UPSC Geology Books
Paper-1 of the Geology Syllabus for UPSC deals with general geology topics, Structural geology, Paleontology, Indian Srearugraphy, Hydrogeology, and Engineering geology. Paper-2 of the geology syllabus includes Mineralogy, Economic Geology, Mining geology, etc. Below we have listed the Best Geology Optional UPSC Books for both Paper-1 and Paper-2
- Advancing Frontiers in Geology and Geophysics: A Volume in Honour of M.S. Krishnan- A P Subramaniam & S. Balakrishnan
- The Ice Age in the Indian Subcontinent and Associated Human Culture-Terra, H. De. & Paterson, T.T.
- Encyclopaedia of Paleontology- Sharma, Vivek
- Foreland Sedimentation in Himalayan Tectonic Regime: A Relook at the Orogenic Process- V. Raiverman
- Geologic Settings and Petroleum Systems of India’s East Coast Offshore Basins: Concepts and Applications- Ravi, Bastia
- Geological Maps- D.K. Awasthi
- Geology and Evolution of the Indian Plate (from Hadean to Holocene – 4Ga to 4 Ka)- Naqvi, S.M.
- Ananda K. Coomaraswamy Writings on Geology and Mineralogy: Scientific Papers and Comments- Ranganathan, A. & Rao, K. Srinivasa (Eds.)
- Concise Glossary of Geology- Mathur, S.M.
- Deccan Traverses: The Making of Bangalore’s Terrain-Mathur, Anuradha & Cunha, Dilip Da
- Delta Sedimentation: East Coast of India- Singh, I.B. & Swamy, A.S.R.
- Dimensions of Himalayan Geology- Biyani A.K.
- Early Man in Eastern Himalayas: North-East India and Nepal- Sharma, A. K.
- Earthquake Disaster Reduction: Masonry Buildings, Design, and Construction- Arya, Anand S.
- Encyclopaedia of Geo-Informatics: Incorporating GIS and Remote Sensing, 5 Vols.- Trivedi, Priya Ranjan et al.
- Encyclopaedia of Geology-Washali Yadgiri
- Hydrocarbon Potential and Exploration Strategy of Cauvery Basin, India- J.N. Sahu
- Inland Fisheries: Ecology and Management- Welcomme, R. L
- Marine Geology: A Scenario Around Indian Coasts- T.K. Mallik
- Metallogenesis of Manganese Ores of Srikakulam-Visakhapatnam Belt- Siddiquie, F.N.
- Mine Closure- Naresh Chandra Saxena
- Mineral Exploration: Recent Strategies- S. Rajendran et al.
- Poisonous Snakes- F. Wall
- Remote Sensing and GIS for Natural Resource Management-Bir Abhimanyu Kumar
- Remote Sensing in Geomorphology- Ramasamy, S.M.
- Soil Chemistry: Basic Concepts- G. Bujy
- The Evolution and Classification of Soils-Ramanan, E. & Whittles, C.L. (Tr.)
- Glossary of Structural Geology and Tectonics- P.S. Saklani 6. Wild India: The wildlife and landscapes of India- Guy Mountfort & Hashim Tyabji
- Himalaya: Geological Aspect, Vol. 5-P.S. Saklani (Ed.)
- Himalaya: Geological Aspects, Vol. 1 & 2 – P.S. Saklani
- Himalaya: Geological Aspects, Vol. 3- Saklani, P.S. (Ed.)
- Himalaya: Geological Aspects, Vol. 4 / Saklani, P.S. (Ed.)
- History and Culture of the Himalaya, 3 Vols- Gulia, K. S
UPSC Geology Optional Books
Candidates who want to download the complete list of Geology Optional UPSC Books can click on the direct link below. We have prepared this PDF for the convenience of the candidates so that they don’t have to visit the website again and again.
How to Prepare with the Geology Optional UPSC Books
Even if you have the Best Book For Geology UPSC, you still need to adopt the right strategy to cover the book. Without an effective strategy, it won’t be possible to cover these geology books in a limited period of time. That is why we have prepared some effective stratgey recommended by the IAS toppers to cover the UPSC geology books.
- Start with the NCERTs textbooks, and then shift towards standard geology books for UPSC as the optional subject requires reading a few reference books to get insights on topics that you can’t find on NCERTs.
- Keep the UPSC geology syllabus near while preparing so that you only cover the topics covered in the syllabus. There is no need to read the whole geology book.
- Focus on one topic at a time, and choose one book as per your comfort to cover that topic. Choosing too many books for covering only one topic will make you feel overwhelmed and confused.
- At last, don’t forget to make short notes because it will come in pretty handy in the revision period.