Economics Book for UPSC Prelims
As we have mentioned above, economics is a part UPSC Prelims Syllabus, and it covers topics like Economic and Social Development, Poverty, Demographics, Social Issues. etc. Below is the complete list of Economics books for UPSC Prelims, that would help the candidates to cover these above-mentioned topics.
- NCERT - Class 11 India’s Economic Development
- Indian Economy by Nitin Singhania or Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- Economic Development & Policies in India – Jain & Ohri
Along with the UPSC Economics Books, candidates must be well prepared with the current affairs, Indian Budget, and Economic Survey.
Economics Book for IAS Mains
Candidates have to deal with the economics section in the UPSC Mains Syllabus for GS Paper 1. The Mains exam focuses mostly on the Indian Economy, Budgeting, Infrastructure, etc.
Here is the Best Economics Book for UPSC Mains that will help you fetch good marks. It is important to note here that in UPSC Syllabus for Economics, the focus must be on conceptual clarity and current affairs. You do not need to refer to all the UPSC Books mentioned here. After going through a few books, you will see an overlap in topics. Therefore, choose the best book that suits your exam preparation.
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- Indian Economy Key Concepts by Sankarganesh K
- The Indian Economy by Sanjiv Verma
- Indian Economy by Datt and Sundharam’s
- Indian Economy by Uma Kapila
- India’s Struggle for Independence by Bipan Chandra
UPSC Economics Optional Books
In order to excel in the Economics Optional exam, you are required to go through the UPSC Economics Optional Books to have an in-depth study of this subject. The question in the optional papers have a difficulty level of moderate to difficult, and hence solid preparation is required.
Some of the recommended Economics books for UPSC Optional are as follows:
- Indian Economy – R. Dutt and KPM Sundaram
- Banking – S.B. Gupta
- Dictionary of Economics – Graham Bannock; T.E. Baxter, Ray Rees
- Economic Growth and Development – Mayer and Baldwin
- Economic Survey: Twelve Five Year Plan: New Industrial Policy – Government of India
- Indian Economy – Ramesh Singh
- The Indian Economy – Sanjiv Verma
- Indian Economy – Mishra and Puri
- Economics – Paul A. Samuelson
- Economics Choice – Koutsweanik
- Growth and Development – M L Jhingan
- International Economics – Bo Soderston
- International Economics – H.G. Mannur or Salvatore
- International Trade – Bo Soderston
- MacroEconomic Analysis – Edward Shapiro
- Modern Banking – R.S. Sayers
- Monetary Theory and Public Policy – Kenneth Kurihara
- Money Supply in India: Concepts, Compilation, and Analysis: Functions and Working – Reserve Bank of India
Economics Book for UPSC PDF
As you can see the list of UPSC economics optional books is quite long, and there are many good books you can refer to in every stage of the UPSC exam. To make things simpler for you we have provided a PDF for the Economics booklist below.
How to Prepare with Economics Book for UPSC
To begin exam preparation with Economics Books for UPSC, you should follow this strategy in order to fetch good marks in the economics section. Some of the preparation tips are given below.
- You can study from the NCERTs books which will make you understand the basics concepts of Economy clearly such as Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh and many more.
- Make sure you understand the basic concepts and terms such as Growth, inclusion, Development, and many more.
- Always read a newspaper daily in order to update your knowledge with respect to the country’s recent economic development.
- Focus on clearing important topics of Economics such as banking, Human development, money supply, and others as understanding the basic concepts is very essential for the aspirants to score well in the exam.
- Go through the Best Books for Economics for preparation so that you can understand the concepts properly and complete the Economics Syllabus for UPSC in a timely fashion.
|Important UPSC Topics|
|IPS Exam||UPSC Exam Date|
|UPSC Notification||UPSC Eligibility|
|UPSC Online Application||UPSC Exam Pattern|
|IAS Exam||UPSC Previous Year Question Papers|
|UPSC Cut Off||UPSC Preparation Strategy|
|UPSC Books||UPSC Exam Analysis|
|UPSC Admit Card||IAS Salary|