Your blood is precious: Donate, save a life & make it Divine.
World Blood Donor Day (WBDD) is observed every year on June 14 to raise awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products and to thank voluntary, unpaid blood donors for their life-saving gifts of blood. World Blood Donor Day is one of 11 official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Blood is a necessary resource for the planned treatments and urgent interventions.
- It is helpful for patients who are suffering from life-threatening conditions for living longer and with a higher quality of life.
- It supports complex medical and surgical procedures.
History of World Blood Donor Day
- World Blood Donor Day was first initiated and established in 2004 by World Health Organization (WHO).
- 60 countries have their national blood supplies based on 99-100% voluntary unpaid blood donations with 73 countries still largely dependent on family and paid donors in 2014.
- June 14 was chosen as Blood Donor Day to commemorate the birth anniversary of Karl Landsteiner (June 14, 1868). Karl Landsteiner was awarded Nobel Prize for his discovery of the ABO blood group system.
- The first Blood Donor Day was a joint initiative of WHO, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies to raise awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products, and to thank blood donors for their voluntary, life-saving gifts of blood.
- Later in 2005, at the 58th World Health Assembly, WHO with its 192 member states observed Blood Donor Day and since than it is celebrated every year with a specific slogan.
Slogan for World Blood Donor Day 2021
Slogan for World Blood Donor Day 2021 is “Give blood and keep the world beating”.
This year’s highlights the essential contribution blood donors make to keeping the world pulsating by saving lives and improving others’ health.
It reinforces the global call for more people all over the world to donate blood regularly and contribute to better health.
Celebrating World Blood Donor Day 2021
- World Blood Donor Day 2021 is being hosted by Italy through its National Blood Centre.
- The global event for Blood Donor Day is being held in Rome on 14 June 2021.
- Four blood donor associations Associazione Volontari Italiani del Sangue (AVIS), Red Cross, Italian Federation of Blood Donors' Associations (FIDAS) and FRATRES are entrusted with observing the global event of World Blood Donor Day 2021.
- The event will bring together the policy and/or decision-makers of the Italian Ministry of Health and Blood System and their counterparts of other nations, as well as blood system volunteers, citizens, scientific societies, patient associations and national and international agencies and institutions.
Official Global Public Health Day
Here is the list of WHO's official Global Public Health Day:
- World Blood Donor Day
- World Health Day
- World Chagas Disease Day
- World Tuberculosis Day
- World Immunization Week
- World Patient Safety Day
- World Malaria Day
- World No Tobacco Day
- World Hepatitis Day
- World Antimicrobial Awareness Week
- World AIDS Day.
More than 50 different types of Banking and Insurance exam notifications in a year. It becomes nearly impossible for you to purchase different mock tests for so many exams. We have come up with a one-stop solution for all your problems regarding attempting mock tests, i.e. BYJU'S Exam Prep Test Series. Get unlimited access to 420+ mock tests. Attempt Free mock test now:
So why wait? Subscribe to Online Classroom Program now and #GetSuperReady for your exam.
Sahi Prep Hai Toh Life Set Hai