Honours & Awards
1. Manoj Bajpayee’s 'Joram' wins awards at Durban International Film Festival
- Manoj Bajpayee headliner Joram has won two awards at the Durban International Film Festival.
- Manoj bagged the ‘Best Actor’ trophy, the film’s cinematographer Piyush Puty won the award for ‘Best Cinematography’.
- The film is a psychological thriller about a hunted displaced man who is on the run to protect his daughter directed by Devashish Makhija.
- The film also deals with issues such as social inequalities, injustice with the tribal communities and deforestation.
2. UAS to open first-of-its-kind agriculture science museum in Bengaluru
- The University of Agricultural Sciences (UAS) will be opening a first-of-its-kind museum on its campus in Bengaluru.
- Minister of Agriculture N. Cheluvarayaswamy would inaugurate the museum.
- Aim: To introduce the evolution of agricultural practices into the lives of students and the general public increasingly cut-off from the experience by the "urban buzz".
- The museum will serve as a one-stop solution where they can get information about agriculture.
3. Government launched piliot digital crop survey in 12 states
- The Government has launched a digital crop survey in 12 states on a pilot basis from Kharif season of this year for better sowing data collection
- Aims: To create a single and verified source of truth about the crop sown data which is useful for accurate crop area estimation and development of farmers' solutions
- The 12 selected states are Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Odisha, Assam and Telangana
Read Full News >>
4. India's overall unemployment rate falls to 7.95% in July from 8.45% in June
- According to data released by private forecaster Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy, the total unemployment rate fell to 7.95% in July, from 8.45% in June
- Rural unemployment rate fell to 7.89%, from 8.73% in June, while the urban unemployment rate ticked up, to 8.06% from 7.87% in the same period
- Rural unemployment rate falls due to increased demand for laborers for farming work
- Labour force rate in urban areas also fell, indicating a broader weakness in the economy.
5. U.P. Cabinet approves Water Tourism and Adventure Sports Policy
- The Uttar Pradesh Cabinet approved the Uttar Pradesh Water Tourism and Adventure Sports Policy 2023.
- Aims: To make the state a water tourism and adventure sports destination.
- According to Tourism Minister Jaiveer Singh, this policy will be valid for 10 years from the date notified by the state government
- The policy will be applicable to all inland land-based, air-based and all adventure activities to be carried out on various water bodies and land parcels in the state.
6. Government launched the scheme - Vivad se Vishwas-II
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman has launched the scheme, “Vivad se Vishwas 2 in the Union Budget 2023-24
- Aims: To resolve the govt's contractual disputes with private parties, clear the backlog of litigation, and improve the ease of doing business
- Objective: To settle contractual disputes of government and government undertakings, wherein arbitral award is under challenge in a court, a voluntary settlement scheme with standardized terms will be introduced
7. Centre owes ₹6,366 crores in MGNREGS wages to 18 States and UT
- According to Minister of State for the Ministry Of Rural Development Sadhvi Niranjan Jyoti the Centre owes Rs 6,366 crore in dues to states and Union Territories under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme
- Central government owes the highest amount – Rs 2,770 crore – to West Bengal.
- MGNREGS aims to enhance livelihood security in rural areas by providing at least 100 days of wage employment in a financial year to unskilled manual work
8. Subroto Mukherjee Sports Education Society have signed MoU with AIFF
- Subroto Mukherjee Sports Education Society (SMSES) have signed MoU with the All India Football Federation (AIFF) for the first time ever.
- Aim: To promote football at the grassroots level
- SMSES would form a Subroto XI team under Junior Boys (Under-17) from this edition onwards.
- According to SMSES member Alok Sharma that the team will also participate in AIFF Youth Competition from the 2023-24 season.
- Workshop will be held by AIFF for coaches to update and educate them.
Banking & Finance
9. 28 % GST on online gaming & casinos to be effective from Oct 1 2023
- According to Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, 28 percent GST on casinos and online gaming is expected to be implemented from the 1st of October.
- 28% GST would be applicable on the amount being paid at the entry level for online gaming.
- GST Council recommended certain amendments in the CGST Act 2017 and IGST Act 2017, including amendment in Schedule III of CGST Act, 2017, to provide clarity on the taxation of supplies in casinos, horse racing and online gaming.
10. Bharat Dynamics Limited hands over first Radio Frequency to DRDO
- The Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL), has handed over the first Radio Frequency (RF) Seeker of Akash - the Next Generation Weapon System to Defence Research and Development Organization.
- Seeker is a critical and technology intensive subsystem used in Surface-to-Air Missiles and Air-to-Air Missiles for target tracking in the terminal phase.
- RF Seeker has been designed by DRDO’s Research Centre Imarat, and produced by BDL at its state-of-the-art Seeker Facility Centre
Science & Technology
11. India is fifth amongst spacefaring countries in the world
- According to Minister of State for Atomic Energy Jitendra Singh, India is the fifth among spacefaring countries in the world having end-to-end capabilities in space research and development.
- India has the capability to launch from its own land and operate programmes of earth observation, satellite communication, meteorology, space science and navigation, and ground infrastructure.
- After space sector reforms, the NewSpace industries are also emerging at a fast pace.
12. Govt launch e-CARe portal for seamless transfer of bodies of Indians abroad
- The Government will launch the e-CARe (e-Clearance for Afterlife Remains) portal to facilitate the swift transfer of mortal remains of Indians who die abroad.
- Aims: To avoid delay during the transportation of the deceased human remains across international borders.
- According to Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya, through this portal intimation will be sent through email, SMS, and WhatsApp to the Central International Health Division, Nodal Officer and the Airlines.
13. President of India inaugurated 'UNMESHA' and 'UTKARSH' festivals in Bhopal
- President Draupadi Murmu will inaugurate the national festival of India's folk and tribal expressions "Utkarsh" and the international literature festival "Unmesh" in Bhopal
- Culture Department Madhya Pradesh along with Sangeet Natak Akademi and Sahitya Akademi of the Ministry of Culture is organizing this event from 3rd to 5th August.
- The international literature festival Unmesh is Asia's largest literary convention
- 15 countries will participate in the Unmesh festival.