1. Indian sprinter Amlan Borgohain bags two gold medals in Flanders Cup 2023
- Top Indian sprinter, Amlan Borgohain has bagged two gold medals in the men's 100 and 200-meter races category at the Flanders Cup 2023 athletics in Merksem, Belgium.
- He clocked 10.70 seconds to emerge as the fastest man of the meet.
- He holds the 100-meter national record of 10.25 seconds and holds 20.96 seconds in the 200-meter.
- Meanwhile, Sapna Kumari finished behind Belgium's Amber Vanden Bosch in the women's 100m hurdles after clocking 14.10.
Honours & Awards
2. BEST received 'Climate And Health' award at UITP Awards 2023
- The Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) Undertaking was honored with the prestigious 'Climate And Health' award at the UITP Awards 2023, Barcelona.
- Additionally, BEST Undertaking was recognized as one of the top three finalists in the 'Public And Urban Transport Strategy' category.
- UITP Awards are highly sought-after prizes in the field of public transport.
- Recently, the BEST was also awarded for 'Smart Mobility' category by FICCI.
3. World Environment Day 2023: 5th June
- World Environment Day is observed annually on June 5 to create awareness about the protection of the environment and the earth's well-being.
- The theme for World Environment Day 2023 is 'Solutions to plastic pollution', under the campaign #BeatPlasticPollution.
- The day is hosted by Côte d'Ivoire and supported by the Netherlands.
- This year marks the 50th anniversary of World Environment Day, which will focus on solutions to plastic pollution.
National & International Organizations
4. Telangana ranks top on overall environmental performance: CSE Report
- A non-profit Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) released its annual compendium, titled 'State of India's Environment 2023.
- It is based on four parameters i.e. environment, agriculture, public health, and infrastructure.
- Telangana was ranked at the top in terms of overall environmental performance and in terms of increasing forest cover.
- In agriculture, MP takes the top slot and Delhi leads in public health.
- Gujarat leads the rankings in public infrastructure.
5. Veteran actor Sulochana passes away
- Veteran actor Sulochana passed away at 94 due to age-related issues in Mumbai.
- She was featured in more than 250 Hindi and 50 Marathi films.
- She started her career with Marathi films in the early 1940s and soon moved to Hindi films, where she portrayed several mother roles in movies like Shammi Kapoor’s Dil Dekhe Dekho, Dilip Kumar’s Aadmi, Dev Anand’s Jhonny Mera Naam, Muqaddar Ka Sikandar, Himmatwala, and Andar Baahar.
- She was honoured with Padma Shri in 1999.
6. Indian shooters win gold medal in Mixed Team event at ISSF Junior World Cup
- Indian shooters Abhinav Shaw and Gautami Bhanot have bagged gold in the final of 10 meter Air Rifle Mixed Team event at the ISSF World Cup Junior 2023 in Suhl, Germany.
- The Indian team of Shaw and Bhanot registered a 17-7 win over the French pairing of Oceanne Mueller and Romain Aufrere in the gold medal match.
- With this, India now has two gold medals, one silver, and one bronze from the World Cup after two days of competition.
7. India win three medals in Asian U-20 Athletics Championship
- On the opening day, India won three medals (including two gold) at the 2023 Asian Under 20 Athletics Championships campaign in Yecheon, South Korea.
- Rezoana Mallick Heena and Bharatpreet Singh kicked off clinched gold medals in women’s 400-meter race and men’s discus throw respectively.
- Henna clocked 53.31 seconds to take the top position on the podium.
- Antima Pal won the third medal for India, a bronze, in the women’s 5,000-meter race.
National & International Organizations
8. National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) Rankings 2023 released
- MoS for Education and External Affairs Rajkumar Ranjan Singh released the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) Rankings 2023 on June 5, 2023.
- IIT Madras has emerged as the top college under the overall category for the fifth consecutive year and the best engineering institute for the eighth consecutive year.
- Research category: IISc Bengaluru has earned the top spot
- Agriculture and Allied Sectors: IARI, New Delhi
- Medical category: AIIMS Delhi
9. Jitendra Singh inaugurates 'Lavender Festival' in J&K
- Union MoS Jitendra Singh has inaugurated a two-day lavender festival at Bhaderwah, Jammu & Kashmir.
- He also highlighted that Bhaderwah has emerged as the Lavender capital of India and agri StartUp destination.
- CSIR, Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, Jammu had organized the event as part of its ‘One Week One Lab Campaign’
- The CSIR-Aroma Mission is a flagship project of CSIR under which Lavender cultivation is being promoted in the temperate regions of J&K
Banking & Finance
10. SBI Bengaluru Circle launches 'Project Kuber'
- The State Bank of India, Bengaluru Circle has launched ‘Project Kuber’, which will have four Transaction Banking Hubs and One Corporate Salary Package Hub.
- Aim: To increase the market share in liability products of SBI
- Location: SBI Administrative Building, KG Road, and Sampige Road in Malleswaram.
- Transaction Banking Hubs: It will offer services to corporate/non-corporate clients, from account opening to onboarding them on SBI’s digital platforms