1. Novak Djokovic wins his 10th Australian Open title in 2023
- Novak Djokovic (Serbian) defeated Stefanos Tsitsipas (Greek tennis player) to win Men's singles 2023 Australian Open title in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
- It is the 10th Australian Open championship and 22nd Grand Slam title (overall) of Novak Djokovic.
- While Aryna Sabalenka (Belarus) won the Women's singles.
- Men's doubles: Rinky Hijikata and Jason Kubler (Australia)
- Women's doubles: Barbora Krejčíková and Kateřina Siniaková (Czech Republic)
2. Germany beat Belgium in the finals to lift the Hockey World Cup 2023 title
- Germany lifted the title of FIH Men’s Hockey World Cup 2023 held at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar, India.
- Germany defeated Belgium by 5-4 in the penalty shootout.
- With this win, Germany became the fourth team to have won three or more hockey World Cup titles, after Pakistan, Netherlands, and Australia.
- List of the winners:
- Best Player: Niklas Wellen (Germany)
- Best Goalkeeper:Vincent Vanasch (Belgium)
- Best Junior Player: Mustapha Cassiem
- Fair Play Award: Belgium
Summits & Conferences
3. G20 International Financial Architecture Working Group begins in Chandigarh
- The first G20 International Financial Architecture Working Group meeting under the G20 Indian Presidency is being organized in Chandigarh from 30th to 31st January 2023.
- The meeting was inaugurated by Union agriculture minister, Narendra Singh Tomar, and food processing industries minister, Pashupati Kumar Paras
- Focus: On strengthening the international financial architecture.
- It also aims to address multiple challenges faced by vulnerable countries.
4. MoE releases All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2020-2021
- The Ministry of Education (MoE) released the All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2020-2021, covering all higher educational institutions located in Indian Territory and imparting higher education in the country.
- The total enrollment of students in higher education has increased to nearly 4.14 crore in 2020-21 from 3.85 crores in 2019-20.
- Female enrolment has increased to 2.01 crore from 1.88 crores in 2019-20.
5. World Neglected Tropical Diseases Day 2023: 30th January
- World Neglected Tropical Diseases(NTD) Day is annually observed across the world on 30th January to create awareness about Neglected Tropical Diseases(NTD).
- 2023 theme: Act Now. Act Together. Invest in Neglected Tropical Diseases
- Focus: On strengthening the interventions to promote equitable health services for all
- The first World NTD Day was observed on 30 January 2020.
- Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs) are a group of 20 diseases caused by a variety of pathogens.
6. Fifth Khelo India Youth Games 2022 begins in Madhya Pradesh
- The fifth edition of the Khelo India Youth Games 2022 started at TT Nagar Stadium in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- The event was inaugurated by Anurag Singh Thakur (Union sports minister) and MP CM, Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
- The event will be continued till February 11 in eight cities of MP (Bhopal, Indore, Ujjain, Jabalpur, Gwalior, Mandla, Balaghat, and Maheshwar)
- The Khelo India Youth Games was started in 2018
- At that time the name of these games was Khelo India School Games
Banking & Finance
7. RenewBuy launches customized health insurance plan
- RenewBuy has launched its first line of customized health insurance products 'RenewBuy Health Wellness plan'.
- Focus: On the large uninsured segment beyond the tier 1 markets.
- It is available in three variants: Gold Plan, Silver Plan, Wellness Plan.
- The product has new-age health insurance benefits, ranging from coverage of ₹2-5 lakhs.
- Up to 70% lower premiums are offered for senior citizens, and up to 50% lower premiums for people till 59 years.
Science & Technology
8. ISRO to launch Aditya-L1 by June-July 2023
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to launch the Aditya-L1 mission by June or July 2023.
- Aditya-L1 is the first Indian space mission to observe the Sun and the solar corona.
- The ISRO recently received the Visible Line Emission Coronagraph (VELC), which is the primary payload onboard Aditya-L1, from the Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA).
- VELC is the first scientific mission of India for studying the sun.
9. New Zealand to introduce Debbie H. Medal to honour women cricketers
- New Zealand Cricket (NZC) introduced the Debbie Hockley Medal annual awards ceremony, to honour the outstanding female cricketer of the year.
- The medal will be the women's equivalent of the Sir Richard Hadlee Medal.
- Debbie is the only woman to have won the supreme New Zealand Cricketer of the Year Award in 1998.
- She was the fourth woman to be inducted into the ICC Hall of Fame.
- She was also the first woman to be elected President of NZC.
Banking & Finance
10. NSE becomes world's largest derivatives exchange for 4th straight year
- According to the Futures Industry Association (FIA), the National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) emerged as the world's largest derivatives exchange in 2022, in terms of the number of contracts traded.
- This is the fourth consecutive year when the exchange earned the top spot.
- In addition, the exchange was ranked third in the equity segment by the number of trades (electronic order book) in 2022.
- NSE HQ: Mumbai
Commentswrite a comment