- Education is the asset of a person, it builds character, enhances personality, makes the person rational, intelligent and responsive.
- The twenty-first century is described by Industrialization, globalization, urbanization has led to the emergence of multiculturalism. It is described as a century of stress and strain.
- Education prepares youngsters to understand and face the realities of education.
- It is viewed as an instrument of tolerance, developing cognitive qualities and understanding of people.
- In this context, the schools and the teachers have more responsibilities in moulding the character of the students. Thus, the role of the teacher in society is vital for its improvement.
- Studies have shown that among all the players affecting students like parents, community, peers and teachers, it is the teacher that plays a key role in student achievement.
- The quality of education depends on the quality of teachers, particularly in the initial stages of education when the pupils are at an early age, and especially in the rural areas.
Dimensions of Teachers' Work
- Facilitating learning to students.
- Evaluating the learning outcomes of students. Assessing them reporting the drawbacks.
- Engaging the students in Professional Learning
- Participating in making the curriculum and other programs.
- Initiatives in an Outcomes-focused Environment
- Forming Partnerships within the School Community
Characteristics of the Profession
- To equip with intellectual tendencies.
- To acquire opportunities for development for various kinds of skills and abilities.
- To generate the desire for service of society than for personal gain.
- To generate its own standards.
- To provide opportunities for regular and systematic promotion during the period of service.
- To possess a strong professional organization behind it.
- To acquire training for continuous improvement.
Effective teachers throughout their entire teaching career demonstrate the following professional attributes.
- Teachers demonstrate good interpersonal skills by creating opportunities to communicate and share ideas, knowledge and experience with others.
- Teacher seeks assistance from colleagues and when offered any advice they are keen to act on it.
- Teachers encourage parents and students in the learning process.
- Teachers are active and dedicated to educating young people and they act in the best interests of students.
- Teachers inspire students by enjoying the challenges thrown at them.
- Teachers are devoted to the personal, educational, social, cultural and moral development of their students and aim to teach them how to be life-long learners and active members of society.
- Teachers have a presence that creates a positive influence on students‟ behaviour.
- They can articulate their ideas and thoughts whilst modifying their language according to the audience and context.
- Teachers respect the rights of others by acting with impartiality and consistency.
- They have an understanding of the principles of social justice, demonstrate this by making just, and fair decisions.
- Teachers are creative problem solvers who are willing to take risks in order to find new and enterprising solutions to educational issues and are inventive when developing educational programs.
- They provide learning experiences that engage student interest and enhance student learning.
- Teachers treat students with care and sensitivity by identifying and addressing their educational, physical, emotional, social and cultural needs.
- They are astute in recognising and responding to barriers that inhibit student outcomes.
- Teachers are constructive and supportive in their interaction with others.
- They show flexibility in an ever-changing work environment and are willing to consider critically and implement change.
- Teachers are advocates of their profession.
We hope you all understood the Study Notes on Teaching Aptitude for Paper-1 for UGC NET Exam 2021.
Thank you, Team gradeup.