World Sustainable Development Summit 2021
- Recently, the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has inaugurated the World Sustainable Development Summit-2021 through video conferencing.
- The theme of the World Sustainable Development Summit-2021 of the year 2021 is (Redefining our common future: Safe and secure environment for all).
Major points Prime Minister Narendra Modi's statement at the World Sustainable Development Summit:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his address, the congratulated TERI and said that such global forums are very important for our present and future. He said that two things will define how the development journey of humanity will unfold in the coming times. The first is the health of its people. The second is the health of our earth, both are interlinked.
- The Prime Minister emphasized on climate justice to fight against climate change. Climate justice is inspired by the trusteeship approach, in which development comes in sympathy with the poorest person. Additionally, climate justice also means giving adequate space for developing countries to develop.
- He said that India is on track to achieve its Paris commitments and goals. India is committed to reducing the emission intensity of gross domestic product (GDP) from 33 to 35 per cent from 2005 levels. He also informed that India is making steady progress on its commitment to land degradation neutrality. Renewable energy is also gaining momentum in India. We are well on the way to establishing 450 GW renewable energy generation capacity by 2030.
- The Prime Minister said that sustainable development is incomplete without equitable access. India has also made good progress in this direction. In March 2019, India achieved almost a hundred per cent electrification. 36.7 crore LED bulbs have become a part of people's lives through the UJALA program. It has reduced 80 million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions annually. Jal Jeevan Mission has connected more than 3.40 crore families with tap connection in just 18 months. Through PM Ujjwala scheme, more than 8 crore families below the poverty line have access to clean fuel for cooking. "India’s," he said is working to increase the share of natural gas in energy basket from 6 per cent to 15 per cent.
- India has also paid special attention to animal protection in the direction of sustainable development. He said that in the last five to seven years, the population of lions, tigers, leopards and dolphins of the Ganges River has increased.
- The Prime Minister specifically mentioned disaster management capabilities. He said that for this there is a need to focus on human resource development and technology. As a partner of the Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure, India is working in this direction.
What is the World Sustainable Development Summit?
- It is an annual event of TERI.
- The World Sustainable Development Summit brings together Nobel laureates, politicians, scientists and researchers, media personnel and civil society organizations, etc. on a common platform to discuss issues related to sustainable development.
The Energy and Resources Institute-TERI
- Institute of Energy and Resources (TERI) is a research institute in New Delhi specializing in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development.
- It was established in 1974.
- Earlier it was known as Tata Energy Research Institute. As the scope of its activities grew, it was renamed in 2003 as The Energy and Resources Institute-TERI.
To boost the preparation of all our users, we have come up with some free video (Live Class) series.
Here are the links:
More from us