Honours & Awards
1. Sudha Murty Becomes The First Woman To Get Global Indian Award
- Renowned author and philanthropist Sudha Murty Became the First Woman to honored with the Global Indian Award by the Canada India Foundation.
- The Global Indian Award, worth $50,000, is given annually to prominent Indians who have excelled in their respective fields.
- He was conferred by the Canada India Foundation at the Toronto gala event where she was accompanied by the parents of her son-in-law and British PM Rishi Sunak to the event.
2. India's skating contingent captures its first medal in Asian Games
- Indian women's Heeral Sadhu, Kartika Jagadeeswaran and Aarathy Kasturi Raj skating teams secured bronze medals in the speed skating 3000m relay competition at the Asian Games in Hangzhou.
- Other Winners
- Indian boxer Preeti Pawar won bronze medal
- India’s men's team of Aryan Pal, Anand Kumar, Siddhant, and Vikram won bronze medals in the speed skating 3000m relay
- India bagged total of 62 medals at the 2023 Asian Games, consisting of 13 gold, 24 silver, and 25 bronze
Honours & Awards
3. Nobel Prize 2023 Announced in Medicine or Physiology
- The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet announced the recipient of the 2023 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine.
- The award has been given to Katalin Kariko, and Drew Weissman for their discoveries that enabled the development of effective mRNA vaccines against Covid-19.
- Six Nobel Prizes are awarded each year, recognizing an individual’s or group’s contribution to a specific field.
- There are 351 nominees for the Nobel Peace Prize this year.
4. Southeast Asia’s First High-Speed Railway, Launched in Indonesia
- President of Indonesia Joko Widodo inaugurated the first “Whoosh” high-speed railway in Southeast Asia, a key project under the Road Infrastructure initiative of China.
- It is a collaborative venture between an Indonesian consortium of four state-owned companies and China Railway International Co. Ltd
- He has championed the 142 km railway
- Largely funded by China, USD 7.3 billion project was constructed by PT Kereta Cepat Indonesia-China, known as PT KCIC
National & International Appointments
5. Marico CEO Saugata Gupta appointed as chairman of ASCI
- Saugata Gupta has been appointed as the chairman of the Advertising Standards Council of India (ASCI).
- It is the leading self-regulatory organization in India and deals with communication guidelines in both offline and online advertising.
- It recently launched the ‘ASCI Academy’ to boost self-regulation during the creative process.
- His association with ASCI spans many yrs, including 2 yrs on the Board of Governors and 2 yrs as a special invitee on the Board of Governors
Banking & Finance
6. ADB reforms to free $100 billion over a decade
- The Asian Development Bank approved capital management reforms that unlock $100 billion in new funding capacity over the next decade to address the region’s overlapping, crises.
- The expansion of available funds will be further leveraged through mobilizing private and domestic capital to move from the billions to trillions to tackle the climate crisis.
- They expand the bank’s annual new commitments capacity to more than $36 billion an increase of approx $10 billion.
Honours & Awards
7. Mathematician Ruixiang Zhang to receive 2023 Sastra Ramanujan Prize
- Ruixiang Zhang, Assistant Professor, University of California, Berkeley, USA awarded with the 2023 SASTRA Ramanujan Prize for his outstanding contributions to mathematics.
- The annual cash prize of USD 10,000 will be given at an international conference in Number Theory on December 20 and December 22 at SASTRA University in Kumbakonam
- He has made contributions to the Generalization of Vinogradov’s Mean Value Theorem and Breakthroughs in Restriction Theory
8. Tripura becomes fourth state to introduce e-cabinet system
- Tripura CM Manik Saha launched an e-cabinet system at Agartala to promote digital infrastructure development and digitization of government services and information.
- Tripura has thus become the fourth state—and second in the Northeast—after Uttarakhand, UP, and Arunachal Pradesh, to have introduced an e-cabinet system.
- All future cabinet meetings in the state will be paperless, reducing the carbon footprint and environmental degradation in the process
9. Indian Air Force Set to Induct Astra BVR Air-to-Air Missile
- The Indian Air Force made significant strides to enhance its air defense capabilities with the impending induction of indigenous Astra Beyond Visual Range (BVR) Air-to-Air Missiles.
- The IAF has entered into contracts with Bharat Dynamics Limited for these advanced missiles, marking a crucial step towards reducing import dependency and bolstering national security.
- The first batch of Astra-MK1 missiles, developed by the Defence Research and Development Laboratory.
10. Indian men's football team wins SAFF Under-19 Championship
- In Football, India won the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Under-19 Championship after defeating Pakistan in the finals at the Dashrath Rangasala Stadium in Kathmandu.
- Most Valuable Player was Manglenthang Kipgen (IND)
- Top Scorers of the Tournament (all 3 goals)
- Gwgwmsar Goyary (IND)
- Jigme Namgyal (BHU)
- Samir Tamang (NEP)
- Best Goalkeeper
- Lionel Daryl Rymmei (IND)