A basic control system converts an input into the desired output. There are various types of classifications of the control system — continuous-time and discrete-time systems and SISO (Single Input-Single Output) and MIMO (Multiple Inputs and Multiple Outputs) systems. This topic is of immense importance in the GATR ECE, Engineering Services Exam (ESE), GATE, and ISRO examinations. The Basics of Control Systems for Computer Science prepare the students for future jobs.
The Basics of Control System syllabus for GATE contains topics like block diagrams and their description, open and closed-loop systems, stability analysis, frequency response, Root Loci, Bode and Nyquist plots, and other such tools.
Important Basics of Control System Topics for GATE ECE
The following are some of the Basics of Control System topics that a GATE aspirant must prioritize while prepping for the exam:
Open- Loop control system
This system has a controller or actuator for getting the desired output. There is no feedback system for error detection.
Closed-Loop Control system
The actual output, in this case, is compared to the desired output using an additional measure.
Feedback & Frequency Response
Feedback control systems work in closed-loop systems where parameters of the output are used for controlling the input. There are two types of feedback – positive and negative.
Block Diagram Reduction
By rearrangement, one can simplify complex block diagrams to help evaluate the performance of the system.
Maeson's Gain Formula
The formula is used for drawing a block diagram using forward paths, feedback loops, path gain, loop gain, the source node, and the sink node.
The electrical and mechanical analogous systems have the same form but differential equations. Learn two essential topics in the Basics of Control System GATE syllabus: Force-Current F-I and F-V Analogy
Compensation and Controllers
Compensation is the method used for modifying the control system to improve its performance. It is done using a Compensator. Controllers are used for maintaining controlled variables at specific values.
Nyquist Stability Criteria & Analysis
Nyquist criterion comes into play to identify roots in a characteristic equation of the system in s-plane.
Tips to Solve Basics of Control System GATE Questions
Here are some tips and tricks that you can use while solving Basics of Control System questions:
- Maintain Basics of Control System GATE notes - It is crucial to refer to exhaustive and significant Basics of Control System study material for GATE ECE from a well-recognized online tutorial class.
- Sample Basics of Control System GATE questions and answers in PDF - This is a big help as almost the entire syllabus gets covered through these Basics of Control System notes for GATE PDF.
- Appear for Basics of Control System online quiz and complete assignments -– Ensure that you complete multiple Basics of Control System quiz and assignments.
- Attempt previous year Basics of Control System MCQ questions - This is another way to strengthen your grasp on the topic and get used to the competitive examination format.
Importance of Basics of Control System for GATE
Let’s see why Basics of Control System is an important topic in GATE and other competitive exams:
- The topic is a crucial topic for Electrical and Communication engineers. The practical applicability of the Control System in real life makes it relevant and exciting.
- The topic is the base or the foundation for other advanced learnings, and, therefore, a necessary part of the Engineering course. If your fundamentals are clear, it will be easy later to grasp other advanced topics. Thoroughly study Basics of Control System GATE questions and answers pdf to get a command over this topic.
- The topic has a substantial weightage in GATE – for the last two years, the weightage was eight marks in the paper analysis. In 2017, the weightage was 20 marks. Thus, it is one topic that needs to be well-prepared. Check Basics of Control System MCQ pdf and prepare well.
- It is essential to study in-depth from high-quality Basics of Control System notes for ECE to ensure that you clear the topic with flying colors.
Most Recommended Basics of Control System books
For GATE and other competitive exams, it is crucial to be well-prepared on this topic. Here is the recommended list for best books on and Basics of Control System GATE notes.
Name of The Book
Name of the Author
Modern Control Engineering
Linear Control Systems
Automatic Control Systems
Benjamin C. Kuo
Why Prepare Basics of Control Systems from BYJU'S Exam Prep?
BYJU'S Exam Prep is a leading online exam facilitator and preparation platform that has helped thousands of students prepare and clear their competitive exams in various fields. For students keen to sit for the upcoming engineering entrance examination like GATE or ECE, BYJU'S Exam Prep offers innumerable resources prepared by the best subject-matter experts. The content of the Basics of Control System notes for GATE in PDF has helped many students understand, revise, and prepare well. There are Basics of Control System MCQ in PDF and Basics of Control System online tests to understand your preparation level.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How much time should I allot to prepare for the preparation of the Basics of Control topic?
You must assign at least a couple of days to prepare for this topic. If you are good at solving problems, you will take lesser time than those who struggle with solving problem sums.
Q. A car moves at a uniform speed of 60 km/hr. What is the feedback element for the driver?
The needle on the speedometer is the feedback element for him.
Q. What is a Stochastic Control System?
It is a control system that works under unknown and random action
Q. What are Resolvers?
A Resolver is a device that helps detect errors in instruments
Q. How can an unstable system be made stable?
By increasing the system's gain, you can convert an unstable system into a stable system.