- It is a piece of hardware used to provide data to a computer used for interaction and control.
- It allows input of raw data to the computer for processing.
- List of some input devices:
- Keyboard- one of the primary input devices used to input data and commands. It has function keys, control keys, arrow keys, keypad and the keyboard itself with the letters, numbers and commands.
- Mouse – an input device used to control the cursor and coordinates. It can be wired or wireless.
- Microphone – an input device that allows users to input audio into their computers.
- Digital Camera – is an input device that takes pictures digitally.
- Scanner – is an input device that reads an image and converts it into a digital file.
- Barcode Reader – also known as a barcode scanner or point of sale (POS) scanner, is an input device capable of reading barcodes.
- Biometric devices – is an input device used to input biometric data into a computer. Here are the types of biometric devices: Face scanner, Hand scanner, Finger scanner, Voice scanner.
- Stylus – is a pen-shaped input device used to write or draw on the screen of a graphic tablet or device.
Instant messaging (IM)
- Instant messaging (IM) technology is a type of online chat that offers real-time text transmission over the Internet.
- Instant messaging (IM), a form of text-based communication in which two persons participate in a single conversation over their computers or mobile devices within an Internet-based chatroom.
- IM differs from “Chat,” in which the user participates in a more public real-time conversation within a chatroom where everyone on the channel sees everything being said by all other users.
- It is the interconnections that allow a device, a program, or a person to interact.
- Hardware interfaces are the cables that connect the device to its power source and to other devices.
- Software interfaces allow the program to communicate with other programs (such as the operating system), and user interfaces allow the user to communicate with the program (e.g., via mouse, menu commands, icons, voice commands, etc.).
- An international conglomeration of interconnected computer networks.
- It started in the late 1960s, it was developed in the 1970s to allow government and university researchers to share information.
- The Internet is not controlled by any single group or organization.
- Its original focus was on research and communications, but it continues to expand, offering a wide array of resources for business and home users.
IP (Internet Protocol) address
- An Internet Protocol address is a unique set of numbers used to locate another computer on a network.
- The format of an IP address is a 32-bit string of four numbers separated by periods.
- Each number can be from 0 to 255 (i.e., 184.108.40.206).
- Within a closed network, IP addresses may be assigned at random, however, IP addresses of web servers must be registered to avoid duplicates.
- An object-oriented programming language designed specifically for programs (particularly multimedia) to be used over the Internet.
- Java allows programmers to create small programs or applications (applets) to enhance Web sites.
We hope you all understood the Important Terms related to ICT for Paper-1 for UGC NET Exam 2021.
Team BYJU'S Exam Prep