1. Neeraj Chopra got first position in 2023 Doha Diamond League
- Olympic champion javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra won the Diamond League season-opener in Doha with an impressive World-leading 88.67m after defeating Grenada’s World champion Anderson Peters (winner of 2022 Doha Diamond League).
- Czech Republic’s Jakub Vadlejch was second in position with 88.63, while Peters was third with 85.88.
- Commonwealth Games triple jump champion, Eldhose Paul had a disappointing Diamond League debut, finishing 10th with a wind-assisted 15.84m.
2. INS Magar decommissioned after 36 years of service
- Indian Naval Ship Magar, Landing Ship Tank (Large) amphibious assault ship of the Indian Navy has been decommissioned after 36 years of exceptional service to the nation.
- The decommissioning ceremony of the ship was held at Southern Naval Command, Kochi.
- It was indigenously built by Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Ltd, Kolkata and was launched on 16th November 1984 and commissioned into the Indian Navy on 18 July 1987 by Admiral R H Tahiliani.
3. MSDE to organize Pradhan Mantri National Apprenticeship Mela on 8th May
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) will organize Pradhan Mantri National Apprenticeship Mela (PMNAM) on 8th May in 200 districts across the country
- PMNAM will witness the participation of many companies representing various sectors, providing relevant apprenticeship training opportunities to local youth
- Through this, participating organizations can connect with potential apprentices, while strengthening the livelihood opportunities of the youth.
National & International Appointments
4. PM Modi to be Guest of Honour at France’s Bastille Day Parade
- Prime Minister Modi will be the guest of honour at France’s traditional military parade, which will be held during Bastille Day on 14th July.
- PM’s visit coincides with the 25th anniversary of the strategic partnership between France and India.
- Bastille Day is named after the fall of a fortress that symbolized the French revolution of 1789.
- PM Modi will be 2nd Indian PM to be the guest of honour after Manmohan Singh in 2009.
Arts & Culture
5. 2,000-year-old 'modern society' unearthed in Bandhavgarh National Park
- Archaeologists have uncovered several archaeological treasures from the Bandhavgarh National Park, Madhya Pradesh including 1,500-year-old rock painting, several man-made water bodies, which are believed to be no lesser than 1,800-2,000 years old.
- Bandhavgarh National Park
- It is located in the Umaria district of Madhya Pradesh.
- It was declared a national park in 1968 and Tiger Reserve in 1993.
- It is known for the Royal Bengal Tigers.
6. Haryana Govt to introduce a new feature on Haryana-eSamiksha portal
- Haryana Govt will be introducing a new feature on the ‘Haryana-eSamiksha portal’ to enable Administrative Secretaries and Head of Departments to monitor the follow-up action taken on decisions made during their meetings and presentations
- It will provide updates on file number, meeting date, chairperson, meeting description, and other documents such as the minutes of meeting (MOM), which can be accessed by officers of the concerned departments.
National & International Organizations
7. WHO declares end to Covid-19 Global Health Emergency
- The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared that Covid-19 is no longer a global public health emergency.
- It represents a major step towards ending the pandemic & comes 3 years after it first declared its highest level of alert over the virus.
- WHO's emergency committee first declared that Covid represented its highest level of alert more than three years ago, on 30th January 2020.
- WHO's headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
8. Centre invokes Article 355 in Manipur for ensuring state security
- The Central Government has recently promulgated Article 355 in Manipur to take charge of the security of the state.
- Article 355 of the Indian Constitution is a part of emergency provisions contained in Part XVIII of the Constitution of India, from Article 352 to 360.
- It encourages the centre to take all necessary steps to protect the state against internal disturbances and external aggression.
- It empowers the Centre to take necessary steps to protect a state.
9. Cyclonic Circulation likely over Southeast Bay of Bengal
- India Meteorological Department (IMD) has indicated a cyclonic circulation to develop over the Southeast Bay of Bengal in a day.
- Under its influence, low pressure will be formed over the same region around May 7 and is likely to concentrate into a depression over the Southeast Bay of Bengal on May 8.
- After that, it is likely to intensify into a cyclonic storm while moving nearly northwards towards the central Bay of Bengal.
National & International Appointments
10. Charles III crowned as the King of UK at historic ceremony in London
- Charles III has taken his oath and been crowned King in a ceremony in London witnessed by over two thousand guests and dignitaries in Westminster Abbey.
- The Archbishop of Canterbury placed the St Edward's Crown on the King's head during a ceremony at Westminster Abbey and after the King was crowned, his wife Camilla was crowned as the Queen.
- King had taken the solemn oath to govern the United Kingdom people with justice and mercy.
Commentswrite a comment