1. ICC announces official mascots for Cricket World Cup 2023
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has revealed the two official ICC mascots named 'Blaze' and 'Tonk' for the 2023 Cricket World Cup in India.
- 'Blaze' is a female mascot, bowling at a rapid pace, leaving batters in sheer awe.
- She is adorned with a belt carrying six power cricket orbs, each meticulously prepared for various game-changing tactics.
- 'Tonk' is a male mascot, with icy-cool composure, making him a batting champion.
National & International Appointments
2. Govt extends tenure of Central Board of Direct Taxes chairman
- The Union government has extended the tenure of the incumbent chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), Nitin Gupta till June 30, 2024.
- The nine-month extension for Gupta came on the day when he was scheduled to retire and demit from office.
- As per the Centre's notification, his service period has been extended “on a contract basis".
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the reappointment of Gupta as the CBDT Chairman.
3. PM Modi launches Sankalp Saptaah in 500 Aspirational Blocks
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched a unique week-long programme for aspirational blocks in the country called 'Sankalp Saptaah' at the Bharat Mandapam on 30 September 2023.
- It is being implemented in 500 aspirational blocks across 329 districts in the country.
- 'Sankalp Saptaah' is linked to the effective implementation of the Aspirational Blocks Programme (ABP).
- The ABPP was launched across the nation by the Prime Minister on 7 January, 2023.
National & International Appointments
4. Lt Gen Raghu Srinivasan takes over as Director General Border Roads
- Lt Gen Raghu Srinivasan took over as the 28th Director General Border Roads (DGBR) on September 30, 2023.
- He assumed the charge following the superannuation of Lt Gen Rajeev Chaudhry.
- Prior to his appointment as the DGBR, the General Officer was holding the appointment of Commandant, College of Military Engineering, Pune.
- Lt Gen Raghu Srinivasan is an alumnus of the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla, and the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun.
Summits & Conferences
5. Ministry of Tourism to host PATA Travel Mart 2023 in New Delhi
- Ministry of Tourism will be hosting the 46th edition of the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) Travel Mart 2023 at the magnificent International Exhibition-cum-Convention Centre, Pragati Maidan, in New Delhi.
- The Mart is scheduled to take place from October 4th to 6th 2023.
- Aim: To bring together tourism professionals and business stakeholders from across the world
- The Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) was founded in 1951, with its Headquarters in Bangkok.
6. 30th Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise successfully concludes
- The 30th edition of the Singapore-India Maritime Bilateral Exercise (SIMBEX) has successfully concluded in Singapore.
- Indian Naval Ships Ranvijay, Kavaratti, submarine Sindhukesari, and a long-range Maritime Patrol Aircraft P8I participated in the exercise.
- Combined aviation, firefighting, and damage control exercises were conducted during the period.
- The sea phase of SIMBEX 23 was conducted from 25 to 28 of September.
7. Dharmendra Pradhan launches the Bharatiya Bhasha Utsav
- Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched Bharatiya Bhasha Utsav and Technology and Bharatiya Bhasha Summit in New Delhi.
- The two-day summit aims to set a course for a technologically enriched future for Bharatiya languages in education.
- The summit encompassed 3 pivotal thematic sessions with a special focus on the integration of technology in promoting Bharatiya Bhasha, including its role in teaching, training, examination, and translating educational materials.
Banking & Finance
8. RBI grants approval to IFC for acquiring 9.7% stake in Federal Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has granted approval to the International Finance Corporation (IFC) to acquire a 9.7% stake in Federal Bank.
- Earlier this year, the Kerala-based private sector lender had raised ₹959 crore via preferential issue of shares to the World Bank Group member.
- ’The Federal Bank Ltd has received an intimation from the Reserve Bank of India on September 28, 2023.
- After RBI, the stake holding is subject to compliance by other regulatory bodies.
9. India's Sarabjot Singh, Divya TS won silver in 10m air pistol mixed team
- India's Sarabjot Singh, Divya TS won silver in the 10m air pistol mixed team on Day 7 of the Asian Games 2023.
- On day 7, India's medal tally reached 38 including Gold (10); Silver (14); and Bronze (14).
- Other winners:
- Arathy Raj 5th in women's 10000m speed skating final.
- Tennis players, Rohan Bopanna, and Rutuja Bhosala clinch gold in mixed doubles final.
- Indian men’s team beats Pakistan in thrilling Squash final to win gold medal.