Important Vocabulary from The Hindu Editorial: 3rd January 2022
1. Word: Precarious (अनिश्चित)
- Pronunciation: pri-kair-ee-uh s/प्रिकेरीअस
- Part of Speech: Adjective
- Meaning: dependent on chance; uncertain
- Synonyms: hazardous, perilous, insecure
- Antonyms: strong, secure, stable
- Usage in a Sentence: This place is a precarious and unstable area.
2. Word: Ostensibly (काल्पनिक रूप से)
- Pronunciation: o-sten-suh-buh l/ ओस्तेंसिब्ली
- Part of Speech: Adverb
- Meaning: as appears or is stated to be true, though not necessarily so; apparently
- Synonyms: apparently, seemingly, allegedly, superficially
- Antonyms: truly, improbably, unlikely
- Usage in a Sentence: Ostensibly he was on a business trip, but he spent most of the time on the beach.
3. Word: Strain (क्षति पहुँचाना/ विकृति)
- Pronunciation: streyn/ स्ट्रेन
- Part of Speech: Verb, Noun
a. force (a part of one's body or oneself) to make an unusually great effort. [Verb]
b. a force tending to pull or stretch something to an extreme or damaging degree. [Noun]
- Synonyms: stress, pressure, struggle
- Antonyms: relax, rest, compress
- Usage in a sentence: The transport service cannot cope with the strain of so many additional passengers.
4. Word: Transgression (उल्लंघन)
- Pronunciation: trans-gresh-uh n/ट्रैन्ज़्ग्रेशन
- Part of Speech: Noun
a. the act or process of breaking a law or moral rule
b. an act of transgressing; violation of a law, command
- Synonyms: offense, sin, misdeed, crime
- Antonyms: obedience, conformity to law
- Usage in a sentence: Adolescence is a period marked by fascination with the transgression of rules.
5. Word: Sovereignty (सत्ता)
- Pronunciation: sov-rin-tee/साव्रिन्टी
- Part of Speech: Noun
a. supreme power or authority
b. the authority of a state to govern itself or another state
c. a self-governing state.
- Synonyms: freedom, democracy
- Antonyms: retention, belief
- Usage in a Sentence: The people embrace their independence and sovereignty.
6. Word: Elicit (प्रकट करना)
- Pronunciation: ih-lis-it/इलिसिट
- Part of Speech: Verb
a. to get or produce something, especially information or a reaction
b. to obtain something, esp. information or a reaction
c. to draw or bring out or forth; educe; evoke
- Synonyms: evoke, provoke, arouse, trigger
- Antonyms: repress, cover, hide, conceal
- Usage in a sentence: Have you managed to elicit a response from them yet?
7. Word: Stall (अवरुद्ध)
- Pronunciation: stawl/स्टॉल्
- Part of Speech: Noun, Verb
a. to cause (a motor or the vehicle it powers) to stop, especially by supplying it with a poor fuel mixture or overloading it (Verb)
b. to lose control of or crash (an airplane) from so doing (Verb)
c. to bring to a standstill; check the progress or motion of, especially unintentionally (Verb)
d. to cause to stick fast, as in mire or snow (Verb)
e. a booth or stand in which merchandise is displayed for sale (Verb)
f. a stable or shed for horses or cattle (Noun)
g. a rectangular space marked off or reserved for parking a car (Noun)
- Synonyms: standstill, stopped, dead end, stalemate
- Antonyms: ongoing, afoot
- Usage in a sentence: A car may stall due to the driver braking too
8. Word: Status-quo (यथास्थिति)
- Pronunciation: stey-tuh s kwoh/estatus-quo
- Part of Speech: Noun
- Meaning: the way things are
- Synonyms: State, situation, condition
- Antonyms: Reverse, revolution
- Use in a Sentence: A lack of desire to change the status quo is the reason for the poor voter turnout at last year’s election.
9. Phrase: On the ground (आम लोगों के बीच)
a. among the general public
- Usage in a sentence: Their political ideas have a lot of support on the ground.
10. Word: Formalise (औपचारिक रूप देना)
- Pronunciation: fawr-muh-lahyz/फॉर्मलाइज़
- Part of Speech:
a. to give a definite form or shape to.
b. to state or restate (the rules or implied rules of a grammar or the like) in symbolic form.
- Synonyms: validate, shape up
- Antonyms: invalidate, annul, avoid
- Usage in a sentence: These informal gatherings have become increasingly formalized in the last few years.
Practice here Daily Wordlist Quiz
The Hindu Newspaper Vocabulary Based Exercises: 3rd January 2022 2022
Based on the description of the words, we have some practice questions for you. Answer these questions in the comments section. Our team will review them at the earliest!
Exercise 1. Make your own Sentences.
Here are some of the words from the above article. Try to frame sentences from them in your own words and share them with us in the comments section!
Exercise 2: Match the columns.
Share your answers in the comment section.
More from us:
You can also check the wordlist articles for the previous days from the link below: Daily Hindu Editorial Vocabulary Wordlist: 1st January 2022
That was your Vocabulary dose for the day.
from BYJU'S Exam Prep