Unified District Information System for Education Plus (UDISE+) Report 2020-21
- Unified District Information System for Education Plus (UDISE+) 2020-21, a detailed report on India's school education, released by the Ministry of Education.
- The Department of School Education & Literacy developed the UDISE+ system of online data collection from schools in 2018-19.
- The aim of this to address issues with the previous practice of manual data filling in paper format and subsequent feeding on the computer at the block or district level in the UDISE data collection system since 2012-13.
Key Points of Report
Students and Teachers in Schools
- In 2020-21, there were 25.38 crore students enrolled in primary, intermediate, and post-level education.
- In comparison to the 25.10 crore enrolment in 2019-20, there has been an increase of 28.32 lakh enrolments.
- In comparison to 2019-20, the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER), which measures overall involvement, improved in 2020-21 at all levels of schooling.
- In comparison to 2019-20, the GER in 2020-21 are: 92.2% from 89.7% in upper primary, 99.1 % from 97.8% in elementary, 79.8% from 77.9% in secondary and 53.8% from 51.4% in higher secondary respectively.
- In the school year 2020-21, 96.96 lakh teachers will be employed. When compared to the number of teachers employed in school education in 2019-20, this is an increase of about 8800.
- The Pupil Teacher Ratio (PTR) in 2020-21 was 26 in primary, 19 in upper primary, 18 in secondary, and 26 in higher secondary, an increase from 2018-19.
- During the 2018-19 school year, the PTR for elementary, upper primary, secondary, and higher secondary was 28, 20, 21, and 30, respectively.
- Over 12.2 crore girls will be enrolled in primary to secondary school in 2020-21, up 11.8 lakh from 2019-20.
- The number of non-teaching employees has also increased. In 2020-21, there would be 15.8 lakh non-teaching staff, up from 12.37 lakh in 2018-19.
- From 2018-19 to 2020-21, the number of accountants, library assistants, laboratory assistants, head clerks, and LDC/UDC staffs increased by 2.05 lakh, from 5.79 lakh to 7.8 lakh.
- With a net addition of 57,799 schools acquiring power in 2020-21, schools with functional electricity made substantial progress.
- Now, 84 percent of all schools have working electricity, up from 73.85 percent in 2018-19, indicating a significant improvement of 10.15 percent during the period.
- From 93.7 percent in 2019-20 to 95.2 percent in 2020-21, the percentage of schools with functioning drinking water has increased.
- By extending the facility to an additional 11,933 schools over the year, the percentage of schools with a functional girl's toilet facility grew to 93.91 percent in 2020-21, up from 93.2 percent in 2019-20.
- The percentage of schools with handwashing facilities increased during 2020-21, rising to 91.9 percent from 90.2 percent in 2019-20.
- From 5.5 lakh in 2019-20 to 6 lakh in 2020-21, a 3 percent rise in the number of schools with functional computers. Currently, 40 percent of schools have working computers.
- The number of schools with internet access increased by 2.6 percent to 3.7 lakh in 2020-21 from 3.36 lakh in 2019-20.