- It is a set of programs, procedure, algorithms, and associated documents that provide instructions for telling a computer what to do when to, and how to do.
- It is a group of instructions for a computer to do a specific task.
- It is the non-physical part of the computer.
- Example- Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, Corel Draw, Adobe Photoshop, etc.
- Softwares can be categorized as System Software and Application Software.
- This provides the basic functions for computer usage and helps to run the computer hardware and system.
- It serves as an interface between a computer user, computer hardware and application software.
- It manages CPU usage, hardware, input and output, and memory, etc.
- It is also called as background software.
Following are the four types of System software
1. Operating System
- An operating system is system software that manages computer hardware, software resources, and provides common services for computer programs.
- It can be 16-bit, 32-bit, and 62-bit.
- It acts as an interface between the user and computer hardware and application software.
- Example- Linux, Windows, Mac OS, etc.
2. Utility Software
- It helps to manage, maintain and control computer resources.
- They are also called as service programs.
- Example- Anti-virus software: it protects the computer from malware attack.
- Desktop Widgets: It provides the latest news, time, calendar, map, calculator, etc.
- Backup software: It includes back-up files, cleaning up hard disk, and shredding files.
3. Device driver
- It is medium that interacts with a hardware device.
- It controls the devices attached to the computer.
- Example- Printer, Disk drivers, CD-ROM reader, etc.
4. Language Translators
- It translates a high-level language program into a machine language program.
- It detects and reports the error during translation.
- Examples of language translator- Assembler, compiler, interpreter.
- It helps the user to perform singular or multiple related tasks.
- These are used for a particular application and problem-solving like word processing, creating spreadsheets, editing images and videos, preparing slides, browsing the internet, protecting the system from virus, etc.
- The software can either be proprietary or open.
- Proprietary software is privately owned and controlled. The specification is not divulged to prevent other companies from duplicating it.
- Open software is open for the public to access. Anyone can create add-on products for it because they can understand how it was designed. It is also called freeware software.
- There are two types of application software:
1. Basic application software
- It is for general purpose applications and productivity applications.
- These programs are widely used in every discipline and occupation.
- Example: Word processing, database management, etc.
2. Specialized application software
- It is designed to do specific tasks rather than wide application software.
- Example: Graphic programs, audio and video editors, web authoring, virtual reality programs, etc.
We hope you all understood about Computer Software for UGC NET Exam 2021.
Thank you, Team gradeup.