Honours & Awards
1. Novelist Abdulrazak Gurnah wins 2021 Nobel Prize in Literature
- Tanzanian novelist, Abdulrazak Gurnah has been awarded 2021 Nobel Prize in Literature for his uncompromising and compassionate penetration of the effects of colonialism and the fate of the refugees in the gulf between cultures and continents.
- He writes in English.
- Nobel Prize in literature is awarded by Swedish Academy, Stockholm, Sweden.
- Prize money for Nobel Prize in Literature is worth 10 million Swedish crowns ($1.14 million).
National & International Appointments
2. P L Haranadh takes charge as Chairman of Paradip Port Trust
- P L Haranadh (1994 batch Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS) officer) has been appointed as the new Chairman of Paradip Port Trust (PPT).
- He has worked in various capacities, during his 27 years of service, that includes 22 years in Indian Railways and 5 years in the Ministry of Shipping.
- PPT is a natural, deep-water port on the lone East coast of India in Jagatsinghpur district of Odisha
- He succeeded Rinkesh Roy.
3. Indian Air Force Day 2021: 8th October
- Air Force Day in India is observed every year on 8th October to mark the official foundation day of the Indian Air force
- 2021 edition of Air Force Day 2021 marks the 89th anniversary of foundation day of the Indian Air force.
- Indian Air Force was officially established on 8th October 1932 by British Empire as the Royal Indian Air Force.
- Its name was changed to Indian Air Force in 1950.
Banking & Finance
4. BharatPe launches ‘Buy Now, Pay Later’ platform “Postpe”
- BharatPe has launched a new solution to provide credit to customers on the Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL) platform titled as ‘PostPe’.
- Using Postpe platform, customers can avail interest-free credit limit of up to Rs 10 lakh.
- It is not only limited to big-ticket purchases but can also be used for micro-purchases.
- With this, BharatPe aims to facilitate a loan book of $300 million in the first 12 months for its lending partners
- MD & Co-Founder: Ashneer Grover.
Arts & Culture
5. Wada Kolam Rice (Zini Rice) from Maharashtra’s Palghar gets GI Tag
- Rice variety widely grown in Palghar district in Maharashtra, Wada Kolam has received the ‘Geographical Indication’ (GI) tag, which means the product now gets unique identity as well as wider market base.
- Wada Kolam rice is also known as Zini or Jhini rice
- Grain is off white in colour, with small granules and a peculiar aroma after cooking. It can completely absorb daal and is in demand for these qualities.
- Its price is between Rs 60-70 per kg in domestic markets.
Honours & Awards
6. Mukesh Ambani tops Forbes India Rich List 2021
- Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) Chairman Mukesh Ambani has topped Forbes India Rich list for 2021, that ranks India’s 100 richest Indians with net worth of $92.7 billion.
- He has retained his position as the wealthiest Indian for 14th consecutive year on Forbes India list, since 2008
- Second spot has been retained by Adani Group Chairman Gautam Adani with a net worth of $74.8 billion, followed by Shiv Nadar.
- India’s 100 richest are now worth $775 billion.
Banking & Finance
7. Kotak Mahindra Bank get approval for collection of direct, indirect taxes
- Kotak Mahindra Bank has received approval from the Government for collection of direct and indirect taxes, such as income tax, Goods and Services Tax (GST), etc, through its banking network.
- After this, KMBL became the first scheduled private sector bank to receive permission to take part in government-related business
- Now the customers of Kotak bank will be able to pay their direct and indirect taxes straight from the lender’s mobile banking or net banking platforms.
Banking & Finance
8. Govt releases ₹ 40,000 crore to States/ UTs with Legislature
- Ministry of Finance has released an amount of ₹40,000 crores to the States and UTs with Legislature under the back-to-back loan facility to meet the shortfall in GST Compensation.
- With this, total amount released in current financial year as back to back loan in-lieu of GST compensation has reached to 1,15,000 crore
- All eligible States and UTs (with Legislature) have agreed to the arrangements of funding of the compensation shortfall under back-to-back loan facility.
9. Transmission System for Rajasthan Solar Energy zone commissioned
- POWERGRID Khetri Transmission System Ltd. (PKTSL) has commissioned Transmission System associated with Rajasthan Solar Energy Zone (SEZ).
- This is one of the largest Inter State Tariff Based Competitive Bidding (TBCB) projects established in Rajasthan.
- Transmission Project involves new 765 kV Sub-station at Khetri (Rajasthan) and connects the capital of the country at Jhatikara (Delhi) through a 765 kV Double Circuit Transmission line.
10. World Investor Week 2021: 4 to 10 October
- World Investor Week (WIW) is a global initiative promoted by International Organization of Securities Commissions (IOSCO) to raise awareness about the importance of investor education and protection and highlight the various initiatives of securities regulators in these two critical areas.
- 5th annual WIW is being observed between October 04 and October 10, 2021.
- The 2021 WIW campaign will be based on two themes:
- sustainable finance
- frauds and scams prevention
Books & Authors
11. Jaithirth Rao comes out with book ‘Economist Gandhi’
- Indian Entrepreneur and writer Jaithirth Rao has come out with a book Mahatma Gandhi titled as ‘Economist Gandhi: The Roots and the Relevance of the Political Economy of the Mahatma’
- Jaithirth Rao is popularly known as Jerry Rao and is the founder and former CEO of the software company Mphasis
- Book examines Mahatma Gandhi’s economic philosophy and his hidden facet personality- thoughts on economics and capitalism.
- It has been published by the Penguin Random House India.
12. PM Modi dedicates to nation 35 PSA Oxygen Plants setup under PM CARES
- PM Modi has dedicated 35 Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) Oxygen Plants to the nation, established under PM CARES, across 35 States and Union Territories.
- As per the data, 1,224 PSA oxygen plants have been funded under PM-CARES (Prime Minister’s Citizen Assistance and Relief in Emergency Situation) fund across the country till date and of these, more than 1,100 plants have already been commissioned providing an output of over 1,750 MT oxygen per day.
13. World Egg Day 2021: 8th October (Second Friday of October)
- World Egg Day is celebrated every year on the ‘Second Friday of October’ month to raise awareness of the benefits of eggs and their importance in human nutrition.
- 2021 edition of the day is being observed on October 8, 2021.
- The Day was established at IEC Vienna 1996 conference.
- Theme for 2021 World Egg Day: Eggs for all: Nature’s perfect package.
14. Govt deploys 'Made in India' drone first time to transport COVID-19 vaccine
- Mansukh Mandaviya has launched ICMR’s Drone Response and Outreach in North East (i-Drone) to ensure last-mile delivery of vaccines
- This is a delivery model to make sure that life-saving vaccines reach everyone.
- This is for the first time that Made in India drone has been used in South Asia to transport COVID vaccine over an aerial distance of 15 kms in 12 to 15 minutes from Bishnupur district hospital to Loktak lake, Karang island in Manipur.