Fundamental Processes MCQ
Q. 1 In E coli, DNA ligase joins Okazaki fragments in the presence of NAD+. Which of the following factor is released in this thermodynamically uphill reaction?
Q. 2 Which of the following enzyme removes the last ribonucleotide of primer after DNA replication in eukaryotes?
- Flap endonuclease
- DNA helicase
- DNA primase
Q. 3 Displacement replication occurs in
- Mammalian nuclear DNA
- Mammalian mitochondrial DNA
Q. 4 Holliday model represents recombination between two homologous dsDNA molecules. Following are some statements about the Holliday model:
I. This model is equally applicable to two different DNA molecules with a limited region of homology
II. Single-stranded nicks are produced on one of the parental strands of only one ds DNA molecule
III. Nicked strands exchange is based on complementary base pairing.
IV. It is also known as the heteroduplex model of homologous recombination.
Which of the above statement(s) is INCORRECT?
- I and II
- Only II
- III and IV
- Only I
Q. 5 Which of the following enzymes have both nuclease and helicase activities?
- None of the above
Q. 6 Histone acetylases and chromatin remodeling enzymes exist in large multi-subunit complexes. How are they recruited to unmodified chromatin to regulate transcription?
- By interacting with promoter DNA elements
- By interacting with activation domains of gene-specific transcription factors
- By direct interaction with RNA polymerase II
- By direct interaction with TBP
Q. 7 When bacteria are transformed with DNA, the effectiveness with which they take up DNA is quantified as the transformation efficiency. If the operational definition of transformation efficiency is the number of bacterial colonies obtained when bacteria are incubated with 1 microgram of DNA. A new student prepared bacterial cells suitable for transformation.
On testing his preparation, he obtained 8000 colonies when he incubated the cells with 8 picograms of DNA. His transformation efficiency is:
- 1 x 109
- 8 x 106
- 8 x 109
- None of the above
Q. 8 Which of the following agents can inhibits eukaryotic protein synthesis?
- A and B
- C and D
- E and F
- B and D
Q. 9 The λ cohesive ends are called the cos sites and they play distinct roles during the λ infection cycle.
A) They allow the linear DNA molecule that is injected into the cell to be circularized, which is a necessary prerequisite for insertion into the bacterial genome
B) The role of the cos sites is to act as recognition sequences for an endonuclease that cleaves the catenane at the cos sites, producing individual lambda genomes. This endonuclease, which is the product of gene A on the lambda DNA molecule, creates the single stranded sticky ends, and acts in conjunction with other proteins to package each λ genome into a phage head structure.
C) Cos site have origin of replication and promoters for early genes essential for regulation of lytic-lysogenic decision
Which of the following statement is true for λ phage cos sites?
- A and B
- B and C
- A and C
- A, B and C
Q. 10 A gene 'Z' has two promoters. One promoter (PI) is used when the cell is stimulated by a particular steroid hormone, while the second promoter (PII) is used when the steroid hormone is absent. The single mRNA from transcription using PII is much shorter than that of the single mRNA transcript generated when PI is used.
- m-RNA encoded using promoter 1 and promoter 2 both will code different proteins
- Hn-RNA encoded using promoter 1 and promoter 2 will be undergo alternative splicing
- m-RNA encoded using promoter 1 and promoter 2 would vary in stability and translational efficiency
- m-RNA encoded using promoter 1 and promoter 2 will encode protein with marginal differences which will allow them to carry different functions.
|Answer Keys for Fundamental Processes MCQs|
|Question Number||Answer Key|
- Previous Year's Papers for CSIR-NET Exam: Attempt Here
- Study Notes for Part A: General Aptitude - Download PDF Here
- Study Notes for CSIR-NET Chemical Science - Download PDF Here
- Study Notes for CSIR-NET Life Science - Download PDF Here
More from us:
BYJU'S Exam Prep Team
Download the BYJU’S Exam Prep App Now.
The Most Comprehensive Exam Prep App.
App Link: https://bit.ly/3sxBCsm