Economics Book for UPSC Prelims
As we have mentioned above, economics is a part UPSC Prelims Syllabus, and it covers topics like Economic and Social Development, Poverty, Demographics, and Social Issues. Etc. We have mentioned some highly recommended economics books for UPSC below that will be highly beneficial during UPSC Prelims preparation.
- NCERT - Class 11 India’s Economic Development
- Indian Economy by Nitin Singhania or Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- Economic Development & Policies in India – Jain & Ohri
Along with the Economics Book for UPSC, candidates must be well prepared with the current affairs, Indian Budget, and Economic Survey to fetch good marks in UPSC Prelims.
Economics Books for UPSC Mains
Candidates have to deal with the economics section in the UPSC Mains Syllabus for GS Paper 1. The Mains exam focuses mostly on the Indian Economy, Budgeting, Infrastructure, etc. Here is the Best Economics Book for UPSC Mains that will help you fetch good marks. It is important to note here that in UPSC Syllabus for Economics, the focus must be on conceptual clarity and current affairs.
Economics Book for UPSC Mains
Economics Book 1- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
Economics Book 2- Indian Economy Key Concepts by Sankarganesh K
Economics Book 3- The Indian Economy by Sanjiv Verma
Economics Book 4- Indian Economy by Datt and Sundharam’s
Economics Book 5- Indian Economy by Uma Kapila
Economics Book 6- India’s Struggle for Independence by Bipan Chandra
Economics Book for UPSC Optional Subject
In order to excel in the Economics Optional exam, you are required to go through the UPSC Economics Optional Books to have an in-depth study of this subject. The question in the optional papers have a difficulty level of moderate to difficult, and hence solid preparation is required. Some of the UPSC economics books for optional are mentioned below.
- Indian Economy – R. Dutt and KPM Sundaram
- Banking – S.B. Gupta
- Dictionary of Economics – Graham Bannock; T.E. Baxter, Ray Rees
- Economic Growth and Development – Mayer and Baldwin
- Economic Survey: Twelve Five Year Plan: New Industrial Policy – Government of India
- Economics Choice – Koutsweanik
- Growth and Development – M L Jhingan
- International Economics – Bo Soderston
- MacroEconomic Analysis – Edward Shapiro
- Modern Banking – R.S. Sayers
- Monetary Theory and Public Policy – Kenneth Kurihara
- Money Supply in India: Concepts, Compilation, and Analysis: Functions and Working – Reserve Bank of India
- Indian Economy – Ramesh Singh
How to Prepare with Economics Books for UPSC?
To begin exam preparation with the economy book for UPSC, you should follow this strategy in order to fetch good marks in the economics section. Some of the preparation tips are given below.
- You can study from the NCERTs books, which will make you understand the basic concepts of Economy clearly such as Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh and many more.
- Make sure you understand the basic concepts and terms such as Growth, inclusion, Development, and many more.
- Always read a newspaper daily in order to update your knowledge with respect to the country’s recent economic development.
- Focus on clearing important topics of Economics such as banking, Human development, money supply, and others, as understanding the basic concepts is very essential for the aspirants to score well in the exam.
- Go through the Best Books for Economics for preparation so that you can understand the concepts properly and complete the Economics Syllabus for UPSC in a timely fashion.
Important Topics to Prepare with Economics Book for UPSC
Candidates need to cover the Economics Book for UPSC as per the syllabus. It is recommended to cover all the topics mentioned in the syllabus but there are some topics that must be prioritised. The important topics are :
Note-Making with Economics Book for UPSC
Candidates would require short hand-written economics notes during the revision process. The note-making process, with the help of UPSC economics books, can be challenging, as there is a wide range of topics. To make the process simpler for the candidates, we have mentioned some tips on how to make notes from Economics Book for UPSC.
- Choose one topic from the economics book.
- Don’t try to make notes with so many UPSC economics books at a time
- Read the Economics Book for UPSC first, and then make notes the second time you read them
- Make bullet points, and keep the notes short and crisp.
- Apart from the economy book for UPSC, use current affairs as a part of your note-making.
- Make hierarchy charts or flowcharts.
Important UPSC Topics