National & International Appointments
1. SBI Life appointed Amit Jhingran as MD & CEO
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has given its official approval and appointed Amit Jhingran as the managing director & CEO of SBI Life Insurance Company in Aug 2023
- He had a successful career with the State Bank of India spanning over 30 years.
- Currently, he serves as the chief general manager of the Hyderabad Circle.
- He started as a probationary officer in August 1991 and has held various positions in international banking.
2. "Meri Mati Mera Desh" campaign launched to pay tribute to the ‘Veers’
- The nationwide campaign “Meri Mati Mera Desh” Campaign has been launched to pay tribute to the ‘Veers’ who laid down their lives for the country.
- AIM: It will include programs at the village, and block levels , by local urban bodies, as well as state and national level.
- During the campaign of “Meri Mati Mera Desh”, an Amrit Kalash Yatra will also be taken out.
- It will start on 9th August, with scheduled programs until Independence Day 2023.
3. International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples is observed on August 9
- The world observes World Tribal Day or World Indigenous Day on August 9th, dedicated to advocating for and safeguarding the rights of indigenous populations.
- Aim: To offer a prime opportunity to actively work towards safeguarding the fundamental rights of tribal communities worldwide
- Goal: To safeguard the rights of these populations and ensure their voices received global recognition.
- Theme for 2023: “Indigenous Youth as Agents of Change for Self-determination."
Science & Technology
4. INS Chennai engages in joint exercise with Royal Saudi Naval Ship
- INS Chennai Mission Deployed in the Red Sea Undertook Passage Exercise (Passex) with Royal Saudi Naval Ship HMS Al Jubail in Aug 2023.
- The Indian Navy's indigenously designed and constructed guided missile destroyer INS Chennai is Mission Deployed in the Red Sea.
- Aim: To reinforcing mutual trust, cementing operational understanding and enhancing Interoperability between navies, to boost defence co-operation between India and Saudi Arabia, INS Chennai’s visit to Jeddah
5. PM Modi Launched ‘Bhartiya Vastra Evam Shilp Kosh’ E-Portalp
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the e-portal of ‘Bhartiya Vastra evam Shilp Kosh’ – a Repository of Textiles and Crafts developed by the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) in collaboration with the Ministry of Textiles in Delhi (August 2023).
- Aims: To create a comprehensive catalogue of India's diverse clothing on a single platform.
- It has a craft atlas, a cultural artefact display, and a visual museum, among other things.
6. World Trade Organization ranks India 18th in merchandise exports 2022
- According to the World Trade Statistical Review 2023,the annual flagship publication of the World Trade Organization (WTO), India is ranked 18th among the Leading exporters in world merchandise trade (2022).
- On a global scale, India holds the 9th spot in merchandise importing and ranks 7th in merchandise exporting (2022).
- The leading exporters in world merchandise trade for the year 2022 are China, the USA, and Germany, occupying the top three positions.
Banking & Finance
7. Bajaj Finance partnered with ICICI Lombard General Insurance
- ICICI Lombard General Insurance and Bajaj Finance have joined forces to offer car and two-wheeler insurance plans through the Bajaj Finance Insurance Mall platform inn August 2023
- Customers can easily purchase these policies on the platform, enjoying a fully digital and smooth customer experience.
- The ICICI Lombard Car and Two-wheeler Insurance policies offer comprehensive damage coverage, including third-party cover and various add-on benefits to vehicle owners.
8. Savita won the only gold at World Cadet Wrestling Championship 2023
- Indian wrestler Savita, who entered the event as the defending champion, won the only gold medal for India in the women’s 61kg weight division in World aCadet Wrestling Championships 2023 in Turkey
- India bagged a total of 11 medals, including 1 gold, 7 silver and 3 bronze at the World Cadet Wrestling Championship 2023 at Istanbul.
- It was the women’s freestyle where India showed best by finishing third, only behind Japan and USA.
9. Parliament Passes Delhi Services Bill ( GNCTD Amendment Bill)
- The Rajya Sabha passed the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (Amendment) Bill in New Delhi in August 2023.
- Aims: To make a corruption-free administration in Delhi
- The authority consists of the Delhi Chief minister, the Chief Secretary of Delhi, and the Principal Home Secretary of Delhi.
- The Authority will make recommendations to Delhi Lieutenant Governor regarding transfers and postings of officials and disciplinary matters.
Science & Technology
10. Govt to Build Research Parks at 8 IITs, IISc Bangalore
- Government has approved the setting up of research parks at eight Indian Institute of Technology and Indian Institute of Science Bangalore in August 2023.
- Aim: To strengthen the research ecosystem in the country
- Objectives: To enable entrepreneurship and incubation of students and building strong academic linkages for the same, to increase outreach of academic content to industry and enabling industry to add value to academic programme through close collaborations.
11. India to support clean water project at school in Tuvalu with 700,000 USD
- India will contribute 700,000 USD from the India-UN Development Partnership Fund to the Tuvalu project in August 2023
- Aim: To store and supply clean water to students, teachers, and school staff, fostering good hygiene and lowering the incidence of water-borne illnesses.
- In May 2023, PM Narendra Modi announced the “Sagar Amrut Scholarship” scheme for the Pacific Island countries, at the Summit of the Forum for India–Pacific Islands Cooperation.
National & International Appointments
12. Indian Oil chairman Shrikant Madhav Vaidya’s tenure extended by a year
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) approved the proposal of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas for re-employment on a contract basis of Shrikant Madhav Vaidya, Chairman, Indian Oil Corporation Limited for a period of one year
- This is one of the very rare occasions when a director on the board of a PSU has been given an extension of service beyond his retirement age.
- No chairman of a Maharatna PSU has been given an extension beyond 60 years
13. Famous Filmmaker Siddique passed away at the age of 63
- Prominent filmmaker Siddique passed away at the age of 63.
- His journey in the world of Malayalam cinema began with his directorial debut, "Ramji Rao Speaking" along with his friend Lal.
- The duo created some of the Malayalam film industry's biggest comedy blockbusters, including "In Harihar Nagar," "Godfather," "Vietnam Colony," "Ramji Rao Speaking," and "Friends," among others. He also directed films in Tamil, Telugu, and Hindi.