Summits & Conferences
1. 43rd ASEAN summit in Jakarta to be held from 5th to 7th September
- The 43rd Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit in Jakarta is being held from 5th to 7th of September.
- Singapore’s Prime Minister’s Office said in a statement today that ASEAN leaders will discuss ways to ensure the bloc’s continued relevance and centrality in the evolving regional architecture.
- Aim: To discuss strengthening ASEAN integration and expanding collaboration in key areas such as the digital and green economies.
Banking & Finance
2. Airtel to acquire 23,000 MWh of energy for Nxtra data centers
- Bharti Airtel has announced its commitment to purchase 23,000 MWh of renewable energy by Q4 FY 23–24 to power its data centre subsidiary, Nxtra.
- Aim: To reduce its carbon footprint and promote sustainability.
- Through an open access route, Airtel will acquire stakes in Continuum Green’s project company, which will supply green power from solar and wind projects to six Nxtra Edge data centres located in Madhya Pradesh.
Banking & Finance
3. Bajaj Auto’s arm gets RBI nod to commence NBFC operation
- Bajaj Auto informed stock exchanges in its filing that its subsidiary Bajaj Auto Consumer Finance has received a Certificate of Registration from the RBI to commence the business of a non-banking finance company.
- Company has also stated that Bajaj Auto Consumer Finance will carry out the business of nonbanking financial institutions without accepting public deposits.
- The two- and three-wheeler maker had made an application on July 9 2023 to the RBI for an NBFC licence.
National & International Appointments
4. Gabon's military leader Brice Oligui Nguema sworn in as interim President
- Brice Oligui Nguema, the leader of Gabon's military junta, has been sworn in as the nation's interim President.
- Gabon is the sixth Francophone country to fall under military rule in the last three years as former colonial power France struggles to maintain its influence on the continent.
- Gabon has been suspended from the African Union following the coup, which has been condemned by the United Nations and France.
Banking & Finance
5. Indian Bank partners with OneCard launch mobile-first, premium credit card
- Indian Bank, a public sector bank in India, has announced its partnership with OneCard, aimed at introducing state-of-the-art, mobile-first, contactless, metal co-branded credit cards.
- Aim: To empower users with full digital control over their credit card interactions ranging from real-time transactions tracking, spends management, EMI conversion, reward redemption, repayments, monthly budget planning to credit limit adjustments and seamless payments, all in-app.
Banking & Finance
6. IDFC First Bank makes digital rupee app interoperable with UPI QR codes
- IDFC FIRST Bank has unveiled a new enhancement, the integration of UPI QR Codes with its Central Bank Digital Currency app, the IDFC FIRST Bank Digital Rupee.
- Aim: To encourage the use of the digital rupee and make it more accessible.
- The new feature simplifies the process for merchants to accept payments made with the digital rupee.
- This development allows individuals to easily use digital rupees for payments through existing UPI QR codes at various merchant outlets.
Banking & Finance
7. The first WHO Traditional Medicine Global Summit 2023 held in Gujarat
- The WHO has released the outcome document of first WHO Traditional Medicine Global Summit 2023 in the form of “Gujarat Declaration”.
- The declaration reaffirmed global commitments towards indigenous knowledge, biodiversity and traditional, complementary and integrative medicine.
- WHO underlined that the application of rigorous scientific methods is needed to better understand, assess and, where appropriate, apply more holistic, context-specific.
8. Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launches 3-year partnership with Meta
- Union Minister for Education Dharmendra Pradhan launched a 3-year partnership of his Ministry with Meta in New Delhi.
- Aim: To provide Digital and marketing skills to students, educators, and entrepreneurs
- According to Dharmendra Pradhan ‘Education to Entrepreneurship’ partnership is a game-changer that will take Digital skill to the grassroots.
- Objective: To build capacities of the talent pool, and seamlessly connect students, youth, with futuristic technologies
9. Visakhapatnam Port's International Cruise Terminal inaugurated
- The International Cruise Terminal at Visakhapatnam Port, is poised to become a pivotal gateway for both domestic and international cruise tourism along India's eastern coast.
- This world-class facility promises to offer a transformative experience to tourists while fostering economic growth and benefiting local communities.
About Cruise Terminal:
- A berth measuring 180 meters in length.
- Four mooring dolphins, two on each side, extending the total length to 300 meters.
10. Hyderabad Firm Unveils India's First AI-Powered Anti-Drone System
- A Hyderabad-based robotics company has introduced a cutting-edge autonomous anti-drone system, utilizing artificial intelligence.
- Aim: To offers protection for critical facilities such as nuclear sites and oil rigs and also extends its coverage to include entire cities, effectively countering various types of drones.
- Claimed to be the world’s only anti-drone system capable of protecting against micro, mini, small, large and extra-large drones.
11. AG-365S of Marut Drones becomes first DGCA-certified drone for dual usage
- AG-365S kisan drone is India’s first Multi-utility Agriculture small Category Drone to receive the prestigious DGCA approved type certificate.
- AG-365S has highest endurance of 22 minutes, equipped with high end sensors for smooth operations and tested extensively for best quality.
- Marut Drones already boasts a Multipurpose Medium category agricultural drone and multiple RPTOs in partnership with prestigious institutions across India.
12. Meghalaya uses AI-enabled tech to clean up tourist hotspot Umiam lake
- Meghalaya has adopted Artificial Intelligence enabled robotic technology to keep it's beautiful tourist hotspot Umiam lake clean.
- It is able to collect huge quantities of garbage in a reasonable time from Umiam Lake, which was formed when a dam was built over the Umiam River as part of a hydel power project.
- The AI-enabled robotic boat was recently deployed in collaboration with Smart Village Movement and Hong Kong-based technology firm Clearbot
13. Koraput Kalajeera Rice Gets GI Tag
- Odisha’s ‘Koraput Kalajeera Rice’, which is famous for its unique aroma and nutritional value, was granted the Geographical Indications (GI) status.
- It is also called the ‘Prince of Rice’. This highly aromatic rice looks like coriander seeds.
- It is believed that the medicinal quality of this rice enhances memory, controls diabetes, increases hemoglobin levels and the body’s metabolism.
- It is grown in Tolla, Patraput, Pujariput, and Mohuli areas of the Koraput district.