National & International Appointments
1. Mohamed Muizzu has been elected as President of Maldives
- Pro-China leader Mohamed Muizzu has been elected as President of Maldives.
- Muizzu defeated incumbent Mohamed Solih to become president of the island nation.
- About Mohamed Muizzu:
- Mohamed Muizzu, 45, is a British-educated civil engineer.
- He was an unlikely candidate for the presidency after serving as construction minister in the government of his mentor Abdulla Yameen.
- He oversaw several Chinese-funded infrastructure projects including a $200-million bridge linking
2. India’s Rohan Bopanna-Rutuja Bhosale win gold medal in mixed doubles
- Indian tennis players Rohan Bopanna and Rutuja Bhosale won the gold medal in the mixed doubles event at the Asian Games 2023 in Hangzhou
- The second-seeded Indian duo defeated ninth seeds Tsung-hao Huang and Liang En-shuo of Chinese Taipei in the final at the Hangzhou Olympic Sports Centre.
- Other Winners
- The men's doubles team of Saketh Myneni and Ramkumar Ramanathan won a silver in tennis.
3. PM inaugurated the country's first high-tech sports training center
- On the occasion of Mahatma Gandhi's birthday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the country's first high-tech sports training center for Divyangjan, named after former PM Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee, in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
- Aim: To provide equal opportunities in sports, enhance talent, and encourage participation in various sports disciplines.
- Objective: To demonstrate commitment to an inclusive and accessible sports ecosystem, emphasizing the power of sports
4. Nation celebrates 154th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi
- The nation paid homage to the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi on his 154th birth anniversary on October 2nd.
- A Sarva Dharma Prarthana Sabha was organised at Bapu's Samadhi at Rajghat in the national capital.
- Historic Gandhi Ashram at Noakhali organised a series of programmes in the premises to pay homage to Mahatma Gandhi.
- The nation is also remembering former Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri on his birth anniversary.
5. Table Tennis players won bronze medal in women’s doubles tournament
- Indian Table Tennis players Ayhika Mukherjee and Sutirtha Mukherjee picked up a historic bronze medal in the women’s doubles tournament in the Asian Games 2023 in Hangzhou.
- The Indian duo lost to Suyong Cha and Sugyong Pak of North Korea in the semi-finals
- The Indian duo is ranked 16th in the world.
- With this, India's medal tally has now gone up to 56 medals, comprising of 13 gold, 21 silver, and 22 bronze.
Banking & Finance
6. Nashik Zilla Girna Sahakari Bank’s Registration Canceled by RBI
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has canceled the certificate of registration of Nashik Zilla Girna Sahakari Bank Ltd due to the Bank’s inadequate capital and failure to comply with the banking regulations.
- According to RBI, on liquidation, every depositor in Nashik Zilla Girna Sahakari Bank would be entitled to receive the deposit insurance claim amount of his/ her deposits up to Rs5 lakh from Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC).
Banking & Finance
7. Karnataka Bank launches “Doorstep Gold loan facility” with SahiBandhu
- Karnataka Bank, a leading private sector Bank is launching “Door -Step Gold Loan” facility named “KBL-Swarna Bandhu” for its customers, a unique product for gold loans with end to end digitization.
- Aim: To provide Gold Loan Services at customer’s door step.
- The bank has partnered with SahiBandhu a leading aggregator platform for gold loans backed by The Manipal Group.
- It help in improving the gold loan portfolio of Bank.
National & International Organizations
8. TCS retains its number one position as most valuable brand
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has retained the top spot with a brand value of $43 billion in the latest edition of the Kantar BrandZ Top 75 Most Valuable Indian Brands Report.
- The top five positions are:
- HDFC Bank
- State Bank of India
- TCS continues to successfully capitalise on global demand for digital transformation, despite a tough year for the business technology category in general.
9. Iran’s launch of Noor 3 satellite casts shadow on Middle East – analysis
- Iran's Revolutionary Guards, a branch of the nation's armed forces, launched the Noor 3 spacecraft atop a three-stage Qasem rocket
- “Noor” means “light” in Farsi, while “Qased” means “messenger.”
- Noor 3 is an imaging satellite
- The spacecraft's two predecessors, Noor 1 and Noor 2, launched in April 2020 and March 2022, respectively, also atop Qased rockets
- The country has had many failed satellite launches in recent years
10. Jitendra Singh launches the Intelligent Grievance Monitoring System (IGMS)
- Jitendra Singh, Union Minister of Science & Technology launched the IGMS 2.0 Public Grievance portal and Automated Analysis in Tree Dashboard portal of the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG).
- It has been implemented by IIT Kanpur following an MoU with DARPG in 2021 for upgrading DARPG Information Systems with AI
- He also launched the Swachhata Special Campaign 3.0 and released the Precedent Book (e-book) prepared by the Department.