The IFS Officer's Salary depends on the location where the officer is currently posted. The officers who are posted in foreign countries will get Special Foreign Allowance which is decided by the Purchasing Power in that particular country. This means those who are posted abroad have a different salary structure than IFS officers posted in India. Let’s take a look at the IFS salary based on the grade, and rank below.
IFS Salary Structure
IFS Salary is considered according to the ranks given to the IFA officer. In the table below we have mentioned the list of grading officers along with the ranks and salaries.
IFS Officer Salary Grade
IFS Salary Grade Pay
Junior Time Scale
Senior Time Scale
Junior Administrative Scale
Senior Administrative Scale
High Commissioner / Ambassador
IFS Salary with Special Foreign Allowance
The overall IFS Salary is around 60000 INR per month including all the allowances and perks. But this amount is different if an officer is posted outside the country. The Special Foreign Allowance is given to those who live outside India, and it makes a huge difference in the IFS salary structure.
For example, if an IFS officer is assigned at the Indian Embassy in the USA then he/she would get around 2.40 lakhs monthly. This is due to the fact that the purchasing power in other countries is higher so the IFS officer gets Special Foreign Allowance. The Special Foreign Allowance in IFS Salary in India varies with the place the officer is posted to.
IFS Salary Per Month: Pay Band
The IFS Officer Salary Pay Band depends on the grade. Let’s take a look at what the pay band looks like for different grades.
Senior Scales (divided into 3 major categories)
Senior time Scale
Junior Administrative Grade
Super Time Scale
Above Super Time Scale (Divided into 3 categories)
Super Time Scale
Apex Pay Scale
80,000 INR (Fixed)
90,000 INR (Fixed)
- Junior scale- A newly appointed IFS Officer's Salary would be 15,000-39,000 INR.
- Senior Scales- IFS Salary for senior scales ranges from 15,600 to 67,000 INR
- Super Time Scale- It takes 20 years for the IFS officer to reach this grade, and the salary would be 37,400-67,000 INR
- Above Super Time Scale- the IFS salary for the above super time scale ranges from 37,400-90000
IFS Officer Salary: Perks and Allowances
The 7th pay commission is responsible for reviewing and examining IFS salary. There are many benefits offered to the IFS officers under the 7th pay commission. The IFS Officer's Salary increases when he/she moved to a senior level. Additionally, the IFS officers get allowances and other perks such as
- There is a yearly increment in the IFS Officer Salary
- The IFS officer gets Dearness Allowance and House Rent Allowance.
- Car for commission, household helpers, and security guards are also provided to them.
- IFS officers get medical benefits as well
- They get retirement benefits, pension, and a free phone call facility
- They also get accommodation of 2 BHK flats or 3 BHK at cheap rates.
- IFS officers are also eligible for Gratuity
IFS Officer Job Profile
The IFS officer has to deal with a wide variety of issues in India as well as abroad.
- They are responsible for External Affairs, and all aspects of external relations
- They represent India in its High Commission, Embassies, Consulates, and Permanent Mission to multilateral organizations.
- They discuss problems with the authorities and protect India’s National Interests.
- Their responsibilities also include promoting friendly relations
- IFS officers also deal in facilities for foreigners and Indian Nationals Abroad
IFS Officer Salary and Career Growth
IFS Officer' Salary increases when they get promoted to higher positions. Below we have covered information related to the carrier growth of an IFS officer.
- The IFS officer starts their career as a Third Secretary, and They get promoted to Second Secretary when they get confirmation about their selection.
- With time they get various promotions to the levels of
- First secretary
- High Commissioner
- Permanent Representative
- At the highest level, IFS officers are also appointed as Indian Consulates Abroad.
- There are various posts for IFS officers in India such as Under Secretary, Deputy Secretary, Joint Secretary, Secretary, and Additional Secretary. And above we have mentioned the IFS Officer Salary for these levels.
IAS vs. IFS Officer Salary
The basic salary of an IAS officer is INR 56,100 excluding the allowances. IAS officer gets allowances like House Rent Allowance, Dearness Allowance, Travel Allowance, etc. On the other hand, the IFS salary is around INR 60,000 per month including all the allowances. Further, if the IFS officer gets posted outside India then he/she gets Special Foreign Allowance, and in this case, the IFS Officer's Salary may go up to INR 2.40 lakhs depending on the country.
|Important UPSC Topics|
|UPSC Exam||UPSC Exam Date|
|UPSC Notification||UPSC Eligibility|
|UPSC Online Application||UPSC Exam Pattern|
|IAS Exam||UPSC Previous Year Question Papers|
|UPSC Cut Off||UPSC Preparation Strategy|
|UPSC Books||UPSC Exam Analysis|
|UPSC Admit Card||IAS Salary|