1. Chennai Super Kings beat Gujarat Titans to win fifth IPL title
- Chennai Super Kings (CSK) has defeated defending champions Gujarat Titans by 5 wickets to win its 5th IPL title.
- The final match of IPL 2023 was held at Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, Gujarat on May 29, 2023.
- IPL 2023 awards:
- Orange Cap (Highest Run-Scorer): Shubman Gill (GT) 890 runs
- Purple Cap (Leading Wicket-taker): Mohammed Shami (GT) 28 wickets
- Most Valuable Player: Shubman Gill
- Emerging Players: Yashasvi Jaiswal
- Fairplay Award: Gujarat Titans
Honours & Awards
2. Goan writer Damodar Mauzo conferred with 57th Jnanpith Award
- Governor of Goa, P S Sreedharan Pillai has presented the 57th Jnanpith Award, the country's highest literary honor, to Goan writer Damodar Mauzo.
- 25 books have been published in Konkani and one in English.
- Many of his books have also been translated into different languages.
- In 1983, he has conferred the Sahitya Akademi Award for his novel 'Karmelin'.
- He is the second Goan to receive the Jnanpith Award, after Ravindra Kelekar, who received the award in 2008.
National & International Appointments
3. Praveen Kumar Srivastava sworn in as Central Vigilance Commissioner
- President of India Droupadi Murmu has administered the oath of office to senior administrator Praveen Kumar Srivastava as the next Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC).
- The oath ceremony was attended by PM Narendra Modi and VP Jagdeep Dhankhar.
- PK Srivastava was already working in the capacity of acting CVC, after the completion of the tenure of incumbent CVC Suresh N Patel in December 2022.
- He is a 1988-batch IAS officer from Assam-Meghalaya Cadre.
National & International Appointments
4. CAG Girish Chandra Murmu re-elected External Auditor of WHO for four-year
- The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, Girish Chandra Murmu has been re-elected as the External Auditor of the World Health Organisation (WHO) for a four-year term (2024-2027).
- The CAG is already holding this position in the WHO for a four-year term (2019-2023).
- In the election held at the 76th World Health Assembly in Geneva, the CAG was re-elected with a majority of 114 out of 156 votes.
- Earlier, the CAG was selected as an External Auditor of the ILO.
5. Dubai set goals for Zero-Emissions Public Transportation by 2050
- The Roads and Transport Authority of Dubai has set a target to achieve zero-emissions public transportation by 2050.
- Aim: To contribute to climate change mitigation and minimize its carbon footprint across three critical areas (public transportation, buildings and facilities, and waste management)
- This move aligns with the UAE COP28 preparations and UAE Net Zero by 2050 Strategic Initiative
- It outlined ten key initiatives, each assigned to various agencies and sectors
6. UP Hockey wins 13th Hockey India Sub Junior Men National Championship 2023
- Uttar Pradesh Hockey defeated the Hockey Association of Odisha to win the 13th Hockey India Sub Junior Men National Championship 2023, held at the iconic Birsa Munda Hockey Stadium, Odisha.
- Meanwhile, Hockey Haryana beat Hockey Madhya Pradesh to finish third in the competition.
- Ujjwal Pal converted three penalty corners, while Rahul Yadav, Ketan Kushwaha, Rahul Rajhbar, and Ajeet Yadav (Team Captain) each scored a goal to secure their victory.
7. India clinches title of CAVA Women’s Challenge Cup 2023
- India has won the title of the NSC-CAVA Women’s Volleyball Challenge Cup held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- India won the title by defeating Kazakhstan in the final at the National Sports Council’s Covered Hall in Tripureshwor, Kathmandu.
- The event was organized by the Nepal Volleyball Association and is supported by the NSC, eight nations participated in it.
- In the competition, Kazakhstan became the runner-up, followed by Nepal, Uzbekistan, Sri Lanka, and Kyrgyzstan.
8. Naveen Patnaik launches 'Odisha for AI, and AI for Youth' initiative
- Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik has launched the ‘Odisha for AI’ and ‘Artificial Intelligence for Youth’ initiatives.
- Odisha for AI: A free 4-hour course on AI by Intel on its app/site
- In the first phase, the initiative will be implemented in Bhubaneswar, Puri, and Cuttack.
- AI for youth: It is for students (below 18) of 2000 5T schools of phase 1 and Odisha Adarsh Vidyalayas
- Aim: To create an ecosystem fostering research, innovation, and application across sectors
9. Unemployment rate dips to 6.8% in January-March 2023
- According to the Periodic Labour Force Survey, released by the National Statistical Office, India's unemployment rate has declined to 6.8% in January-March 2023 (Q4FY23) from 7.2% in Q3FY23.
- The unemployment rate was 6% for men and 9.2% for women.
- It was 6.5% and 9.6% for men and women respectively, in October– December 2022.
- The female labour force participation has increased marginally to 22.7% in Q4FY23 and the male labour force participation stands at 73.5%.
Banking & Finance
10. FDI equity inflows dip 22% to $46 billion in 2022-23: DPIIT data
- According to the Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade data, the Foreign direct investment (FDI) into India has declined by 22% to $46 billion in 2022-23.
- Reason: Lower inflows in computer hardware and software, and the automobile industry
- The FDI inflows stood at $58.77 billion during 2021-22.
- Top Investors (April-March 2022-23): Singapore ($17.2 billion), Mauritius, US, and UAE
- State-wise, Maharashtra received the highest inflows of $14.8 billion.
11. Congress MP Suresh Dhanorkar passes away
- Congress MP from Chandrapur Lok Sabha constituency of Maharashtra, Balu alias Suresh Dhanorkar passed away.
- Dhanorkar was born in Yavatmal district on June 4, 1975.
- In 2014, he was elected as an MLA of Shiv Sena, winning the Warora-Bhadrawati Assembly seat.
- He resigned from the Shiv Sena in 2019 and was elected as a Congress MP from Chandrapur Vani Arni Lok Sabha constituency.
- His wife Pratibha Dhanorkar is also a Congress MLA from the Varora constituency.
Honours & Awards
12. Justine Triet’s ‘Anatomy of a Fall’ wins Palme d’Or at Cannes 2023
- Crime drama 'Anatomy of a Fall' (directed by Justine Triet) was conferred with the Palme d’Or, the highest prize at the 2023 Cannes Film Festival.
- She is the third woman director to win Cannes' top honour.
- Other awardees:
- Honorary Palme d’Or: Michael Douglas
- Best Actress: Merve Dizdar (for About Dry Grasses)
- Best Actor: Kōji Yakusho (For Perfect Days)
- Best Director: Tran Anh Hung (For The Pot-Au-Feu)
- Short Film Palme d’Or: 27 (directed by Flóra Anna Buda)
Books & Authors
13. Goa Raj Bhavan launches first books under Governor’s scheme
- Five books published under the Raj Bhavan’s scheme for new writers titled ‘Nayi Pahal’ were released by Governor PS Sreedharan Pillai in a function at Raj Bhavan.
- The five books released were authored by Sanjay Ramesh Salelkar (Konkani), Pallavi Polekar (Marathi), Manohar Adpaikar (Marathi), and Pachu Menon (two books in English).
- The five titles are the first of 100 odd books that the Raj Bhavan plans on publishing in 22 different languages through its innovative scheme