What is DILR section in CAT?
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning, abbreviated as DILR in CAT, is designed to test the candidates' capability of solving logic-based questions and interpreting data sets. The CAT DILR section is expected to be tough among all three sections. We can say that the CAT Exam tests candidates for their ability to answer the questions with speed and accuracy correctly. So, the candidates must follow the expert’s recommended CAT DILR Preparation plan to prepare this section.
As per the previous year's CAT Exam Analysis, the candidates can expect 20 questions from this section. The difficulty level of this exam is moderate to difficult
CAT DILR Preparation: Topics to be Covered
There is no official CAT Syllabus declared by the CAT authorities for the exam. However, seeing the previous years' trend, we have listed below some topics that you must prepare well to crack the DILR section of CAT.
Tables, Line Chart, Venn Diagram, Scatter Plot, Rader Chart, Column Graph, Data Caselets - Reasoning Based DI, Routes and Network Radar Chart, Bar Graph, Bubble Chart
Team Formation, Order and Ranking, Games and Tournaments, Binary Logic, Arrangements
☛ See Also: CAT Quantitative Aptitude
Best Books for DILR CAT Preparation
There is an uncountable number of books available in the market (online and offline) for CAT Preparation. However, only a few of them are good and written by famous authors. For your reference, we have listed below the CAT books for reference which will help you with DILR CAT Preparation:
- How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT by Nishit K. Sinha
How to do CAT DILR Preparation?
The questions from the DI section focus on a student's ability to derive conclusions from a given set of data. While the questions from the LR section focus on the candidate's logical thinking and its application to everyday problems. To get a better grip on this section, you must follow the tips below for CAT DILR Preparation.
- Mental calculation is very important in this section. So candidates should focus on increasing calculation speed while doing CAT DILR Preparation. Tables of at least up to 20 and basic calculations will give the confidence to solve the questions from this section.
- Candidates should start solving puzzles, logical reasoning questions, or Sudoku from mock question papers, study materials, and online websites.
- By solving questions from rankings, arrangements, and matrices, students should increase their difficulty level during CAT DILR Preparation.
- It is important to practice CAT Mock Tests to improve accuracy and time management.
- In the CAT DILR section, do not rush and try to solve all the questions. Candidates should try to attempt the maximum number of questions accurately.
- In the last week before the exam, the candidates should avoid learning any new topic.
DILR Preparation for CAT: Work on Accuracy
To improve accuracy while doing CAT DILR Preparation, you must follow the tips given below:
- You must practice lots and lots of questions so that you get habituated with them and find out a shorter way to solve questions.
- Time management is another such factor you need to keep in mind. Choosing the questions wisely will help you improve your score in the DILR section of the CAT exam.
☛ Related Links:
CAT DILR Preparation: Question Types
There are two types of questions in the DILR section of the CAT:
- MCQs (Multiple-Choice Questions)
- Non-MCQs / TITA (Type-In The Answer)
In the MCQ-type questions, for every question, there are 4 options to choose from. If answered correctly, it will fetch you +3 marks to your score. But if answered incorrectly, it will deduct your score by 1 mark.
In the Non-MCQ or TITA type questions, there may or may not be options available for you to answer, and you have to type your answer in the blank space given after the question. If answered correctly, it will fetch you +3 marks to your score. But if answered incorrectly, no marks will be deducted.
CAT DILR Preparation: Attempt Mock Tests
Attempting mocks could be the best practice for CAT DILT Preparation. CAT Mock tests give you real clarity about the level of difficulty that you can see for the questions asked in the DILR section of CAT. Thus, you must attempt as many mocks as possible to increase your speed and accuracy for the CAT exam.
☛ See Also: How To Prepare Data Interpretation for CAT
DILR Preparation for CAT: Online Coaching
DILR only seems to be easy but is rather a tough section of the CAT exam. It requires candidates to do CAT DILR Preparation well since there is no defined syllabus for DILR (or any other section of CAT). To be fully prepared for this section, one needs to study from the best sources.
BYJU's Exam Prep offers you the best in class study notes (DILR Notes), more than thousands of live video sessions from expert faculty, 60+ mock tests, unlimited daily quizzes, and much more to get you all set for the BIG DAY.
Commentswrite a comment