1. Virat Kohli becomes first Indian to play 100 matches in each format
- Virat Kohli has become the first Indian and the second player overall in international cricket history to have played 100 matches each in all three formats of the game.
- Kohli has now 100 T20Is to his name in addition to 102 Tests and 262 ODIs since his international debut in August 2008.
- New Zealand batter, Ross Taylor is the first player, who played 112 Tests, 236 ODIs and 102 T20Is between 2006 and 2022.
- Rohit has already played 132 matches in the shorter format.
2. Viktor Axelsen clinches 2022 BWF World Championships singles title
- Viktor Axelsen from Denmark has clinched his second BWF World Championships men's singles title after beating Kunlavut Vitidsarn from Thailand in Tokyo.
- The women's singles title has been retained by Akane Yamaguchi from Japan.
- She has defeated China's Olympic champion, Chen Yufei in the final.
- Men's Double: Malaysia Aaron Chia; Malaysia Soh Wooi Yik
- Women's Double: China Chen Qingchen; China Jia Yifan
- Mixed Double: China Zheng Siwei; China Huang Yaqiong
3. National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority celebrates Silver Jubilee
- The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has observed its Silver Jubilee in New Delhi on August 29.
- On the occasion, Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister, Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya has also launched an Integrated Pharmaceutical Database Management System 2.0.
- It is an integrated responsive cloud-based application.
It will provide a single window for submissions of various forms as mandated under Drug Price Control Order, 2013.
4. PM Modi inaugurates ‘Smriti Van’ Earthquake Memorial in Kutch, Gujarat
- PM Modi has inaugurated the Smriti Van memorial to celebrate the courage shown by people during the devastating 2001 earthquake in the Kutch region of Gujarat (Epicentre: Bhuj).
- The grand structure is spread over 470 acres on Bhujiyo Hill near Bhuj town.
- It celebrates the strength and resistance of people of Kutch.
- It also has a state-of-the-art Smriti Van Earthquake Museum.
- He also inaugurated the 300m long ‘Atal Bridge’ for pedestrians across the Sabarmati River.
5. FIFA lifts ban on All India Football Federation
- World football federation, FIFA has lifted the ban imposed on the All India Football Federation (AIFF) after the Supreme Court terminated the mandate of the Committee of Administrators (CoA).
- FIFA has also cleared the decks for India to host the Women's U-17 World Cup in October 2022.
- FIFA had suspended AIFF on August 15 for "undue influence from third parties" and the revocation came 11 days after that.
Honours & Awards
6. NITI Aayog declared Haridwar as the best aspirational district
- The NITI Aayog has declared Haridwar in Uttarakhand as the best aspirational district on five parameters and has become entitled to receive additional allocation of ₹3 crore
- The Haridwar district has been allocated to union commerce and industries minister Piyush Goyal
- The allocated money will be used to improve the health sector including the hospitals in Roorkee and district hospital Haridwar.
- NITI Aayog Vice Chairperson: Suman Bery; CEO: Parameswaran Iyer
7. PMJDY completes eight years of successful implementation
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY), the National Mission for Financial Inclusion has completed eight years of successful implementation on August 28.
- Data under PMJDY:
- Beneficiaries: More than 46.25 crore has banked under PMJDY since inception.
- Amount: Over 1,73,0000 crore rupees
- Women: 56% are Jan-Dhan account holders
- 67% of Jan Dhan accounts are in Rural and semi-urban areas.
- 31.94 crore RuPay cards have been issued.
- The PMJDY was announced by PM Modi in 2014
8. UP government launched new Parivar Kalyan Card
- The central government has given its nod to the UP government Family ID plan named the Parivar Kalyan Card.
- Aim: To establish a comprehensive database of the family units for its various schemes.
- It will provide a unique 12-digit ID number for each family.
- The initial collection of data for families will be conducted through ration cards.
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MEITY) has allowed the UP government to link Aadhaar data with the PKC.
9. India, Tanzania decide to set up task force for defence cooperation
- India and Tanzania has decided to set up a task force to prepare a five-year roadmap to boost bilateral defence cooperation.
- This decision was taken during wide-ranging talks between Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh and his visiting Tanzanian counterpart, Stergomena Lawrence Tax.
- Aim: To boost the bilateral defence ties as well as military-to-military cooperation.
- Defence Minister, Rajnath Singh has also invited Tax to the India-Africa Defence Dialogue and the DefExpo.
10. IOC to spend Rs 2 lakh crore for net-zero target by 2046
- India's top oil refiner, Indian Oil Corp (IOC) has planned to invest more than Rs 2 lakh crore (or $25 billion) to achieve net-zero emissions from its operations by 2046.
- The target set is in line with India's aim to reach net-zero emissions by 2070.
- IOC oil refining and petrochemicals business has a total emission of 21.5 million tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2)
- IOC has already prepared a road map to achieve its net zero scope 1 and 2 emissions
- IOC chairman: S.M. Vaidya