1. India's first Air Force Heritage Centre inaugurated in Chandigarh
- Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh has inaugurated India's first Indian Air Force Heritage Centre in Chandigarh.
- It will highlight the IAF’s role in various wars.
- It also houses the first IAF-made patent aircraft Air Force ‘Kanpur-1 Vintage Prototype Aircraft’, a single-engine indigenous flying machine designed and built by the late Air Vice Marshal Harjinder Singh in 1958.
- In June 2022, an MoU on the heritage centre was signed between the Chandigarh administration and IAF.
2. Spain's Carlos Alcaraz wins Madrid Open 2023
- Spanish tennis player, Carlos Alcaraz has successfully defended his title at Madrid Open 2023 and won his fourth ATP Tour trophy of the year and his tenth overall.
- In the final, he defeated Jan-Lennard Struff (German) 6-4 3-6 6-3.
- While Aryna Sabalenka from Belarus has clinched the Women's singles title at Madrid Open 2023.
- Other winners:
- Men's doubles: Karen Khachanov / Andrey Rublev
- Women's doubles: Victoria Azarenka / Beatriz Haddad Maia
Science & Technology
3. Rocket Lab launches NASA satellites to study tropical storms and hurricanes
- Rocket Lab has launched NASA's two satellites to study tropical storms and hurricanes.
- The two CubeSats, the founding members of the agency's TROPICS network, launched atop a Rocket Lab Electron rocket, which was lifted off from New Zealand.
- Aim: To improve forecasting and provide new insights into how tropical storms evolve and intensify
- The TROPICS constellation will consist of four CubeSats in low Earth orbit.
4. Union Minister G Kishan Reddy inaugurates PM Jan Aushadhi Kendra
- Union Tourism Minister G Kishan Reddy inaugurated a PM Jan Aushadhi Kendra at Warasiguda in Secunderabad.
- Aim: To provide affordable healthcare and generate self-employment opportunities for youth
- It was launched to make quality generic medicines available to the common man at a low cost.
- PM Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana:
- Launched by: Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers
- Initially launched in 2008
- The scheme was rechristened in 2015
5. World Red Cross Day 2023: May 8
- World Red Cross Day is celebrated on May 8 every year to honor the birth anniversary of Henry Dunant, who founded the Red Cross.
- World Red Cross Day is also known as Red Crescent Day.
- The theme of World Red Cross Day 2023 is ‘Everything we do comes #fromtheheart’.
- This day recognizes the significant contributions of the International Red Cross toward providing humanitarian services to individuals regardless of their race, religion, or political beliefs.
Summits & Conferences
6. Minister Piyush Goyal to attend 6th India- Canada Ministerial Dialogue
- Union Minister of Commerce & Industry, Piyush Goyal, and Mary Ng, Minister of International Trade, Canada have co-chaired the discussions for the sixth India- Canada Ministerial Dialogue on Trade and Investment (MDTI) in Ottawa.
- MDTI is a bilateral mechanism that provides an institutional mechanism to discuss a broad spectrum of trade and investment-related issues and cooperation areas.
- The Ministers have also reviewed India-Canada CEPA negotiations.
7. New Lithium deposits discovered in Rajasthan after J-K
- After Jammu and Kashmir, lithium reserves have been traced in the Degana district of Rajasthan.
- According to officials, the lithium reserves are higher than the ones recently found in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Officials have also informed, that the quantity of lithium here can meet around 80% of India's demand.
- For the first time, lithium reserves were found in Jammu and Kashmir's Reasi in February 2023.
- Lithium is a key component of batteries used in electric vehicles.
8. MoS Nityanand Rai inaugurates Dawki land port in Meghalaya
- Union Minister Nityanand Rai has inaugurated the Dawki Land Port in West Jaintia Hills district, Meghalaya.
- Aim: To promote trade and commerce between India and Bangladesh
- The corresponding Land Port in Bangladesh is Tamabil, located in the Sylhet district.
- The Dawki Land port will facilitate the movement of goods, people, and vehicles across the border.
- It will also facilitate passenger movement across the border.
9. World Thalassaemia Day 2023: 8 May
- World Thalassaemia Day is celebrated every year on May 8 to create awareness about the disorder and explore treatment options.
- 2023 theme: Be aware. Share. Care: Strengthening Education to Bridge the Thalassaemia Care Gap
- This day was created by Panos Englezos (President and Founder of the Thalassemia International Federation) in 1994.
- Thalassemia is a genetic blood disorder that is inherited by children from their parents.
National & International Appointments
10. Joe Biden appoints Indian-American Neera Tanden as Domestic Policy Advisor
- United States President, Joe Biden named Indian-American Neera Tanden as his Domestic Policy Advisor to help him craft and implement his domestic policy agenda.
- She has replaced Susan Rice as Biden's Domestic Policy Advisor.
- She served in both the Obama and Clinton administrations, as well as presidential campaigns and think tanks.
- Tanden previously served as senior advisor for health reform at the Department of Health and Human Services.
Commentswrite a comment