1. In badminton, HS Prannoy won bronze medal at BWF World Championships
- HS Prannoy bagged a bronze medal in badminton at BWF World Championships 2023 in Denmark.
- He registered a loss to Kunlavut Vitidsarn in the semifinals at the Championships and went down to world number three position.
- This is India's 14th medal at the World Championships.
- This includes one gold, four silvers and nine bronze medals.
- China is the most successful team in the tournament's history, with 196 medals, including 69 gold, 48 silver and 79 silvers.
National & International Appointments
2. Zimbabwean President Mnangagwa re-elected for 2nd and final five-year term
- Zimbabwean President Emmerson Mnangagwa was re-elected for a second and final five-year term in August 2023.
- His victory over his closest competitor, Nelson Chamisa after his first full term in office, strengthened ZANU-PF 's grip on power.
- Zimbabwe has over the past two decades suffered under disastrous economic policies that have led to soaring prices, high unemployment, and a medical system lacking basic drugs and equipment.
3. India hand over B20 presidency to Brazil to host G20 in 2024
- India has handed over the B20 presidency to Brazil to host G20 in 2024.
- According to B20 India Chair N Chandrasekaran India's B20 Presidency under the its G20 Presidency worked under the theme of Vasaudeva Katumbakam (One Earth, One Family, One Future).
- Worked on 9 themes which included the empowerment of women and youth, the transition towards an Artificial Intelligence world, building a global resilient supply chain, and financing for the global economic recovery.
4. Sri Lanka hosts its very first Karnataka cultural festival
- Sri Lanka hosted its very first Karnataka cultural festival organized by the International Cultural Council of India in collaboration with Swami Vivekananda Cultural Centre and M.E Global Peace Foundation
- Aim: To celebrate cultural diversity and mark a significant moment in the shared cultural heritage of India and Sri Lanka
- The event showcased performances by over 30 artists from Karnataka including dances, folk songs, multi-lingual poems, and captivating puppet shows
5. Indian women's visually challenged cricket team won gold at World Cup 2023
- Indian women's visually impaired team won the T-20 final of the International Blind Sports Federation (IBSA) World Games 2023 at Birmingham
- The Indian team defeated Australia by nine wickets in the rain-interrupted match.
- The Indian men's blind cricket team lost to Pakistan in the IBSA World Games final to settle for a silver medal.
- Cricket for the visually challenged made its debut in the International Blind Sports Federation World Games in 2023.
6. Second G20-Chief Scientific Advisers’ Roundtable meeting began in Gujarat
- The second G20-Chief Scientific Advisers’ Roundtable meeting officially began in Gandhinagar in August 2023.
- Science advisors, Scientists, researchers from G20 countries, and invited countries will participate.
- Opportunities in One Health
- Synergizing Global Efforts to Expand the Access to Scholarly Scientific Knowledge
- Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility in Science & Technology
- Institutional Mechanism for Inclusive Global S&T Policy Dialogue
7. Jal Shakti Ministry releases report on 6th census on minor irrigation schem
- The Ministry of Jal Shakti released the report on the sixth census on minor irrigation schemes.
- 23.14 million minor irrigation (MI) schemes have been reported in the country, out of which 21.93 million are groundwater and 1.21 million are Surface Water schemes.
- UP has the largest number of MI schemes in the country followed by Maharastra
- For the first time, information about the gender of the owner of the MI scheme was also collected in case of individual ownership.
8. Law Minister Arjun Ram Meghwal launches Tele-Law- 2.0
- Law and Justice Minister Arjun Ram Meghwal launched Tele-Law- 2.0 which Integrates Tele-Law and Nyaya Bandhu App to ensure access to Justice in New Delhi.
- Aim: To enable the common citizen to access legal advice, legal assistance, and legal representation through a single registration and single gateway of Tele-Law.
- The Minister called upon legal professionals to contribute pro bono services to ensure that no citizen is deprived of essential legal assistance.
Read Full News >>