1. Karnataka beats Meghalaya to clinch Santosh Trophy football after 54 years
- Karnataka won its 5th Santosh Trophy National Football Championship title after defeating Meghalaya by 3-2 in the final at the King Fahd International Stadium in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Karnataka last won the title 54 years ago.
- Earlier, Services won third place beating Punjab 2-0 in the play-off match held before the final.
- Most successful team: West Bengal (32 titles)
- Santosh Trophy was founded in 1941 and organized by the All India Football Federation (AIFF).
2. UN inks ‘High Seas Treaty’ in a bid to protect ocean bodies of the world
- The United Nations (UN) has inked the first ‘High Seas Treaty’ in a bid to protect the ocean bodies of the world that lie outside the national boundaries and form almost two-thirds of the world's oceans.
- This treaty now brings 30% of the world's oceans into the protected domain, puts more money into marine conservation, and sets new rules for mining at sea.
- The last agreement on ocean protection was signed 40 years ago in 1982 - the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.
3. First edition of Naval Commanders' Conference of 2023 begins
- The first edition of the 2023 Naval Commanders' Conference has been started on March 6, 2023.
- The first phase of the conference is held onboard India's first indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant, in the Arabian Sea off Goa.
- Rajnath Singh addressed the Naval Commanders onboard INS Vikrant.
- This conference serves as a platform for Naval Commanders to discuss important security issues at the military-strategic level and interact with senior government functionaries
Banking & Finance
4. HDFC Bank recommends re-appointment of Sashidhar Jagdishan MD for 3 yrs
- The board of directors of HDFC Bank has recommended the reappointment of Sashidhar Jagdishan as managing director and CEO for three years, with effect from 27 October 2023.
- The Bank also informed that it is subject to the approval of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and the shareholders.
- Sashidhar Jagdishan joined the Bank in 1996 and was appointed as a chief financial officer in 2008, after which he was appointed as the MD and CEO.
National & International Organizations
5. India ranks 108th on Electoral Democracy Index 2023
- According to the V-dem Democracy report 2023, India ranks 108th in the Electoral Democracy Index.
- India's ranking dipped from the 100th position in 2022 to 108th this year in the report's Electoral Democracy Index (EDI) while 97th in the Liberal Democracy Index (LDI).
- Denmark ranked first with the highest comprehensive score of 0.89 in the LDI, followed by Sweden, Norway, Switzerland, and Estonia
- Pakistan slipped two steps lower at 106th in the LDI and 110th in the EDI
Banking & Finance
6. India's per capita income doubled since 2014-15
- According to National Statistical Office (NSO), the estimated annual per capita (net national income) at current prices for 2022-23 is Rs 1,72,000, showing a growth of around 99% from Rs 86,647 in 2014-15.
- However, after adjusting for inflation (constant prices), the per capita income has risen by approximately 35% from Rs 72,805 in 2014-15 to Rs 98,118 in 2022-23.
- The average growth of India’s per-capita income in real terms from 2014 to 2019 was 5.6 percent per annum.
Banking & Finance
7. World Bank to lend $1 billion to support India’s health sector
- The World Bank will lend up to $1 billion to India to strengthen its health infrastructure.
- The lending will be divided into two complementary loans of $500 million each.
- The bank will support India’s flagship Pradhan Mantri-Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission (PM-ABHIM) which was launched in October 2021.
- The loans will prioritize health service delivery in seven States - Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Meghalaya, Odisha, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, and Uttar Pradesh.
8. President Murmu launched ‘Catch the Rain-2023’ campaign
- President Droupadi Murmu has launched the ‘Catch the Rain-2023’ as part of efforts to turn the conservation of water into a mass campaign in the run-up to the monsoon season.
- The theme of the 2023 campaign was ‘Source Sustainability for Drinking Water'.
- The president also conferred 18 awards under Swachh Bharat Mission – Grameen, Jal Jeevan Mission, and National Water Mission.
- She has released a compendium of case stories titled ‘Swachh Sujal Shakti Ki Abhivyakti’.
9. SWAMIH Fund completed 20 557 homes since inception in 2019
- The Special Window for Affordable and Mid-Income Housing (SWAMIH) Investment Fund has completed 20,557 homes worth ₹12,000 crore since its inception in 2019.
- About SWAMIH Investment Fund:
- It was launched in November 2019.
- Aim: To complete stressed and brownfield properties registered under Real Estate Regulatory Authority (RERA).
- SWAMIH investment fund is a government-funded initiative and it is managed by the State Bank Group's SBICAP Ventures Limited.
10. No sale of gold jewellery without HUID from April 1
- The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has prohibited sale of hallmarked gold jewellery or gold artefacts without the six-digit alphanumeric hallmark unique identification number (HUID) after March 31, 2023.
- Aim: To protect consumers and enhance their confidence in the purchase of hallmarked gold jewellery.
- It would ensure traceability and assure quality in gold jewellery.
- The six-digit HUID number was introduced on July 1, 2021.
Commentswrite a comment