Mathematics carries a heavy weightage in the GATE examination, and thus fluency with fundamentals gives you an edge over your competitors.
- Fundamentals of maths allow you to solve the different types of questions that are asked under the quantitative aptitude and data interpretation sections of competitive examinations.
Most recommended books for fundamentals:
The following fundamentals books are among the most recommended books to candidates who are attempting GATE ECE fundamentals online test or fundamentals online quiz. They are the most covered topics of the fundamentals syllabus for GATE and serve as the perfect resource for compiling fundamentals GATE notes.
Author/ Publishing house
Objective Mathematics for Competitive examinations
Elements of Coordinate Geometry
Higher Engineering Mathematics
Why prepare fundamentals for BYJU'S Exam Prep?
Gradeup’s comprehensive bank of fundamentals notes for GATE ECE gives you an in-depth insight into the types of questions that frequently come in the GATE ECE exam. On BYJU'S Exam Prep, you will get the best study resources that are needed to prepare for the GATE ECE Fundamentals topic. All the questions on fundamentals for GATE ECE are compiled by our engineering faculty team for a broader understanding of the concepts. You will get a variety of questions with solutions for the GATE ECE Fundamentals topic as well as study notes PDF.
What are the topics for Fundamentals for GATE ECE?
The fundamentals topic for GATE ECE comprises of algebra, trigonometry, calculus, arithmetic, geometry.
What are the three basic trigonometric ratios?
Ans: The three basic trigonometric ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent
What are the 4 main concepts of calculus?
Ans: The four main concepts of calculus are Limits, functions, derivatives, and integrals
What does the slope or the gradient of a line in geometry denote?
Ans: It is indicative of the direction and the steepness of the line
What is the formula for calculating the compound interest of a sum?
Ans: The formula for calculating the Compound Interest of a sum is A = P(1 + r/n)nt. In this, P denotes the Principal amount, r is the interest rate, n is the number of times interest is compounded per time period and t is the number of time periods.
What is meant by standard deviation?
Ans: Standard Deviation refers to the measure of the dispersion or variation of a set of values about the mean value.