National & International Appointments
1. Gurbirpal Singh takes over as Director General of NCC
- Lt General Gurbirpal Singh has taken over as the 34th Director General of National Cadet Corps (NCC) with effect from September 27, 2021
- He succeeded Tarun Kumar Aich
- He was commissioned into Parachute Regiment in 1987
- He has commanded a Special Forces Battalion in the intense counter-terrorism environment of the Valley Sector in Kashmir and also in the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon.
- NCC is the youth wing of Indian Armed Forces
- Headquarters of NCC: New Delhi
2. Food Processing and Housing Ministry launches Seed Capital Module
- Ministry of Food Processing Industries, along with Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has launched Seed Capital Module under Pradhan Mantri Formalisation of Micro food processing Enterprises (PMFME) Scheme
- It was launched on Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) MIS Portal to members of urban SHGs working in food processing sector
- It can be accessed at https://nulm.gov.in/Auth/Login.aspx
- PMFME Scheme is centrally sponsored scheme
Arts & Culture
3. Sweet Cucumber of Nagaland gets geographical indication (GI) tag
- Sweet Cucumber from Nagaland has officially been certified by India’s Registrar of Geographical Indications (GI).
- It is the 3rd agricultural products (Other two are Tree tomato (tamarillo) and Naga king chilli) and 4th overall to be granted GI tag from Nagaland
- GI tag has been granted under Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999
- Naga cucumber are mostly cultivated in Mon, Mokokchung, Peren and Wokha districts
4. International Day for Universal Access to Information: 28th September
- International Day for the Universal Access to Information (Access to Information Day) is observed every year on 28 September to raise awareness about equal, healthy and inclusive knowledge societies.
- Initially, it was designated by UNESCO in November 2015 and was first held on 28 September 2016.
- It was later proclaimed on 15 October 2019 at 74th UN General Assembly.
- Theme 2021: The Right to Know – Building Back Better with Access to Information.
5. World Rabies Day: 28th September
- World Rabies Day is being observed annually on September 28 to raise awareness about the impact of rabies on humans and animals, provide information and advice on how to prevent the disease and take efforts to control rabies.
- 2021 is the 15th edition of World Rabies Day.
- Theme of WRD 2021: Rabies: Facts, not Fear.
- The day marks the death anniversary of the French chemist and microbiologist, Louis Pasteur, who developed the first rabies vaccine
National & International Appointments
6. Magnus Carlsen appointed as Global Brand Ambassador of Mastercard
- Chess player, Magnus Carlsen has been appointed as the Global Brand Ambassador of Mastercard
- This step is part of move by Mastercard for adding chess in its coveted list of sports sponsorship.
- It has joined Meltwater Champions Chess Tour as an official partner, in its first sponsorship move into chess.
- Norwegian chess Grandmaster Magnus Carlsen joins other competitive players lineup of ambassador like Lionel Messi, Naomi Osaka, Crystal Dunn and Dan Carter
Banking & Finance
7. ICRA revise GDP growth of India to 9.00% in FY 2022
- Domestic credit rating agency ICRA has revised up gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate of India for the financial year 2021-22 (FY22) to 9%.
- Earlier, this GDP rate was 8.5%.
- RBI expects the economy to grow at 9.5%.
- Centre's spending contracted 4.7% in April-July 2021 year-on-year, and stood at 28.8% of 2021-22 Budget Estimates.
- ICRA: Gurgaon based credit rating agency, owned by Moody’s Corporation.
8. India claims three silver medals at 2021 Archery World Championships
- Team India archers settled for three silver medals at 2021 World Archery Championships held in Yankton, US from 20th to 26th September 2021
- Three silver medals were won in Women’s Compound Individual, Women’s Compound Team and Compound Mixed Team competitions.
- Silver Medal won by India:
- Women’s Compound Individual: Jyothi Surekha Vennam
- Women’s Compound Team: Jyothi Surekha Vennam, Muskar Kirar, Priya Gurjar
- Compound Mixed Team: Abhishek Verma and Jyothi Surekha Vennam
Summits & Conferences
9. 4th Indo-US Health Dialogue held in New Delhi
- Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, Bharati Pravin Pawar has led Indian delegation at 4th Indo-US Health Dialogue, held in New Delhi
- It is a two-day Dialogue and is a platform to deliberate upon multiple ongoing collaborations in the health sector between the two countries.
- Topics for deliberations will include area pertaining to the strengthening of epidemiological research and surveillance and vaccine development.
10. England all-rounder Moeen Ali announces retirement from Test cricket
- England cricket all-rounder Moeen Ali (34 years) has announced his retirement from Test match career.
- He made his debut in Test cricket in 2014 and represented England in 64 Test matches.
- He took 195 Test wickets including 5 five-wicket hauls and scored five Test match centuries during his Test career.
- He affable all-rounder scored 2914 runs at 28.29 and took 195 wickets at 36.66 with his off-spin.
Science & Technology
11. DRDO conducts maiden flight test of Akash Prime Missile off Odisha Coast
- DRDO has successfully conducted maiden test flight of new version of Akash Missile named as ‘Akash Prime’ from Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur, Odisha.
- Akash Prime is equipped with an indigenous active Radio Frequency (RF) seeker for improved accuracy, as compared to the existing Akash System.
- Improved version of the missile will also ensure more reliable performance under low temperature environments at higher altitudes
- Chairman DRDO: G Satheesh Reddy
Summits & Conferences
12. PM Narendra Modi addresses 76th UNGA in New York
- Prime Minister, Narendra Modi has addressed 76th session of United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York.
- Theme 2021: Building resilience through hope – to recover from Covid-19, rebuild sustainably, respond to the needs of the planet, respect the rights of people, and revitalize the United Nations.
- Over 109 heads of state and government addressed UN General Assembly while around 60 addressed the debate through pre-recorded video statements at the event.
13. IGL and SDMC ink MoU to establish Waste to Energy Plant
- Indraprastha Gas Limited (IGL) has signed MoU with South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) to establish waste to energy plant in Delhi to convert Municipal Solid Waste into Compressed Biogas (CBG) for use as fuel for running vehicles
- The agreement was signed as a part of extension of Sustainable Alternative Towards Affordable Transportation (SATAT) scheme
- SDMC shall provide designated area in Hastsal in West Zone to IGL for setting up Biogas plant and CBG Station.
14. NCW launches Training & Capacity Building Program For Women
- National Commission for Women (NCW) has launched country-wide training and capacity building program for women in dairy farming to empower rural women and make them financially independent
- NCW is collaborating with agricultural universities for this
- First program under project was organized on ‘Value Added Dairy products’ for women SHG groups at Lala Lajpat Rai University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, Hisar in association with Haryana State Rural Livelihood Mission