1. India beat Japan to win gold medal and secure Paris 2024 Olympic berth
- The Indian Men’s Hockey Team won over the defending Champions Japan at the 19th Asian Games Hangzhou 2023 to claim the Gold medal.
- With the win, the Indian men’s hockey team also secured a berth at the Paris 2024 Olympics.
- This is India’s fourth Gold medal in Men’s Field Hockey at the Asian Games.
- India had previously won the Gold medal in 1966, 1998, and 2014.
- The Indian women are already out of the race after losing in the semi-finals to hosts China
Honours & Awards
2. Nobel Peace Prize 2023 won by Narges Mohammadi
- Narges Mohammadi, a jailed Iranian women’s rights advocate, has won the 2023 Nobel Peace Prize for her courageous struggle against the oppression of women in Iran and relentless fight for social reform.
- She was awarded the prestigious prize for her efforts “to promote human rights and freedom for all”.
- She is the deputy head of the Defenders of Human Rights Center, a non-governmental organization led by Shirin Ebadi, the 2003 Nobel Peace Prize laureate.
Banking & Finance
3. IndusInd Bank Launches INDIE - A Customer-Centric Digital Banking App
- IndusInd Bank has launched 'INDIE,' a financial app offering personalized financial services, harnessing advanced analytics to offer tailored insights and an array of innovative features.
- Aim: To allow customers to borrow precisely what they need when they need it, paying interest solely on the borrowed amount.
- One of INDIE's features is its flexibility in financial product offerings.
- For instance, users can access an instant credit line of up to Rs. 5 lakh.
Banking & Finance
4. Axis Bank launches its digital bank proposition ‘open by Axis Bank’
- Axis Bank launched ‘open by Axis Bank’, its digital bank proposition in its latest advertising campaign that focuses on the Bank’s digital capabilities.
- The Open 2023 campaign highlights the top 15 features of the Bank’s digital offerings.
- It is a culmination of the Bank’s multiyear effort to launch a digital bank within the bank, which is focused on delivering a personalized, intuitive, and hassle-free digital banking experience.
Banking & Finance
5. YES Bank becomes the first lender to offer ‘ONDC Network Gift Card’
- YES Bank became the first bank in the country to issue an ONDC Network Gift Card
- This marks a shift in the way India shops and aims to revolutionize the shopping experience for Indian consumers
- The ONDC Network Gift Card, issued in partnership with Open Network for Digital Commerce (ONDC) is at the forefront of democratizing digital commerce.
- Unlike traditional gift cards, this concept empowers customers to utilize the gift card for purchasing products from any brand
6. World cotton day is observed on 7th October
- World Cotton Day, observed on October 7 emphasises cotton’s importance in generating jobs and supporting economies, especially in less developed countries.
- Aim: To promote fair trade and help developing nations engage in all aspects of the cotton industry to improve their economies.
- The theme for World Cotton Day 2023, ‘Making cotton fair and sustainable for all, from farm to fashion,’ is championed by the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO).
7. MP CM lays foundation stone for India's largest pumped storage project
- Chief Minister Shri Shivraj Singh Chouhan inaugurated India's largest pumped storage project in Madhya Pradesh.
- The project is being developed by Greenko Group, India's largest energy storage company.
- The project, which is located in the Khemla block, Neemuch district, Madhya Pradesh
- It has a capacity of 1440 MW, with storage for 7.5 hours and is now being expanded to 1920 MW with storage of 6 hours to provide a storage of nearly 11 Giga watt hours (GWh) daily.
8. Jyothi Surekha Vennam for clinching third Gold Medal at Asian Games
- Jyothi Surekha Vennam clinched her third Gold Medal at the Asian Games 2023 in Compound Archery.
- Other winners:
- Ojas Praveen Deotale for striking Gold in the Compound Archery Men's Individual event at the Asian Games.
- Aditi Gopichand Swami brought home the Bronze Medal at the Asian Games in Compound Archery.
- Abhishek Verma won the Silver Medal in the Compound Archery Men's Individual event.
9. EU Approves World’s First Green Bond Standards to Combat Greenwashing
- In a step towards combating greenwashing and aiding investors in making informed choices, European Union legislators have granted approval to pioneering standards governing the issuance of green bonds
- This initiative is designed to champion transparency and credibility within the green bond market, curtailing deceptive claims of environmental sustainability
- Europe, as the global frontrunner in green bond issuance, contributed to over half of the total volume in 2021
10. CM Ashok Gehlot announced Rajasthan to have three new districts
- Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot announced the formation of three new districts in the state -- Malpura, Sujangarh and Kuchman City.
- Rajasthan would now have 53 districts.
- The state government had formed 17 new districts earlier in August 2023.
- The other new districts are Apoongarh, Balotra, Beawar, Deeg, Didwana-Kuchaman, Dudu, Gangapur City, Kekri, Kotputli-Behror, Khairthal-Tijara, Neem ka Thana, Phalodi, Slumber, Sanchore and Shahpura.