1. Tamil Nadu's Pranesh M becomes 79th Grandmaster of India
- M Pranesh (16) from Tamil Nadu has secured the title in the 2022/2023 Rilton Cup, the first tournament of the FIDE Circuit, to become the 79th chess Grandmaster of India.
- He has crossed the live rating of 2,500 Elo points.
- He won his first norm at the 18th Delhi GM Open, second norm at the Sunway Sitges International Chess Festival in Spain and third norm at the Asian Continental Chess Championship in Stockholm, Sweden.
- He was trained by renowned coach RB Ramesh.
National & International Appointments
2. Paytm bank receives RBI nod to appoint Surinder Chawla as new CEO
- Paytm Payments Bank has received approval from the Reserve Bank of India for the appointment of Surinder Chawla as its new chief executive.
- He is currently serving as head of branch banking at RBL Bank.
- He had also worked with HDFC Bank as head of retail liabilities product group and senior executive VP.
- Paytm Payments Bank CEO, Satish Kumar Gupta was retired in October 2022.
- Since then, Deependra Singh Rathore has been serving as interim CEO of the payments bank.
Summits & Conferences
3. India to host 'Voice of Global South Summit' virtually
- India will host a special 'Voice of Global South Summit' virtually on 12th and 13th of January 2023.
- Theme of the Summit is Unity of Voice, Unity of Purpose.
- The Summit aimed to bring together countries of the Gobal South and share their perspectives and priorities on a common platform across a whole range of issues.
- This initiative is inspired by PM Modi vision of Sabka Saath, Sabha Vikas, Sabka Vishwas Aur Sabka Prayas and India's principle of Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam.
4. Leh Sub Area and Looms of Ladakh Co-operative Ltd sign MoU
- Leh Sub Area and Looms of Ladakh Co-operative Limited under the aegis of Fire and Fury Corps have signed an MoU at Leh,Ladakh.
- Aim: To impart weaving and tailoring training to Veer Naris, widows and dependent ladies of veterans from Ladakh in three cycles of two months each.
- Looms of Ladakh will also employ them post-completion of their training.
- With this agreement, approximately, 200 Veer Naris, widows and dependent ladies of veterans will be benefitted.
5. Sania Mirza announces her retirement from professional Tennis
- Indian tennis player, Sania Mirza has announced her retirement from professional Tennis.
- She will retire at the WTA 1000 event in Dubai in February 2023.
- She became the first Indian to win a WTA singles title, when she won her hometown Hyderabad event in 2005.
- She broke into the top 30 by 2007 and reached her career-high ranking of world number 27.
- In 2015, she partnered up with Swiss legend Martina Hingis and won three Grand Slam doubles titles.
6. Odisha CM Patnaik inaugurates Birsa Munda Hockey Stadium
- Odisha CM, Naveen Patnaik has inaugurated the Birsa Munda International Hockey Stadium, the largest hockey stadium in the country
- Rourkela is the second venue of the FIH Men's Hockey World Cup 2023 after the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar
- Rourkela will host 20 of the 44 matches while the remaining 24 matches will be played at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar.
- India's first match against Spain is scheduled to be played at the Birsa Munda Hockey Stadium here on January 13.
Banking & Finance
7. Sebi issues debt broker license to Zerodha-backed GoldenPi Technologie
- The SEBI has issued a debt broker license to the GoldenPi Technologies.
- With the development, GoldenPi became the first online bond platform provider to receive a debt brokerage license from Sebi.
- In 2022, SEBI has introduced regulations for online debt trading platforms.
- As per this platform, no company or individual shall act as an online bond platform provider without the certificate of registration as a stock broker under the SEBI Regulations, 2021.
Banking & Finance
8. Axis Bank partners with OPEN to launch a fully digital current account
- Axis Bank has partnered with OPEN to provide a fully native digital current account journey for its customers including SMEs, freelancers, homepreneurs, influencers and more.
- This agreement offers the larger business community access to the holistic banking experience of Axis Bank with OPEN’s end-to-end financial automation tools for business management.
- This is Axis Bank’s first-ever partnership with a fintech player to launch a fully digital current account.
9. Delhi, Bengaluru among 10 best-performing airports globally in 2022: Cirium
- According to aviation analytics firm Cirium, Bengaluru's Kempegowda International Airport and Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport were among the top 10 on-time airports globally.
- Bengaluru's airport was the second best airport globally in 2022 in terms of on-time arrivals and departures.
- While, Japan's Haneda Airport was the best-performing airport.
- Indira Gandhi Airport stood seventh in the on-time rankings globally.
National & International Appointments
10. Gem and Jewellery Domestic Council elects Saiyam Mehra as chairman
- The All India Gem and Jewellery Domestic Council (GJC) has elected Saiyam Mehra as Chairman and Rajesh Rokde as Vice Chairman of the industry body for a period of two years (2023-24).
- GJC represents over 6,00,000 industry players comprising manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers, distributors, laboratories, gemologists, designers and allied services providers.
- Aim: To promote and progress its growth, while protecting the industry’s interests