The Common Admission Test (CAT) 2022 is expected to be held on 27th November 2022. CAT Exam is a national-level MBA entrance test that is taken by more than 2 lac candidates every year but only a few of them get a chance to pursue MBA from their dream B-school. The Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning section hold a great weightage in the CAT exam.
What is the DILR section in CAT?
DILR section is designed to test the candidates of their capability of solving logic-based questions and interpreting sets of data. The DILR CAT 2022 section is expected to be a tough section amongst all the three sections. Thus we can say that the CAT exam tests candidates for their ability to answer correctly to the questions with speed and accuracy.
The section tests candidates ability to solve data-based and logic-based questions. CAT 2022 is expected to have 20 questions from the DILR section as in CAT 2021.
How to Prepare for CAT DILR?
The questions from the DI section focuses on a student's ability to derive conclusions from a given set of data. While the questions from the LR section focus on the candidate's logical thinking and its application to everyday problems. To have a better grip in the DILR section, you must follow the tips given below for the DILR section of CAT 2022:
- Mental calculation is very important in this section so candidates should focus on increasing calculation speed. Tables at least up to 20 and basic calculations will give the confidence to solve the questions from this section.
- Candidates should start solving puzzles, logical reasoning questions, or Sudoku from mock question papers, study materials, and online websites.
- By solving questions from rankings, arrangements, and matrices, students should increase their difficulty level.
- It is important to practice mock tests to improve accuracy and time management.
- In the DILR section do not rush and try to solve all the questions. Candidates should try to attempt maximum number of questions accurately.
- In the last week before the exam, the candidates should avoid learning any new topic.
How to Improve Accuracy in DILR CAT 2022?
To improve accuracy in the DILR section of CAT, you must follow the tips given below:
- You must practice lots and lots of questions so that you get habituated with them and find out a shorter way to solve questions.
- Time management is another such factor you need to keep in mind. Choosing the questions wisely will help you improve your score in the DILR section of the CAT exam.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning Syllabus for CAT Exams
There is no official syllabus declared by the CAT authorities for the CAT exam. However, seeing the previous years' trend, we have listed below some topics that you must prepare well to crack the DILR section of CAT. Check the complete CAT 2022 syllabus for your reference.
Routes and Network Radar Chart
Data Caselets - Reasoning Based DI
Order and Ranking
Games and Tournaments
Also, check CAT Quantitative Aptitude (QA) Preparation 2022
Best Books for DILR CAT Preparation
There is an uncountable number of books available in the market (online and offline) for CAT exam preparation. However, only a few of them are good and written by famous authors. For your reference, we have listed below the CAT books for reference which will help you to prepare well for the DILR section of CAT:
- How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT by Arun Sharma
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT by Nishit K. Sinha
For more details on which books to refer for DILR, visit Best Books for Preparing DILR for CAT 2022
DILR Weightage in CAT 2022
Given below is the CAT 2021 exam pattern for reference so that the candidates get an idea about the sectional weightage of DILR and also the total marks:
Expected No. of Questions
Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC)
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR)
Quantitative Ability (QA)
Types of DILR CAT Questions
There are two types of questions in the DILR section of the CAT:
- MCQs (Multiple-Choice Questions)
- Non-MCQs / TITA (Type-In The Answer)
In the MCQ-type questions, for every question, there are 4 options to choose from. If answered correctly it will fetch you +3 marks to your score. But if answered incorrectly, it will deduct your score by 1 mark.
In the Non-MCQ or TITA type questions, there may or may not be options available for you to answer and you have to type your answer in the blank space given after the question. If answered correctly it will fetch you +3 marks to your score. But if answered incorrectly, no marks will be deducted.
CAT Preparation Plan for DILR
There is no substitution for practice. The more you practice, the better grip you will have on questions from this section. The DILR section requires you to build a logical mindset and demands to interpret data well. Given below are some tips that will help you prepare well for DILR:
- Practice questions from various sources.
- Solve mock papers as much as you can.
- Time yourself to solve questions from DILR. This will help you to increase the speed of solving questions.
- Start thinking logically.
- Develop the habit of reading as you will have to read the data sets quickly and draw inferences from them.
- By practicing more, you will increase your speed of reading, understand, and then solve the questions from DILR.
- Remain focused while reading.
DILR CAT Mock Practice
Attempting mocks could the best practice to ace the DILR section of the CAT exam. CAT Mock tests give you real clarity about the level of difficulty that you can see for the questions asked in the DILR section of CAT. Thus, you must attempt as many mocks as possible to increase your speed and accuracy for CAT 2022 exam.
DILR CAT Coaching 2022
DILR only seems to be easy but is rather a tough section of the CAT exam. It requires candidates to be very well prepared since there is no defined syllabus for DILR (or any other section of CAT). For one to be fully prepared for this section, needs to study from the best sources.
BYJU's Exam Prep offers you the best in class study notes (DILR Notes), more than thousands of live video sessions from expert faculty, 60+ mock tests, unlimited daily quizzes, and much more to get you all set for the BIG DAY.
The most comprehensive exam prep app.
If you are aiming to crack CAT, join BYJU'S Exam Prep Online Classroom Program where you get :
- Live Courses by Top Faculty
- Daily Study Plan
- Comprehensive Study Material
- Latest Pattern Test Series
- Complete Doubt Resolution
- Regular Assessments with Report Card