Honours & Awards
1. P V Satyanarayana receives Dr. M.S. Swaminathan Award
- P.V. Satyanarayana, principal scientist at the Agricultural Research Station, Acharya N.G. Ranga Agricultural University Andhra Pradesh was presented 8th Dr M.S. Swaminathan award.
- He received the award in recognition of his contribution to the development of high-yielding rice varieties that exhibit resilience against pests and environmental challenges
- He has also contributed to fine-grain varieties and hybrid rice that have revolutionized agriculture across India.
2. Avinash Sable qualified 3000m steeplechase final at Xiamen Diamond League
- In Athletics, India’s Avinash Sable qualified for his maiden Diamond League Final after finishing fifth in the men’s 3000m steeplechase race at the Xiamen Diamond League 2023 in China.
- Morocco’s Soufiane El Bakkali, the reigning Olympic and world champion, won the Xiamen track
- Samuel Firewu of Ethiopia clinched the second spot while Amos Serem of Kenya claimed the third place.
- Commonwealth Games champion Abraham Kibiwot of Kenya came fourth.
3. Delhi Metro to start selling ‘Tourist Smart Cards’ at selected Metro statio
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation has started selling ‘Tourist Smart Cards’ from its selected Metro stations through dedicated counters.
- Aim: To facilitate the G20 delegates and international visitors who might be interested in exploring the prominent tourist places of the capital city as they arrive in Delhi.
- The ‘Tourist Smart Cards’ will be available in two categories of One-Day Validity and Three-Day Validity cards, offering unlimited rides in the Metro network.
4. Second edition of Naval Commanders' Conference 2023 began in New Delhi
- The second edition of Naval Commanders' Conference, 2023 held in New Delhi.
- Aim: To provide an opportunity for institutionalized interaction of Naval Commanders with senior Government officials to take ahead several inter-ministerial initiatives toward the development of a safe and secure maritime environment
- Commanders will review projects with a focus on enhancing indigenization through Make in India in consonance with the vision of achieving self-reliance by 2047
5. Kathmandu-Kalinga Literary Festival concluds in Lalitpur, Nepal
- The three-day-long Kathmandu-Kalinga Literary Festival successfully came to an end in Lalitpur, Nepal.
- Minister for Foreign Affairs NP Saud of Nepal had inaugurated the festival.
- Litterateurs from India, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka exhibited at the Festival and showcased literature and other art forms.
- Professor Avadhesh Pradhan, actress and writer Divya Dutta, Prof Madhav Prasad Pokharel, and actress Manisha Koirala were awarded Yashaswi Sahitya Samman.
Banking & Finance
6. Credit outstanding to real estate rises 38% to Rs 28 lakh crore in July
- As per RBI data Bank lending to the commercial real estate segment increased by 38 percent in July 2023 from July 2022
- Outstanding loans in the segment climbed to Rs 4.07 lakh crore as of July 28 2023 compared with Rs 2.94 lakh crore on July 29, 2022
- Comparatively loan growth was 3.6 percent in the period from July 30, 2021, to July 29, 2022
- In the housing segment, bank loans jumped 37 percent to Rs 24.3 lakh crore at the end of July 2023 from Rs 17.7 lakh crore a 2022
Banking & Finance
7. Sebi to curb influencers to help investors get accurate, unbiased info
- The rise of financial influencers who charge as high as Rs 7.5 lakh for a post on social media.
- Sebi introduced a new way for people to access and interpret financial information, and now they will soon come under the regulatory purview as Sebi proposed measures to curb their numbers.
- Aim: To ensure that investors receive accurate and unbiased information also helps in preserving authenticity and reducing fraud, Anand Rathi Wealth Deputy CEO Feroz Azeez told PTI.
Banking & Finance
8. Uday Kotak resigns as CEO of Kotak Mahindra Bank effective September 1
- Kotak Mahindra Bank share price gained a percent after Uday Kotak resigned from MD & CEO position of the bank.
- He will continue to serve as a non-executive director of the bank.
- Kotak announced to step down as managing director and chief executive officer of the bank and the baton was passed to Dipak Gupta, the Joint Managing Director at Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- Kotak Mahindra Bank shares gained as much as 1% to ₹1,789.05 apiece on the BSE.
Honours & Awards
9. Shanta Thoutam honored with World Innovation Award at BRICS
- Telangana Chief Innovation Officer Shanta Thoutam received the World Innovation Award at the first BRICS Innovation Forum hosted in Moscow.
- The award is given for outstanding contribution to Sustainable Development Goal-4 which ensures inclusive and equitable quality education and promotes lifelong opportunities for all.
- She as one of the panelists at the Cloud City Conference, spoke about the initiatives and achievements of Telangana in the space of open data
10. Govt exempts LPG imports from agri cess
- The government has exempted imports of LPG, liquified propane and liquified butane from 15 per cent agri cess with effect from September
- The government had in July 2023 imposed a 15 per cent agri cess on imports of these goods.
- The move brings the private sector to parity with the public sector, which was exempted from the Agriculture Infrastructure Development Cess and the Basic Customs Duty on Domestic LPG sold to household consumers.