- Evaluation is a systematic process which helps teachers to understand the needs, interest, and potential of students.
- It helps in determining whether teaching has facilitated learning.
- It is a process of collecting, examining, and interpreting data on knowledge, skills and belief, and attitude of students for assessing the magnitude of learning.
Characteristics of Evaluation
- It helps in identifying the weak areas of students.
- Teacher change his/her method according to the need of student after evaluation.
- It is carried out in a planned and systematic way throughout the academic period.
- It is continuous process where the evaluation of students take place continuously.
- It is comprehensive and holistic process where all-round personality of student is evaluated.
- Diverse evaluating methods are used for testing the students.
- Personal bias of teacher should not be there in evaluating a student. It should be as objective as possible.
Function of Evaluation
- It make students work hard.
- It helps in revision of curriculum in a short period of time.
- Students growth take place after identify weak areas.
- Teachers give feedback to students to improve their weak areas.
- Parents are given the progress report.
- Certification and awards are presented on the basis of evaluation.
- Job placement takes place on the basis of evaluation.
Techniques of Evaluation
1. Quantitative technique
- In this examination based on pen and paper take place.
- Written examination is supplemented with oral examination to test communication skills, reading abilities, and pronunciation.
- To test experimental learning practical examination is held.
2. Qualitative technique
- Students are observed and interviewed to identify their behaviour and recording it.
- To identify problem of students checklist technique is used. It is an instrument that is used for collecting and recording evidence regarding significant behaviour of students.
Types of Evaluation
1. Placement Evaluation
- Entrance Examination is conducted to identify if the student is suitable for the course.
- This process is used to check the aptitude of candidate before the beginning of course.
- It checks the prerequisite knowledge of candidate.
- This technique of evaluation is conducted before the beginning of course.
2. Formative Evaluation
- This form of evaluation takes place while the programme is running.
- This can be in the form of class test,quiz, pre-board exams, chapter-test, monthly-test, etc.
- This form of evaluation provides teachers feedback regarding the effectiveness of teaching.
- It reinforces learning among students. This is also called internal evaluation.
3. Diagnostic Evaluation
- Formative evaluation identifies the problem, whereas diagnostic identifies the causes of such problems.
- It is much more comprehensive then formative evaluation.
- This form of evaluation takes place during the course.
4. Summative evaluation
- This form of evaluation takes place at the end of course.
- this evaluation judges the effectiveness of programme at the end of course.
- This is graded in the form of final exams, board exams, etc.
- Degree or certification is awarded at the end of summative evaluation.
- Teachers task of teaching gets complete with summative evaluation.
Choice-based credit system
- UGC has initiated several measures to bring equity, efficiency and excellence in this Higher Education System of country.
- CBCS provides choice for students to select from the prescribed course( core, elective or minor or soft skill course).
- Core course- this compulsory for students as a core requirement to complete course.
- Elective Course- it can chosen from a pool of papers. It may be supportive to the discipline of study.
- Foundation course- this course is based upon the content that leads to knowledge enhancement.
- UGC has recommended a 10-point grading system with the following letter grades as given below:
A (very good)
B (Above average)
Advantages Of Choice Based Credit System (CBCS)
- Options are available to students to choose inter/multi-disciplinary courses too.
- Teacher guides students on the basis of IQ level of individual student; a teacher helps students to select courses.
- It promotes group work, research and community involvement.
- It gives prospects to the learner to earn certification through a walk-in/walk-out approach.
- Greater flexibility is provided to students in choice of courses.
- Students can choose courses at basic or advanced level.
- It helps students to acquire job oriented skills.
- Students makes progress at their own speed.
- It helps highly motivated students to gain extra credits
We hope you understood all about Evaluation System in Teaching Aptitude for UGC NET Exam 2022.
Team BYJU'S Exam Prep.