Reading Comprehension is an important topic of the English Section for UGC NET Exams. Reading comprehension is a mere competence to recognize the words of author process & connect with his thoughts. Most aspirants find it utterly tough to tackle the question thinking that it’s not a piece of cake anyone can go for.
Problems faced by the students
Problem 1: Most common complaint of students is, that the students are unable to understand the passage of reading comprehension.
Solution: You need not to understand each and every word of comprehension. At the same time, you find the gist (summary) of it. Both these points may appear contradictory but the crucial thing is, you need to eliminate the words, phrases, sentences from the reading comprehension that is not useful and need to focus on keywords.
Problem 2: Find your strengths, read the passage first and then go the questions and solve them. Some students do not feel comfortable with this method.
Solution: You can use the “Bottom Up” approach. That means read the questions first so that you can have an idea what to look for in the comprehension.
Important: Read the questions first and then read the passage, you will find the answers within it.
English Section Strategy
- Solving English RC has become an inevitable part of almost every competitive Exam.
- The format of the comprehension is quite simple. It contains a passage of approx. 300-500 words.
- It is taken from a ‘published material’ 5 questions are asked on this.
- These questions vary in Quality & range. They test our ability to read a passage, comprehend its meaning, and criticize its strength & weaknesses.
- A Comprehension passage contains multiple paragraphs, each containing a central idea which is explained with ideas & examples.
- The student should approach the passage with an open mind. There is no place for reader’s own opinion, assumptions or prejudice.
If you have to get through the Reading Comprehension section without breaking the ice, then adopt these measures.
- To grasp any passage you need to be a deep thinker you should know how to connect with words of the author.
- To enhance it, read editorial of the renowned newspaper daily which touches all aspects as the economy, sports, politics, terrorism, entertainment etc.
- Just don’t read the passage try to visualize it like a story and get the grip of the actual message of the passage and infer.
- A good rule of thumb is to practise quizzes at least a month prior to UGC NET exam, as it is a scoring section.
Tips to Remember
- Read and visualize.
- Recognize the keywords.
- Time management is an important aspect.
- Ignore the useless words.
- Don’t panic and lose confidence.
- Gist only the message
- Connect with the tone of the author.
- Make a habit of finding keywords quickly & underline those words.
Hope this important tips will help you out to crack the English section in the best possible way.
Download UGC NET Previous Year Paper with solutions
- Attempt the quizzes
- UGC NET Important Books
- How to Prepare UGC NET Exam in 1 Month
- UGC NET Previous Year Cutoffs
- UGC NET Selection Process
- UGC Exam Pattern
All the Best
Team BYJU'S Exam Prep
Commentswrite a comment