1. Australia beat South Africa to lift ICC Women's T20 World Cup Trophy 2023
- Australian women's cricket team has defeated South Africa by 9 runs to lift the ICC T20 World Cup Trophy 2023 at Newlands, Cricket Ground in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Australian women's cricket team has won this title for the sixth time.
- They have completed a ‘three-peat’ under the captaincy of Meg Lanning, winning in 2018, 2020, and 2023.
- Player of the series: Australia Ashleigh Gardner
- Most runs: South Africa Laura Wolvaardt (230)
2. PM Modi to inaugurate Shivamogga airport in Karnataka
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated Shivamogga airport in Karnataka on 27 February 2023.
- The airport has been built on 663 acres of land with an investment of ₹449.22 crore.
- Apart from this, the prime minister has also inaugurated several other development projects in the poll-bound state.
- The Passenger Terminal Building of the airport can handle 300 passengers per hour.
- The foundation was laid in June 2020 by former CM B S Yediyurappa.
3. Manchester United win the Carabao Cup title 2023
- Manchester United defeated Newcastle to win the Carabao Cup title in 2023 after six years.
- Newcastle is a Saudi Arabia-backed club.
- The Carabao cup is also known as the EFL cup, a major football trophy played in England.
- The competition was open to all clubs participating in the Premier League and the English Football League.
- Liverpool is the most successful club in the competition and has won more than nine championships.
4. Indian wrestler Ankit Gulia bags Bronze in Ibrahim Moustafa ranking series
- Indian Greco-Roman wrestler Ankit Gulia (19) won a bronze medal in the men’s 72 kg division of the Ibrahim Moustafa ranking series in Alexandria, Egypt.
- He lost to Otar Abuladze (Georgia) and got the better of Nurzhigit Keneshbek Uulu (Kyrgyzstan) in the repechage round.
- The Indian grappler won the medal after Iranian 67kg Olympic champion Mohammadreza Abdolhamid Geraei withdrew from the bronze medal match due to an injury.
5. PM Modi to release 13th installment of Rs 16,800 crore under PM-KISAN
- PM Narendra Modi has released the 13th installment of financial benefits worth Rs 16,800 crore to over eight crore eligible farmers under the flagship PM-KISAN scheme.
- PM-KISAN refers to Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi .
- Under this scheme, eligible farmers are provided with a financial benefit of Rs 6,000 per year in three equal installments of Rs 2,000 each every four months.
- The fund is directly transferred to the bank accounts of the beneficiaries.
Summits & Conferences
6. 85th plenary session of the Indian National Congress concludes at Raipur
- The 85th plenary session of the Indian National Congress has been concluded at Raipur, Chhattisgarh.
- The three-day Congress summit was attended by nearly 15,000 delegates from various states and discussed socio-political, political economic, and international affairs.
- During the meeting, they also adopted six resolutions making the party’s stand clear on issues and laying down a party roadmap for them.
- Congress president: Mallikarjun Kharge
National & International Appointments
7. Defence Secretary Aramane Giridhar gets extension till October 2024
- The Appointments Committee of the Union Cabinet approved the extension of the Secretary of the Department of Defence - Aramane Giridhar.
- He will remain in his post until October 31, 2024, or till further order whichever is earlier.
- This extension is beyond his age of superannuation.
- He was due to retire in June 2023, after completing 60 years of superannuation.
- He is a 1988-batch IAS officer of the Andhra Pradesh cadre.
8. Madhya Pradesh women's team wins maiden national hockey title 2023
- Madhya Pradesh women's hockey team won the 13th Hockey India Senior Women National Championship 2023 held in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh.
- MP defeated Hockey Maharashtra by 5-1 in the final.
- MP's Pratibha Arya was adjudged the best defender of the championship.
- She was also awarded the player of the match title.
- The team of Hockey Jharkhand secured third place after defeating Hockey Haryana in the third-place match.
Honours & Awards
9. MIT professor Hari Balakrishnan wins 2023 Marconi Prize
- Computer scientist, Hari Balakrishnan has been awarded the 2023 Marconi Prize.
- He is a professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- The Marconi Prize is a top honor for computer scientists and is awarded by the U.S.-based Marconi Foundation.
- It is given to those who have made a significant contribution to increasing digital inclusivity through advanced information and communications technology.
10. Kerala, UN Women sign pact to boost women-friendly activities in tourism
- The Kerala government signed an agreement with the UN Women to boost women-friendly activities in the State's tourism sector.
- The MoU was signed by Kerala Tourism Director P B Nooh and UN Women India representative Susan Ferguson.
- Both parties agreed to work towards promoting gender-inclusive tourism sites in the State.
- It would be implemented by the Responsible Tourism Mission.
- It will be done by creating modules and capacity-building of relevant stakeholders.
Commentswrite a comment