1. Bindyarani Devi wins silver at Asian Weightlifting Championships 2023
- Indian weightlifter, Bindyarani Devi has won the silver in the women's 55kg category at the Asian Weightlifting Championships 2023, held in South Korea.
- She had lifted a total weight of 194kg (snatch 83kg and 111kg in clean & jerk) in the non-Olympic 55kg category.
- Chen Guan Ling (China) won the gold medal with a combined lift of 204kg (snatch 90kg + clean & jerk 114kg) and Vo Thi Quynh Nhu (Vietnam) won the bronze with a lift of 192kg.
National & International Appointments
2. Ajay Vij appointed as managing director of Accenture India
- Accenture board has appointed Ajay Vij as the MD of Accenture India, succeeded Rekha M. Menon, who retired after 20 years.
- He will be responsible for expanding his current responsibilities as Corporate Services & Sustainability lead to provide overall leadership and drive coordinated decision-making.
- While Sandeep Dutta will lead the company's Market Unit
- He will serve as the company's India business lead and drive business and operations.
Banking & Finance
3. Max Life, Capital SFB ties up to offer life insurance solutions
- Capital Small Finance Bank Limited has partnered with Max Life Insurance Company Limited to offer life insurance offerings to Capital SFB’s customers.
- Capital SFB would offer its customers a range of savings, protection, retirement, and group life insurance plans of Max Life.
- Capital SFB has also partnered with ICICI Prudential Life Insurance Limited and HDFC life insurance Limited to provide their life insurance products.
- MD & CEO, Capital SFB: Sarvjit Singh Samra
4. Centre for Innovation Incubation Research and Entrepreneurship inaugurated
- The Centre for Innovation Incubation Research and Entrepreneurship was inaugurated at the KITS Warangal campus in Telangana.
- It was inaugurated by Telangana's IT Minister K Taraka Ramarao.
- The govt has promoted innovation and entrepreneurship in the student community to inculcate research and innovative skills among the students, faculty, and young researchers.
- Aim: To face the latest Engineering, technological, and entrepreneurship challenges in the 21st Century.
5. World Athletics Day 2023: 7 May
- World Athletics Day 2023 is observed every year on May 7 to mark the importance of athletes and sportspersons globally.
- The theme for World Athletics Day 2023 is 'Athletics for All – A New Beginning'.
- This day was established by the late Primo Nebiolo, the then-president of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
- The first World Athletics Day was held on May 15, 1996.
- The IAAF was founded in Stockholm, Sweden on July 17, 1912.
Banking & Finance
6. BharatPe rebrands PAYBACK India as ‘Zillion’
- BharatPe Group has rebranded its multi-brand loyalty program, Payback India to Zillion.
- Aim: To target customers across age groups and add a new dimension to their overall shopping experience, across categories and brands
- Zillion will offer a wide range of options for customers to earn and redeem at a wide range of partners across the country.
- The customers will be able to earn ‘Zillion coins’ for their routine spending.
- BharatPe CEO (Interim): Nalin Negi
7. INSV Tarini on her return passage to India
- Indian naval sailing vessel, Tarini will be returned to India after a six-month-long transoceanic intercontinental expedition.
- It commenced from Goa on November 17, 2022, and is scheduled to be completed at the same venue on May 24, 2023.
- During the expedition, Tarini sailed to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil via Cape Town, South Africa, participating in Cape to Rio Race 2023
- Tarini will complete an arduous 17,000 nautical miles passage when she touches the Indian shores again
Summits & Conferences
8. NMCG organizes River-Cities Alliance Global Seminar
- NMCG and the National Institute of Urban Affairs jointly organized the ‘River-Cities Alliance Global Seminar: Partnership for Building International River-Sensitive Cities’ in New Delhi.
- Aim: To provide a platform for officials of member cities and international stakeholders to discuss and learn good practices for managing urban rivers
- This seminar has witnessed the participation from Embassies/High Commissions of selected countries and their respective river cities.
9. Border Roads Organisation Project Dantak 64th Raising Day
- Border Roads Organisation (BRO) celebrated its 64th Raising Day on May 07, 2023, at all its detachments across the country.
- On this occasion, BRO-centric software, developed as part of the ‘Digital India’ initiative, was also launched.
- PM has also praised the initiative by BRO Project Dantak to commemorate the 64th Raising Day.
- About Project DANTAK:
- This project was established on 24th April 1961.
- DANTAK was tasked to construct the pioneering motorable roads.
10. India operationalizes Sittwe port in Myanmar
- India has operationalized the Sittwe Port in Myanmar with the departure of the inaugural shipment, the MV-ITT LION (V-273), from Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port, Kolkata.
- It is a part of the Kaladan Multimodal Transit Transport project.
- IT carried 20,000 bags containing 1,000 metric tonnes of cement and is expected to reach Sittwe Port on 9 May.
- It was built under a grant of assistance from the Indian government.
- Aim: To boost trade and commerce between the two countries
Commentswrite a comment