1. India-Japan Bilateral Maritime Exercise JIMEX-21 commenced
- Fifth edition of India-Japan Maritime Bilateral Exercise ‘JIMEX-21’ is to be held in Arabian Sea from 6th to 8th October 2021.
- Aim: To develop common understanding of operational procedures and enhance inter-operability through conduct of multitude of advanced exercises.
- JIMEX series of exercises were introduced in January 2012 with special focus on maritime security cooperation.
- It involves weapon firings, cross-deck helicopter operations and complex surface, etc.
Honours & Awards
2. Syukuro Manabe, Klaus Hasselmann bags Nobel Physics Prize 2021
- S.-Japanese scientist Syukuro Manabe, Klaus Hasselmann (Germany) and Giorgio Parisi (Italy) has won 2021 Nobel Physics Prize
- Manabe and Hasselmann, shares one half of the 10 million kronor ($1.1 million) prize for their research on climate models, while Parisi won the other half for interplay of disorder and fluctuations in physical systems.
- This is the first-time climate scientists have been awarded Physics Nobel.
- Award is given by Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
3. Mansukh Mandaviya releases State of the World’s Children report of UNICEF
- Mansukh Mandaviya has released UNICEF’s global flagship publication ‘The State of the World’s Children 2021; On My Mind: promoting, protecting and caring for children’s mental health’
- It says only 41% of young people in India were willing to seek support for mental health, compared to an average of 83% among 21 countries surveyed
- The report also found that 14% of 15 to 24 yr-old in India, or 1 in 7, reported often feeling depressed or having little interest in things
Arts & Culture
4. First consignment of GI tagged Mihidana exported to Bahrain
- First consignment of Geographical Indication (GI) tagged sweet dish Mihidana from Bardhaman, West Bengal has been exported to Kingdom of Bahrain.
- It is part of the effort to promote indigenous and GI tagged products of India globally.
- It was exported by APEDA registered M/S DM Enterprises, Kolkata.
- Mihidana sweet dish got GI tag in 2017.
- GI tag is a sign denoting a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin
National & International Organizations
5. India joins Seychelles Tax Inspectors Without Borders (TIWB) programme
- India has been chosen as the Partner Administrator for Tax Inspectors Without Borders (TIWB) programme
- TIWB has launched its programme in Seychelles on 4th October 2021.
- India will be providing its Tax Expert in support of the initiative.
- TIWB: Joint initiative of UN Development Programme (UNDP) and Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), since its launch in 2015.
- This is the 6th TIWB programme in which India has supported by providing Tax Expert
National & International Appointments
6. BC Patnaik sworn in as new Managing Director of LIC
- B C Patnaik has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of insurance giant Life Insurance Corporation (LIC).
- He succeeded Mukesh Kumar Gupta, who completed his tenure on 30th September 2021.
- Prior to this, he served as secretary General at Council for Insurance Ombudsmen(CIO), Mumbai.
- He joined LIC as a direct recruit officer in 1986.
- LIC comprises of chairman and 4 MD. Other MDs: Raj Kumar, Siddhartha Mohanty and Ipe Mini.
Honours & Awards
7. VP Venkaiah Naidu confers Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award
- VP Venkaiah Naidu has conferred Assam Government’s biennial Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi Award for National Integration and National Contribution for 2021
- Three awardees are:
- Members of Assam branch of Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust
- German based Assamese litterateur Dr. Nirod Kumar Barooah
- Sankardeva Kalakshetra
- The Award was instituted by Government of Assam in 1993 in the memory of the first Chief Minister of Assam Bharat Ratna Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi.
8. Commerce Ministry releases Industrial Park Rating System (IPRS) Report 2.0
- Ministry of Commerce has launched 2nd edition of Industrial Park Rating System (IPRS) Report to enhance India’s industrial competitiveness and attract investment.
- IPRS 2.0 is an extension of India Industrial Land Bank featuring more than 4,400 industrial parks in a GIS-enabled database to help investors identify their preferred location for investment
- 41 Industrial Parks have been assessed as Leaders in Industrial Park Ratings System Report released by DPIIT.
9. Magnus Carlsen wins inaugural Meltwater Champions Chess Tour title
- Magnus Carlsen has won inaugural Meltwater Champions Chess Tour (MCCT) to claim the non-fungible token (NFT) trophy, and $1,00,000 in the finals
- It is a 10-month long online chess tournaments, which was held on chess24.com from November 22, 2020 till October 4, 2021.
- MCCT tour comprised of 10 tournaments and are not rated by FIDE
- It was the most viewed online chess event in history of the game.
- Magnus Carlsen is now considered as the undisputed best online chess player
10. Breast Cancer Awareness Month: 1st to 31st October
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month (BCAM) is observed every year from 1st to 31th October
- This annual international health campaign aims to increase awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research into its cause, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure.
- International symbol of breast cancer awareness: Pink ribbon
- Prevent Cancer Foundation’s Breast Health Education for Young Women Facilitator’s Guide is also being designed
11. MoRTH notifies establishment of National Road Safety Board
- Ministry of Road Transport & Highways has notified constitution of National Road Safety Board, along with rules
- Head Office of the Board will be in National Capital Region and Board may establish offices at other places
- It shall consist of Chairman and not less than three, but not exceeding 7 Members, to be appointed by Centre
- It shall be responsible for promoting road safety, innovation and adoption of new technology and for regulating traffic and motor vehicles
Science & Technology
12. Electronic Pension Payment Order gets integrated with Digi Locker
- Ministry of Defence has integrated Electronic Pension Payment Order (EPPO) generated by Principal Controller of Defence Accounts (PCDA) Pension, Allahabad with Digi Locker to enhance ‘Ease of Living’ of Defence Pensioners
- It will enable all Defence Pensioners to obtain instantly a copy of the latest copy of the PPO from Digi Locker
- It will create a permanent record of PPO in Digi Locker and at the same time eliminate delays in reaching the PPO.
13. Dust Control & Management Cells set up in NCR
- Commission for Air Quality Management in National Capital Region and Adjoining Areas (CAQM) is taking steps to tackle dust pollution emanating from roads across National Capital Region (NCR).
- Dust Control & Management Cells is also established.
- 17 Cells have been set up in the state of U.P., 11 in Delhi, 8 in Rajasthan and 2 in Haryana.
- Cell will regularly monitor the compliance of road dust control measures by the authorities concerned and measures undertaken.
Science & Technology
14. Heli-borne survey technology for ground water management launched
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh has launched state-of-the-art Heli-borne survey technology for ground water management, developed by CSIR-NGRI Hyderabad.
- Heli-borne geophysical mapping technique provides a high-resolution 3D image of the sub-surface up to a depth of 500 meters below the ground.
- Arid and semi-arid regions of Rajasthan, Gujarat, Punjab and Haryana states has signed MoU with CSIR-NGRI for ‘High Resolution Aquifer Mapping & Management’ project