Teaching models are important in behaviour modification. They help the individual to learn good habits, imbibe desirable attitudes, interest and other personality characteristics. A teacher, a leader or a screen hero may work as a model for a child and he may pick up the behavioural traits of the personality of that model.
Teaching models help to teach in the following ways:
- By creating a favourable environmental condition for carrying out the teaching.
- Achieving desirable teacher-pupil interaction while teaching.
- It helps in the construction of a curriculum or contents of a course.
- It helps in the selection of instructional tools for teaching the curriculum.
- It guides the teacher to select the best possible teaching techniques.
- It helps the teacher in developing strategies and methods for effective teaching.
- It helps in creating the proper teaching environment
- It helps in making resources of teaching to achieve the desired objective.
Characteristics of Teaching Models
- These are patterns on plans made in advance to for the success of the teaching-learning process.
- They have specific objective and goals and therefore differ from general teaching techniques and strategies.
- It provides clear and specific guidelines or blueprints before achieving a specific objective.
- Through these teaching-learning environment is controlled.
- It helps in making a proper teaching-learning environment
- Steps by step procedure are laid for the attainment of learning outcomes.
- As the engineer is helped in the construction of the building by blueprint, same way models of teaching help in teaching.
- It is crucial in saving the energy, time and efforts of the teacher and the learners by providing the best tools and resources.
- Models of teaching are known to serve three major functions in a given teaching-learning situation.
- FOCUS- It is the central and main aspect of the teaching model
- SYNTAX- This term refers to the description of the model in the action.
- PRINCIPLES OF REACTION- Response of Teacher should be appropriate and selective.
- SOCIAL SYSTEM- Teacher has to deploy the different model in different circumstances.
- APPLICATION- Use of different models is different in different circumstances. Therefore, their application also differs. Some are meant for a short lesson, some for the large, some for the both.
Types of Teaching Models
1. INFORMATION PROCESSING MODELS
- It refers to the way learners process the information they receive from their surroundings.
- Some models of Teaching encourage creative thinking, hypothesis testing or concept formation or sense problems or employ verbal and non-verbal symbols.
2. SOCIAL INTERACTION MODELS
- It focuses on the importance of social relations and interactions.
- Social interaction act as a mode of learning.
- This is a student-centred approach.
3. PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT MODELS
- It enhances self-esteem, self-efficacy, and understanding.
- Every learner is unique. This model takes that into account.
- It helps to stimulate creativity, self-expression and confidence.
4. BEHAVIOUR MODIFICATION MODELS
- To make students better citizens, it alters the behaviour of students.
- This model is based on achieving predetermined and observable goals and objectives.
- Strategies used in this are sensitization, instruction, teaching, training, etc.
We hope you all understood the Models of Teaching for Paper-1 for UGC NET Exam 2020.
Thank you, Team gradeup.