Steppe Climate Type: Temperate Continental Climate
Climate (Temperature & Precipitation)
- Climate is continental with extremes of temperature.
- Summers are very warm in North America.
- Winters are very cold in the continental steppes of Eurasia.
- In the Southern hemisphere, the steppe type of climate is never severe because of the moderating effects of oceans.
- The great annual range of temperature.
- There is a tremendous difference between the annual temperature range of the northern and southern hemispheres because of continentality.
- Annual precipitation is light about 20 inches, varies from 10 to 30 inches according to location.
- June and July are the months of heaviest rainfall.
- Occasional depressions of Westerlies bring little precipitation and in the form of snow, in Winters.
- In the Southern hemisphere, annual precipitation is more because of maritime influence.
- They lie in interiors of continents, bordering deserts and away from the Mediterranean region.
- Placed under the Westerly wind belt.
- In the northern hemisphere, grasslands are entirely continental and extensive.
- In Eurasia, they are called Steppes stretched from shores of the Black sea eastwards to foothills of the Altai Mountains.
- Grasslands are known by different names as given below:
Hungary and plains of Manchuria
Argentina and Uruguay
Northern South Africa
Bush-Veld (more tropical)
Southern South Africa
High Veld (more Temperate)
Murray-Darling basin of Australia
Vegetation & Wildlife
- Steppes are practically treeless and grasses are much shorter.
- Long Prairie grass is tall, fresh and nutritious. They are found in regions like Russian Ukraine and some areas of Asiatic Steppes.
- Short Steppe type of grass prevails in continental interiors of Asia.
- Temperate grasslands vary in their appearance with seasons.
- Towards equator, steppe grass becomes shorter and sparser, till it merges into the desert with thorny scrub.
- With an increase in precipitation polewards, it gives rise to wooded steppes.
- Kirghiz, Kazakhs, Kalmuk in Asiatic Steppes, Red Indians in North America.
Most Important Study Notes
|Most Expected Current Affairs Questions for 67th BPSC/CDPO 🤩, Download PDF|
|Bihar State Budget 2021-22 Highlights: Check Important Points of Bihar Budget [Download PDF]|