Biotechnology and Its Applications
Types of Biotechnology
- Applied to agricultural processes.
- Three main areas of application are Plant tissue culture; Plant genetic engineering and plant molecular marker-assisted breeding.
- Biotech is used to make plants pest and drought tolerant.
- BT Cotton is an example of bollworm tolerant plant. It is also a transgenic plant.
- Concerned with medical sciences, development of innovative drugs and treatment.
- Application: Productions of vaccines and antibiotics, regenerative therapies, gene therapy, stem cell therapy etc. are few applications of Red biotech.
- Use of sea resources marine and freshwater organisms to create products and industrial applications.
- Applied to industrial processes.
- Using enzymes as industrial catalysts, usage of moulds, bacteria, yeast etc to produce various goods are few examples of White biotechnology.
- Biotechnology with insects.
- It also refers to the use of biotechnology in food production.
- Application of Biotechnology to environmental applications, maintenance of biodiversity and removal of pollutants.
- Related to the management of Arid Zone and Deserts
- Creation of drought-resistant seeds, natural resources management, the creation of agricultural techniques suited to arid landscape etc. are few examples of Brown biotech.
- Related to law, ethical and philosophical issues around biotechnology
- Related to bioterrorism, biological weapons and biowarfare which use microorganisms and toxins to cause diseases, death and disability.
Application of Biotechnology
- Gene Therapy
- Genetic testing
- Genetically modified crops
- Plant and animal reproduction
- Abiotic Stress Resistance
- Microbial remediation
- Food Processing
- Fermentation process
- Protein engineering
- Human Genome Project
- Three parents baby
- GM Mustard
- Gene Therapy
- Stem Cell Therapy
- National Biotechnology Development Strategy 2015-2020 (NBDS)
- National Biopharma Mission
For Bihar State Exams Notes Click Here
To boost the preparation of all our users, we have come up with some free video (Live Class) series.
Here are the links
More from us